Grand Am Brake Upgrade by steinke_andy
Started on: 04-15-2012 08:25 PM
Replies: 20 (10158 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 11-01-2022 07:30 PM
steinke_andy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_andySend a Private Message to steinke_andyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The title is pretty generic so that this can be easily found when searching.

My brother and I did the Grand Am brake upgrade between yesterday and today. Prior to us starting we did our research and found most of the information that we were looking for. There were however a couple questions that were not answered very well on the other topics. Also we couldn't find very many helpful pictures of certain parts of the upgrade.

This is not really a guide on how to do the actual upgrade itself. It might turn into that eventually but for now its just a bunch of pictures and information on how we did it and pictures that I think will help people that are wanting to do the upgrade themselves without buying a kit.

I guess a good place to start is with the end result.

Here is the drivers side rear brake.

and here is the drivers side front brake.

I will be working on posting the rest of the pictures with descriptions and all that fun stuff as I can. If there is anything that you are looking for specifically just let me know and I will answer it the best I can.

The car that this upgrade is on does not currently drive because we are waiting on a clutch slave cylinder that should be in in a couple of days. So I cannot really give any input on how well they work, also never drove this car before doing the brake upgrade.

AS

[This message has been edited by steinke_andy (edited 04-15-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steinke_andy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_andySend a Private Message to steinke_andyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first biggest question I had about the swap, and couldn't easily find the answer for, was what actually got machined off the front hub/rotor. We were lucky enough to have gotten the already machined hubs in a lot sale last year. This made the upgrade a little easier for us but didn't really answer the question of what changed. The following are pictures of the rotors we pulled off our car and the turned down rotors that we had.

This is the rotor we pulled off the car.

This is the hub (left) next to the new grand am rotor (right)

Here is a closeup of the side of the hub, you can see a little lip on it.

That lip is where the original rotor extended out. This helped me realize that all the machinist did was cut off the disc part of the rotor. If I am wrong please let me know, the point of this thread is to hopefully get more information about the grand am brake upgrade centralized into one spot.

AS
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, basically you just cut off the disc. Although, if you want to get fancy, you can match the outer diameter of your modded hub to the inner diameter of the Grand Am brake rotor hat. You might want to leave a little "wiggle room", to allow for surface rust buildup.
steinke_andy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_andySend a Private Message to steinke_andyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had to modify the front mounting brackets so that the grand am calipers and rotors would mount up and spin freely.

There was slight interference between the caliper and the bracket here (between the yellow lines).

The bracket is painted black. At the yellow arrow, there is an obvious high spot on the bracket that interferes with the rotor. This has to be ground down. I made match the surrounding metal thickness. At the blue arrow (on the bracket), there is a similar issue which we treated the same way.

AS

[This message has been edited by steinke_andy (edited 04-15-2012).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some photos from my Grand Am brake upgrade several years ago. They show the stuff you have to grind on. Mind if I post them?
steinke_andy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_andySend a Private Message to steinke_andyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be great!
When we were looking for information about this upgrade, the information was scattered all over the place. Any input you (or anybody else) may have is greatly appreciated.
Hopefully this will be an all-in-one thread for the grand am brake upgrade.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know why, maybe it was the cheap rotors I bought, but my hubs had to have more removed to get the rotors to fit over them. I'm going to give this front setup to my dad shortly because I did an 88 cradle swap in the rear and now my brakes are poor. At that time I'm also going to be putting longer wheel studs in the hubs.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-15-2012).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here ya go. The following photos show in detail where and how much to grind on the front caliper brackets.

This first photo shows you the areas that will need to be ground down.

The next photo illustrates that the brackets have a machined surface, which you can measure from. Thus you can make a measurement of the bracket thickness, and determine how much material to grind off.

The next photo shows you what thickness to grind the bracket down to. On my Fiero, the brackets were approximately 0.80" thick. I ground them down to about 0.65" thick.

I didn't take any measurements on the other interference point (where the bottom of the caliper hits the bracket). That was a "shave to fit" operation.
And this last photo shows you what the result should look like. Notice the gap between the rotor and the caliper bracket, where before there was interference.

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could go with Sunbird GT front brakes and not have to cut or grind anything. Of course, you will still need the hubs machined, but no other modifications.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year Sunbird? I haven't heard that one before.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

What year Sunbird? I haven't heard that one before.

88, 89.. I have them on my 87GT.
PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

You could go with Sunbird GT front brakes and not have to cut or grind anything. Of course, you will still need the hubs machined, but no other modifications.

The next question is, how does the piston diameter compare to the Grand Am.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

The next question is, how does the piston diameter compare to the Grand Am.

I didn't think to check. Basically, they are the Fiero brakes, only vented.
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post04-16-2012 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
google =www.fierosails.com
go to fiero secretes
read brake upgrade ,grand am
brake conversion using berretta parts,by randy agee
fiero sails has a full 1/2 day of fiero reading INVESTIGATE..OH JOY

to improve Fiero brakes use top quality pads ,,people go with lowest price!! a no no with Fiero brake pads
using wagner thermo quiets on the front will improve your brakes or fiero store carbomet
the problem with most Fiero brakes is the owner purchased lowest price
ebc,hawk & many others work ,,but the thermoquiets are an all around quality pad,,good to see many fiero owners now run these on thier other cars
steinke_andy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_andySend a Private Message to steinke_andyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
uhlanstan, I read that post while doing my own research. I found it hard to follow and even harder to read.

Here is a link to that page for those of you that want to check it out.

This thread is for information on the grand am brake upgrade. I don't want it to turn into an argument about whether its better than any of the other types of upgrade. Everyone has their reasons for doing, or not doing, this upgrade. This is just a place for the people that want to do it to come and get the specifics about how to do it.

AS
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is an old thread but I had a question about this.

What keeps the new rotor centered on the old hub once its installed? If the outer diameter of the hub isn't matched exactly to the new disc, can it be misaligned?
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More than likely you will need to find some centering rings that fit between the hub and the rotor.
I found some on eBay that worked. However, they are plastic and not that durable. I may look into getting some
metal rings but that may require getting the rotor ID bored out to fit.

Here's the link for the seller I bought them from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spi...?hash=item3cdc60e617

[This message has been edited by ag9123 (edited 05-18-2015).]

steinke_phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_philSend a Private Message to steinke_philEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly, the old hub-centering for the fiero wheel matches the hub bore on the grand am rotors. I no longer have the vehicle so I can't check, but the pictures look to be a pretty tight fit. However, it does look like most of the wheel centering was lost to the thickness of the added rotor.

Hope this helps,
Phil
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to safety check the car, you'll want this thread

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-083566.html

wilberto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2022 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wilbertoSend a Private Message to wilbertoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm searching all over for 87 GA rear calipers, can't find them...any suggestions?
Thanks
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2022 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wilberto:

I'm searching all over for 87 GA rear calipers, can't find them...any suggestions?
Thanks

Search for the front calipers.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay