Started on: 03-22-2012 08:50 PM
Replies: 180 (12151 views)
Last post by: KissMySSFiero on 03-27-2018 02:22 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Tried to race someone today and I can't do a quick 3-4 shift. It feels like it goes in half way then kicks out when I let the clutch out. Any other time it goes in fine without grinding or anything. I can't recreate what is happening under normal shifting conditions either. Only happens on a fast shift into 4th. All other gears go in fine. Any ideas?

Otherwise everything's seems to be going good. Drove it ~150 miles while convoying to a few car meets.

Definitely check the appropriate travel first. Remember that bracket or cable flex can limit the travel when you're pulling hard on the shifter, even if you don't have any problems during normal driving.

How's the powershift into 3rd treating you? 4th is the "pull" shift on the cable, but 3rd is the "push" shift... I'm wondering if you're bending the unsupported length of rod in the 3rd shift and then straightening it out on the 4th gear shift.
IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How's the powershift into 3rd treating you? 4th is the "pull" shift on the cable, but 3rd is the "push" shift... I'm wondering if you're bending the unsupported length of rod in the 3rd shift and then straightening it out on the 4th gear shift.

I suggested that to some degree as well, the cable pushes across the plane of the shift arm at a diagonal.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear she is running well. Any luck on the shifting problem?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sometimes have the same issue with 3rd and 5th, sometimes I have to firmly shift and hold it there with my hand while I let the clutch out, or it'll grind/pop out.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I suggested that to some degree as well, the cable pushes across the plane of the shift arm at a diagonal.

I don't know what you were looking at.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2012 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the shifter arm. Where it connects to the shaft there is a roll pin that holds it in. There is movement, like a titling action. It moves the same amount of both transmission so I assume it's supposed to wiggle. I'm thinking there could be a bind if tilts one way while shifting hard.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 05-13-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figured it out. The top bolt that I have going through the counterweight was too long and sticking out of the other side. It must have come in contact with something on a hard shift. All better now

I think my car sounds louder now and even drones a bit. Its gotta be because it's mounted all more rigid than before.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 05-17-2012).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still holding up ok with what, 500+WHP?
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All better now

I think my car sounds louder now and even drones a bit. Its gotta be because it's mounted all more rigid than before.

Good, when are you going to the Track... Let's see if you can get that 10 sec slip.

Slap on a resenator tip, bigger muffler, or sumpthin as that 3800 Drone sound is Weak Sauce.
Haven't you learned anything the the 3800 vs V8 threads, Grasshoppa ???
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He did, its called a turbo...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds nothing like a 3800sc... I can just tell that the vibration is resonating inside now. I haven't done anything too crazy with it yet. I have the boost knocked down a few psi waiting for my clutch to start working again. It likes to slip in 4th right now. It was working great when I took it to the track last fall and before the 282 busted. I'm hoping I can find a deal on a twin disk or something.

------------------
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatz up with da F23 Turbo 3800? Is it running or up on blocks? Are we going to see some Circle track or 1/4 mile runs or what?

I'm waiting on some updates...
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Whatz up with da F23 Turbo 3800? Is it running or up on blocks? Are we going to see some Circle track or 1/4 mile runs or what?

I'm waiting on some updates...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121696.html

Waiting on the rear pads, should be here Thursday. I've been too busy to do anything else. I haven't done anything too crazy yet.

It's all shifting great. The 282 was difficult to shift from neutral to first sometimes and its so nice that it slips right in now.

------------------
11.54@132.7

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! How's the F23?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's still doing good. No problems so far. I blew a head gasket earlier this week at the worst possible time. I just got it back running again tonight.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I have some bad news. The trans has been making a whirrel/whine sound for awhile now. It would only make noise under load and decel in gear. It seemed to be getting worse so I pulled it out tonight. While I was splitting the case I could hear things clicking around as it was coming apart.

Do you think I can save if by taking the roller bearing and that carrier thing from the other F23 into this one. Do you think I can polish the intermediate shaft enough so it doesn't destroy the new bearings? All the gears look fantastic.

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-22-2013).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, sucks that it was the fy1 shaft too. Idk how I would feel about running those bearings on an unhardened surface. Simple fix is put the old diff back in it
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I found the right size, do you think it would be possible to press a ball bearing like this onto the intermediate shaft or is that just crazy? I'm thinking that I going to need something stronger.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just looked thru my pictures and the opposite side of that shaft gets pressed in to a roller bearing. The od of the shaft of the opposite side is much smaller however. I can't remember exactly but the bearing od may be similar. Also, consider the bearing that you have to press out to pull the bell off, for comparison.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep us posted if you come up with an upgrade. I'm planning on picking up a couple of F23's and making a hybrid one of these days, and I'd rather it not suffer a similar fate,,,

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up another FY1 today so I can get the car back on the road by the weekend. Hopefully I can figure something out so I can save this broken one. I just don't know how that intermediate shaft is going to play with a new bearing. I wonder if I could mill it and put a harder collar over it... I'll deal with that when the car is out of the garage. Maybe it was just a freak thing or at least I hope it lasts until winter again.

------------------
11.17@132.6

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see that being an issue if everything else was in spec. I assume none of the shims were checked, I didn't bother on mine, nor were any of the tolerances. Also, I'd put the case together with the anaerobic gasket maker and not rtv, as there will be a few thou thickness difference. I don't know how much this contributed, but I'd try to get as close to factory as possible.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will do.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you think I can save if by taking the roller bearing and that carrier thing from the other F23 into this one. Do you think I can polish the intermediate shaft enough so it doesn't destroy the new bearings? All the gears look fantastic.

No.
The bearing surface on the output shaft is trashed. You need to replace that shaft as well as the race and retainer in the case, and obviously the rollers and cage.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-24-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000

If I found the right size, do you think it would be possible to press a ball bearing like this onto the intermediate shaft or is that just crazy? I'm thinking that I going to need something stronger.

No.
A ball bearing will have a much lower radial load capacity than the roller you already destroyed.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I just looked thru my pictures and the opposite side of that shaft gets pressed in to a roller bearing. The od of the shaft of the opposite side is much smaller however. I can't remember exactly but the bearing od may be similar. Also, consider the bearing that you have to press out to pull the bell off, for comparison.

The bearing you fragged sees much higher loading than the bearing at the other end due to the separation loads from the final drive mesh.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

No.
The bearing surface on the output shaft is trashed. You need to replace that shaft as well as the race and retainer in the case, and obviously the rollers and cage.

Yeah I figured.

I went to a GM dealer parts counter and got a part number for the roller bearing and cup/race. They come as a pair for $53. Part number 93334160. He said it showed unavailable and would have to send a request. I see there are places online that sell it.

A few posts up I said it was the intermediate shaft but it's actually the main shaft.

I took some measurements if anyone comes up with a stronger solution. This is from the new FY1 I just got.

Looks like I forgot a few measurements I wanted to get.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like there are 15 rollers. What diameter are they?

Is the "race" area of the output shaft recessed under a shoulder at the end?

Is the 2.115 number the ID of the bore in the case or the retainer?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-24-2013).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no shoulder at the end of the shaft. I went looking through my old pics and it seems my old bearing was showing wear too... I have pics of the new bearing, there are no marks on it. Maybe this is a potential weak point?

edit, had to shrink the pic down because it kept saying over 300k. That seriously needs to get raised to perhaps 500k. Decided just to crop it

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-25-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking back at the picture of when I split the case. The broken bearing looks like its upside down... Anyone else see that?

------------------
11.17@132.6

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right,that little extra plastic retains them axially. The opposite side is more open but there is no place for them to go. Hmm..
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll feel like an idiot if that was the cause. I'll also feel relived if its not a week point and just user error.

------------------
11.17@132.6

rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles were you able to put on that tranny before it blew? Ray
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been running mine since 2007, probably over 20k mi
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's plenty, considering that you're running it at 3 or more times it's rated throughput.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put around 4,000 miles on it.

Looking at what was left of the cage the bearing was definitely upside down unless it somehow flipped when I split the case.

------------------
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-26-2013).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009
I have about 20 miles on it now. Everything seems good. It's so nice not hearing it whine anymore!

------------------
11.17@132.6

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn you're quick at getting things apart and back together
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no kidding.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ha. Yeah, I like to drive it so I bust it out when I have time.

------------------
11.17@132.6

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave