87 GT front crossmember restoration by lordbg0205
Started on: 04-23-2012 11:09 PM
Replies: 12 (1384 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 10-31-2013 01:16 PM
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever tried to repair their front crossmember in an 87? Mine has ovaled out the hole for the upper control arms, and i was thinking about cutting off the old tubes and welding in a new set. Has anyone ever tried this? I know I can buy a refurbed crossmember from the fiero store, but i fear that I will have a hell of a time pulling it out, and break more stuff than i want to. Any suggestions?

-thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

Has anyone ever tried to repair their front crossmember in an 87? Mine has ovaled out the hole for the upper control arms, and i was thinking about cutting off the old tubes and welding in a new set. Has anyone ever tried this? I know I can buy a refurbed crossmember from the fiero store, but i fear that I will have a hell of a time pulling it out, and break more stuff than i want to. Any suggestions?

-thanks

You mean pulling the crossmember off the car? Its actually really easy (unless you have rusted in bolts to the frame- PITA). I don't think I've ever seen that done before, but if you're confident in your welding skills- why not?

Man those were some good times when I was doing my suspension

BTW- If you do decide to try and remove it to replace it, make sure you remove the springs beforehand. I stupidly removed the entire assembly, only to realize that no possible spring compressors would fit- and had to bolt it back up to remove them.

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 04-23-2012).]

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the same thing.... I have a fully assembled front cross member sitting in my garage that I have no idea how to take apart now.

------------------
11 Camaro SS/RS
86 Fiero GT
03 Silverado 3500 Duramax! (Stacked, Tuned, Mean as Hell)
07 Suburban LT2
09 Avalanche LT3

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I scrapped an '87 front crossmember because of badly "egged" out upper sleeves.

The sleeves are too short, they act like a very small hinge on a heavy door, I thought about best way to resolve that issue would be to brace the long upper crossmember bolt at the outer ends to reduce the oscillation, the bolt is hardened steel inside mild steel sleeve, even the bolt had visible wear, I even scrapped the bolts when I rebuilt my front end.

The upper mount that bolts to the frame could be modified to brace the bolt at the outer ends, to carry the bolt in place of the washers. I haven't done this modification yet, but the problem is not unique.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Another comparison would be a wrist pin that is too small.
marshall12285

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marshall12285Send a Private Message to marshall12285Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have this exact same issue. Did you ever have any success? My idea is to drill out the ovaled hole to a nice over-sized circle and insert/weld in a sleeve inside the old sleeve to get it back down to a properly sized circle. Some sort of reinforcement would be a good idea but i'd be happy with it just not being ultra wobbly like it is now. Anybody else have any input?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's too bad there isn't something like this that we can just swap in.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-27-2012).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

It's too bad there isn't something like this that we can just swap in.

closest thing...

PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll need to have a look at my front crossmember, have a clunking noise when braking/accelerating (one single clunk when coming off the brakes and hitting the throttle) which is slightly alarming. Does anyone other than Held offer a front suspension upgrade for the 84-87? Depending on the cost (which I suspect will be a bit of a problem with shipping, taxes and VAT) swapping it all out is tempting.

Also, is there a guide to removing the front crossmember?
ricksmastermix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The upper spindle on the drivers side of my front cross-member tore loose several months ago. I was able to weld it back in place and reinforced both sides of each spindle end with grade 8 washers formed (Beat with a hammer) to the x-member and then welded to the x-member and spindle end. It is very strong and should never be a problem again. I did have to have a wheel alignment after the repair, however.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

closest thing...

Very pricey and probably overkill for the street.

They also have this, which converts the front end to coil-overs with tubular control arms.
Site: http://arrautmotorsports.co...pension-information/

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by marshall12285:

I have this exact same issue. Did you ever have any success? My idea is to drill out the ovaled hole to a nice over-sized circle and insert/weld in a sleeve inside the old sleeve to get it back down to a properly sized circle. Some sort of reinforcement would be a good idea but i'd be happy with it just not being ultra wobbly like it is now. Anybody else have any input?

I was thinking of the same thing. Why not weld in or bolt in or whatever some inserts?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by fierosound:

Very pricey and probably overkill for the street.

They also have this, which converts the front end to coil-overs with tubular control arms.
Site: http://arrautmotorsports.co...pension-information/

But you are still using the factory tubes which are said to wear out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock