Started on: 04-03-2012 07:54 PM
Replies: 11 (329 views)
Last post by: Fiero Vampire on 11-20-2014 03:17 PM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so im working on updating my front suspension, and i decided to strip down my 88 rack to paint it and add the brass RD bushing. I decided it would be a good idea to remove the two rubber mounts to get the body of the rack clean. The smaller one was easy as its split in half to allow you to fit it around the rack. The larger of the two was not so easy to remove and now I need to replace it. I ended up bending it too much to use again, but now I can't find a replacement. I tried WCF, RD and the Fiero Store, no joy. The picture below (not mine - I found it on the forum) shows the large mount im talking about.

Anyone have a lead on where to get one.

Thanks

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-06-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRClick Here to Email ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Used is going to be your only choice I think... Post in the mall a WTB, I am sure someone will have one... If not, you may have to make one or find some other car that has one that would be a close fit...
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Click Here to Email fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

OK, so im working on updating my front suspension, and i decided to strip down my 88 rack to paint it and add the RD bushing. I removed the mounts to get the body of the rack clean, and now I need to replace the large mount that was a ***** to get off. I ended up bending it up too bad to use again, but now I can't find a replacement. I tried WCF, RD and the Fiero Store, no joy. The picture below (not mine - I found it on the forum) shows the large mount im talking about.

Anyone have a lead on where to get one.

Thanks

Rob

Do you need the rubber bushing or the steel mounting peice?? Your best bet for both would probably The Fiero Factory in AL.

Post in the mall for a request, maybe some member could help you out.
Jeff S

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff SSend a Private Message to Jeff SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did mine. To get that mount off, I used a checkbook and a pen.
If interested, this is how the finished product can look. The mechanic I use media blasted the whole thing, painted it. I didn't even ask him to go that far - he just gets me. RD bushing was needed. Everything else was just good to do as long as it was apart. All ball joints, inner and outer tierods, it turned out awesome. Sounds like you'll be able to find the mount again. I waited a a couple of weeks to get it aligned. Should have done it right away. You'll love it when it's done.

[This message has been edited by Jeff S (edited 04-03-2012).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm ready to install my 88 rack and tried both the Napa and O'Reilly websites. Both are "out of stock" and "no idea when they will have them" for these 88 rack bushings. Anyone else have a line on new ones? I know its hard to believe, but are there any to be found on Earth?

Rob

Edit: wow, has it really been a year since I posted this?

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 04-03-2013).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
other than getting them used, has anyone had luck finding these new?

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still working this issue. Since the large rubber bushing was distroyed taking it off, I have been looking for another one. Finding one in the yard has been a chore. I missed my chance when a 88GT was in my local yard. I did get a few parts off it, but forgot to get the rack, when I went back it was gone.... Damn!!!

I have noticed that a few other cars/trucks use a similar bushing on the rack. Toyota trucks being one. I took a chance and bought a poly bushing set for a Toyota truck and its too large. I'm not even sure I can make it fit. I also noticed that several companys offer a "billet rack mount" that would bolt to the rack and then to the crossmember. If they didn't cost $65 +, I'd have already bought one.

When you type "mount, rack and pinion", into Google, you get back tons of data on aftermarket/hot rod mounting of the R&P. Has anyone else tried any of the aftermarket options?

I guess this is a bump to see if anyone else had ever needed to replace their bushing, and what they did.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-06-2013).]

Gerard7AA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gerard7AAClick Here to Email Gerard7AASend a Private Message to Gerard7AAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not available from NAPA. I just tried.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you still are looking for one and can't find one in the Mall or a local junk yard I would try contacting sardonyx247 here on the forum, the Fiero Club may have an 88 in the yard that he could possibly sale you the part off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock