Automatic to 5 speed conversion by Atlanta1
Started on: 05-03-2012 11:39 PM
Replies: 8 (258 views)
Last post by: NetCam on 08-10-2012 05:49 PM
Atlanta1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

05-03-2012 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am converting an auto 2.8 1988 fiero to a 3.4 with 5 speed getrag. Wheres the place to get manuel Drive axles?
Is there anything I need to do for the conversion? New flywheel?

IP: Logged

Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

05-03-2012 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezClick Here to Email Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any Fiero standard trans axles will work, even remans from the parts store. I probably have 4 or 5 passenger side axles from doing 4t65e swaps, but I use all the drivers side ones I can find.

Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

07-22-2012 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anyone have any methods for the wiring from an automatic to a 5 speed getrag
for the back up lights and any other stuff? I know it will entail some splicing of wires etc...

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 284
Rate this member

07-22-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Extend the VSS connector (Yellow and Purple wires)

Cut off the shift switch connector. Splice the two fat Yellow and Purple wires together. Splice a reverse switch connector on the Blue and Green wires. The other wires are not used.

You should swap your PROM in your ECM to a manual transmission one.

Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

07-22-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks I am changing out the ECU from a 5 speed car

IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

07-22-2012 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Click Here to Email IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Atlanta1:

I am converting an auto 2.8 1988 fiero to a 3.4 with 5 speed getrag. Wheres the place to get manuel Drive axles?
Is there anything I need to do for the conversion? New flywheel?

What all do you already have?

You will have to get the following:
clutch pedal and brake pedal set.
Master cylinder and slave cylinder.
Fluid line.
Shifter assembly and interior surround.
Shift cables.
ECM.
Steering column for a manual or adapt yours.
Adapt the engine harness.
Axels for the trans.

-Dave

Raydar

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 429
Rate this member

07-22-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For the engine harness, you will have to extend the VSS wires. The reverse light switch on the automatic is right there by the gear selector.
You'll need a pigtail to plug it into the Getrag reverse light switch. The Getrag switch is right there on the tranny, near the shift/select arms.

The big yellow wire is the "start" wire. It changes to purple on the other side of the P/N switch.
I just ran the yellow wire to the starter when I converted mine.

Swapping to a manual harness is another option, but you'll have to move the "start" wire in one side of the C500 connector. (The one above the battery.)

Both of these scenarios will do away with any sort of interlock. Meaning your car will be able to be started in gear.
You can add the switch to the clutch pedal if you want. I can't recommend that you do otherwise, although I skipped this step on my build.
I also retained the automatic column, but I removed the cable that allows it to lock the shifter.

The other "gotcha" is that if you have a trunk popper, it will work at all times. Normally there is an interlock for that, too.

You asked about the flywheel. You'll need a manual 88 Fiero flywheel. Or one from an 89 - early 90s 3.1 Beretta (or similar) with a manual tranny.
They're all similar.

Edit - Sent you a PM.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-22-2012).]

Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

08-10-2012 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a question in reference to the steering column on the 5 speed conversion.
will the key not lock in place or what options do I have on the steering column?

NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

08-10-2012 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The automatic will have a cable coming from the shifter that allows you to lock the steering column when the car is put in park, the standard has a manual switch. You can disable the switch if you don't want to swap parts in the steering column, but you will be able to turn the key back to the lock position at any time, including when the car is moving, which was the purpose of the switch in the first place.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock