Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My first Fiero and a 3800sc swap (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My first Fiero and a 3800sc swap by BlownFiero86
Started on: 05-04-2012 11:55 PM
Replies: 197 (25331 views)
Last post by: BlownFiero86 on 11-13-2013 10:46 PM
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jealousy is such a bad thing, why must you continually tempt me so?

[This message has been edited by Stainless1911 (edited 06-01-2012).]

IP: Logged
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Axl_Rose:

nice!

Any clearance issues? Whats left until we can here this baby purrrrr. Boy i wish you were closer, id love to be apart of a swap before i decide to get my own started.

Dan

You can come and help me!! LOL
BlownFiero86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bad thing is I am having so much fun building this car a am ready to do another one. The only problem is if I bought another one I think I might find myself divorced. lol
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Say it's for her, and you're golden.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to get some input from you guys. When I get the car up and running I plan on painting the car, I originally wanted to paint it yellow bcause I thought that color looks awesome on the fiero's, However after seeing so many of then done in yellow I wonder if I should just paint it the original color (black), keep the plan to paint it yellow, or maybe another color altogrther. There are only a couple of fiero's around where I am at and they are either sitting in weeds or bone stock, so the yellow is not totally out of the question.

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 06-02-2012).]

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the grey that's only a couple shades above charcoal. The little BMW 2 seater has that color.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have to have an alignment done and a few other little things but, here is a video for you guys. Let me know what you think. I also apologize for acting a little goofy in the video, I may have been a little excited. LOL

EDIT: Problems with video sound. Reposted new video below.

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 06-05-2012).]

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez, that exhaust is much quieter than I had expected!

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2012 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Surprised me too!! When I watched the video it seems like I remember it being much louder in person. LOL
86 toy

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a hybrid in a grocery store parking lot..lol

[This message has been edited by 86 toy (edited 06-05-2012).]

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This video should work. If you guys don't mind let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfihMIme0g

Also got this video of my boost gauge and aeroforce meter

http://www.youtube.com/watc...ture=channel&list=UL
PFF
System Bot
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just hoping to get some feedback on what you guys think about how it sounds.
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
Also got my Rodney short shift kit. SWEEETT!!!!!!

86 toy

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great I love the choppy idle!!

------------------
--Mark--
Yellow 88 GT 5speed
87 GT 3400 swap project

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news and bad news. The good , I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! I have got to drive it around for a couple of days and it is very quick. It handles like a dream, I can not believe how good it feels in a corner. Has got to be the coolest thing I have ever drove. Now for the bad news . The motor started to knock today, and it sounded like it was coming from the lower end of the motor. I did not go through the bottom end of the motor because it ran good in the previous car. Hide sight being what it is now, I wish I would have. As it would turn out after pulling the oil pan, I have a spun rod bearing. Things are about to get interesting, because after driving this car I loved it so much I am most definitly going to fix it and probably inprove the strenght of the motor via rod bolts, main studs, etc. I will keep you guys posted.

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 06-06-2012).]

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dropped the motor out tonight tonight with the help of my wife . Then I seperated it from the trans and got it up on the engine stand. I am planning on having it to the machinist before the weekend.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I got the motor disassembled and ready to take to the machinest in the morning. Tearing this thing apart is heart breaking, but it has to be done.

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You said it was something in the lower, whats wrong with it?
Axl_Rose

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Axl_RoseSend a Private Message to Axl_RoseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ughhh, im sorry to hear about the lower end knock =( At least you have the swap complete so putting her all back together should be a snap.

oh and about color. im thinking of going pearl white with mine, BMW makes a really nice pearl white. Good luck and keep the updates comming! Oh ya, and those brakes are looking GREAT. i was thinking about doing a corvette swap like most of the other fiero guys but i hear there are some mods that have to be done and you may sacrifice your Ebrake for it...have to do some searching.

Dan
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer 1911. It was the # 5 rod bearing. Rod is bad, crank is bad, and the piston came in contact with the head so I will need a new one of those too. Building it back bullet proof, ordered arp rod bolts, main studs, and head studs. Zz performance sold me good used crank for $250 and a new rod and piston for $50. By the way I like the screen name 1911.
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

I guess that this is the time to just go through it and make it all new. Just one more positive talking point for you.
PFF
System Bot
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the arp fasteners in, along with all my bearings. Also ordered cometic head gaskets and the SI stainless valves offered through zzperformance. Talked to the machinest and for and extra $60 he is going to port and polish the heads. Because to much is never enough. LOL
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlownFiero86:

I got the arp fasteners in, along with all my bearings. Also ordered cometic head gaskets and the SI stainless valves offered through zzperformance. Talked to the machinest and for and extra $60 he is going to port and polish the heads. Because to much is never enough. LOL

Too much power, and your trans is going to hate you.
IMO, a GOOD used long block would be the best option in this order L36,L67,L32,L26.
Stay with stock head gaskets as the cosmetic are very hard to seal, unless you are going to have more than 20+ psi stock is the way to go.
Well at least follow ZZP method and use copper spray but I have heard others that used it and still had sealing issues.

Some performance parts are overated as the Series II engine is a beast in stock form.
I am learning the $$$ way that 90% stock parts + turbo is the way to go on these motors.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 06-13-2012).]

85red2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85red2m6Send a Private Message to 85red2m6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious what you used for coolant etc hoses... I'm doing a similar swap (S1 SC in 85 Convertible), and that's one thing I never see in swap threads is the list of all the 'little' parts that make it all come together...
also, I'm curious, I saw where you routed the ECM wiring around the pass side strut tower, and I was wondering if there was any clearance issues with your low-mounted alt there?

I was also considering true dual exhaust, but I was leaning more towards running the rear thru the stock muffler location and exiting driver side, and the front being thru the cat location, and exiting pass side... I'm surprised that yours is so quiet without the mufflers on there, lol... did you ever do a vid with them on?

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 2.8 Auto - Blackie
1985 Fiero GT 2.8 4-spd - Goldie II - To be driveable this season
1985 Fiero SE Targa - 3.8SC - long term project
1987 Cavalier Z24 2.8 5-spd - daily beaten driver
1993 Bonneville SSEi - 3800SC donor for 85 Targa

[This message has been edited by 85red2m6 (edited 06-14-2012).]

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already bought the cometic gaskets from zzp and copper spray. If I have any problems I will let you guys know, but steve at zzp told me as long as I use the spray on block, heads, and both sides of gaskets that I shouldn't have any problems with it sealing. As far as power goes a though having the heads done couldn't hurt anything. I am only running a 3.4 pulley and a comp VS cam. I am installing better lifters, springs, and push rods, but those should just help with longevity of the motor. I am not trying to go to crazy with power, but for $60 I though it might be a good purchase for a few extra horses. As for the coolent hoses, I am using the drivers side tube with hose joints and thermo housing from WCF and a universal flex hose with and adapter on the passenger side. There wasn't any clearance issues with my lower mount alt and the harness, it actually had a lot more room than I originally expected. Unfortunately the test drive without the mufflers is when it began to knock. When I get it going agian I will post another vid w/o mufflers and one with mufflers so you can make a direct comparison. If you guys have any other question, comments, or know of things that I need to wtch out for I would love hear from you. Thanks, Ben
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats beautiful. Wish i could figure out how to do half that stuff, I would have my own "big engine" swap.

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: " TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754

Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

Thats beautiful. Wish i could figure out how to do half that stuff, I would have my own "big engine" swap.

It''s all nuts and bolts. You have the resources here to help out when you get stuck. With a project like this, all you have to do, is start the project, and do something each day.

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MLS gaskets suck. Run some felpros on it and keep your timing under 20 degrees... I have to go cometic because I feel the need to run 30psi of boost out of a big turbo.
normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, very impressive!! keep positive. Thanks Norm

------------------
Norm Vandermee

gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Call my Jealous because I want to steal it!!!!

you've actually done an "original swap". putting the engine fuse box in the ECM location is a great idea!
and taking the engine apart after fully finishing the swap just to make sure everything is perfect. You're just like me!!!

as for the "true dual exhaust" - YOU ROCK!!!! making the rear powerlog is SWEET!!! I just think the flow may be slightly less than the front due to the tight curve. but it sure beats stock, or ported manifolds.

keep up the great work!!!
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the motor back. I had the block and heads squared up, had the block honed, and all mains checked. I had all the rods resized, new cam bearings pressed in, and all new brass freeze plugs installed. My machinest installed new valve guides, new SI stainless steel valves, and port and polished the heads. After getting the parts back I started assembly. Here is a couple of picks of the bottom end after I installed pistons with new bearing and all ARP fasters for rods and main caps.

PFF
System Bot
BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a chance to get a little more done. Started on the heads and the first thing I took pics of is the head studs. Don't ask me why, I just think they look awsome. Looking at the studs sticking out of the block make it look like a serious monster of a motor.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
Then I took the copper coating recomended by ZZP and coated the heads, block, and gaskets.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
Put the heads on and torqued everything down. Installed balancing shaft,cam, timing chain, and timing gears. Now it is starting to like something again!

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 06-20-2012).]

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a couple of days since my last post but I have got alot of things done. I finished putting the motor toget her and attached it back to the trans and cradle. Here are some pics of the progress.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
Some more pics.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I had somewhere around 2800 views and now it only shows around 70. Does anyone know what happened?

EDIT: after posting this everything returned to normal. Wierd????

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 06-22-2012).]

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlownFiero86:

I had somewhere around 2800 views and now it only shows around 70. Does anyone know what happened?

EDIT: after posting this everything returned to normal. Wierd????

Yeah, I've seen it do that on all of them. It happens when a thread gets moved up to the first thread of a new listing page.

Nice build, you will have permagrin every time you open your garage door when you get it running.

I did mine in black, I still have to do the tires and rims in black. I'm gonna go with Motegi Track Lites I think and some Nitto drag radials. I did dual dogbones because I plan on modding it heavily.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't posted for a couple of days, but I have been getting alot done. I got all the old insulation off of the firewall and replaced it with two layers of 1/4 thick mighty matt that I bought off of ebay. Was only going to do one, but I had lots of extra material and figured it couldn't hurt.

BlownFiero86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BlownFiero86

295 posts
Member since May 2012
I also got he motor in the car and got it running for the second time. LOL. If it helps anyone out the mighty matt for ebay is awesome, it killed a lot of the sound in the cab of the car and that is saying alot becuase it still does not have any mufflers. I will try to post video of car running soon.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock