Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Build Thread: Customizing My 87' GT by mitchjl22
Started on: 03-13-2012 06:54 PM
Replies: 223 (13787 views)
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 05-17-2021 01:53 AM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what your in for.......

I have wanted to start a build thread for the longest time for my 87' GT. I have done a moderate amount of work to the car and would love critiques, advice, and help from lots of the guys on the forum. I'm so happy to be part of such a great community. I realized how helpful this website would be when i replaced various clutch components of my fiero (Thanks Phonedawgz). Wish me luck!

First Picture I Ever Took

First Race

Edit: Fix Images

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 09-12-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. Nice car.

I have two build threads, one for each car. The two cars I have were non runners when i bought them. I believe its a good idea to keep a build thread for your car so any maintenance or upgrades get documented. This will help when/if it comes time to sell.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Welcome to the forum. Nice car.

I have two build threads, one for each car. The two cars I have were non runners when i bought them. I believe its a good idea to keep a build thread for your car so any maintenance or upgrades get documented. This will help when/if it comes time to sell.

Thats a great idea. I didn't even think about using it for resale.

I really like the idea of a 3800 swap. How hard was it for you to do yours?

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not hard. Working on these cars to me is like therapy. Or you you could need therapy afterwards.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not hard. Working on these cars to me is like therapy. Or you you could need therapy afterwards.

So i just looked through and read your entire 3800 Build thread. It will probably be a long while before I get around to anything like that (I'm 16, it's my first car). I was interested for a while on doing some kind of low PSI turbo on the stock 2.8. Know of any good threads on the matter? I've head it's not the best idea to turbo the stock 2.8, but I'm planning on doing a major tune up and cleaning (Possibly install better cam). While i had the cradle out, i thought it would be the best time to work on something like that.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My last club meeting someone did a presentation on how to turbo a 2.8. He is using 7 pounds of boost and says its been running fine that way for years. Any thing more than that he said you would need forged pistons. Just what I heard.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My last club meeting someone did a presentation on how to turbo a 2.8. He is using 7 pounds of boost and says its been running fine that way for years. Any thing more than that he said you would need forged pistons. Just what I heard.

Do you have his username?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will find out.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a Turbo Kit on eBay... What do you think?

Click Here
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a Few Upgrades. LED Interior Lights, Kenwood Deck

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-23-2012).]

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the way your center console was done. Any details on the way they built that?

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4, Suspension Technologies with coilovers, Complete poly suspension.

Donnie

PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2012 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donnie072003:

I like the way your center console was done. Any details on the way they built that?

Well, the way the box was built was fairly simple. It's all about the right dimensions. I can't really give you the exact dimensions just cause i don't think West Coast Fiero Would really appreciate that. If i had it to do over, I might have had him just cut a big square hole, so i could've just used the original plate that held the ash trays. PM if you have any more questions.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed Cool Ambient Light. LEDGlow Hooked me up

Edit: Image Fix

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-01-2012).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2012 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Brother is a Professional Photographer. Here's a fantastic video he shot of me enjoying my fiero.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 12-23-2012).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2012 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putting in some more bass!!! Can't wait to show it to everybody interested in it at NWFF.
Would anyone buy these boxes if i made them to sell?
Specs:
  • Mounting Depth of 8"
  • 1.36cubic feet of internal air volume
  • Good Legroom

Could mount any of the following:

• 2-3 - 8" Subs (Sealed/Ported)
  • 1 - 10" (Ported)
  • 2 - 10" Subs (Sealed)
  • 1 - 12" Sub (Sealed/Ported)
  • 1 - 15" Sub (Shown Below)

Relief for driver and Cooling (It is Sealed)

Carpeted to match the Ozzite on Rear

DONE!

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New Rodney Short Shifter

Brighter Dash Bulbs

New Brakes

New Rims

Great Time on Fiero club run

Edit: Pictures

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2012 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for a donor car for a Series II 3800SC
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update before it gets ARCHIVED!

Got Mr. Mikes Seats installed,

Performing Alignment (Installing camber bolts)

Having a Birthday! (10/11/12)

New Decklid Strut and Steam Clean!

Luck Peak With Dad! (And Holley Scoop )

Steam Clean #2!

Edit: Pictures

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to dad for the LED Logo projectors for my birthday! They look amazing!

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a $90 ticket today and my parents took my car. So, no updates for a while I guess... or maybe there will be a lot because I'll have plenty of reasons to tear my car apart. I'm not going anywhere anyway. only time will tell.
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's it? Just 90$! That's a bargain around here.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha, ha!

I feel no pain for you my friend. I have had only one my entire driving career. (looks around, knocks on wood.)

Tony
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stainless1911:

That's it? Just 90$! That's a bargain around here.

Yes, it was for rolling through a stop sign. -__-
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got an $80 photo radar ticket for 61 km\h in a 50km\h zone (38mph in a 31mph). At first I thought is was an award for driving that slow until I read the fine print.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2012 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Yes, it was for rolling through a stop sign. -__-

Pops took away your privileges for that? Damn, sorry. I hope that it won't be a long grounding?

Tony

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first thing you need for a 3800 swap is a spare cradle. That is the only thing from your old drive line that you will reuse. Than make a "cradle stand" so you don't have to work on the floor. That way you can still drive the car and work on the 3800 swap. And your car will not be apart/down for a long time. When you take some thing apart, take pictures, alot of pictures. If the project gets away from you, when you come back you have a record.

OH, and stop for stop signs. When you drive a old car, you are intrusted with the care and protection of it.

cars with out a back seat are safer that cars with a back seat. Children in the back seat can cause accadents. Accadents in the back seat can cause children. Be safe.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Decided to Block off the EGR and clean the Upper Plenum. The code 32 was beginning to annoy.... and here's what I found...... eww

There was some kind of white stuff behind the blockage... it resembled white lithium grease.
Other than that the EGR system was actually in good shape.

I need a new throttle body gasket and upper plenum gaskets. Also, if anyone has or knows of the Upper intake plenum torque order that would be great.

-Mitch

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luckily, I have access to a 35,000 square foot shop and a class for an hour and a half where I can work on whatever I want.

These parts were oily and the upper plenum was all carbon filled, nothing a bath can't fix

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Putting in some more bass!!! Can't wait to show it to everybody interested in it at NWFF.
Would anyone buy these boxes if i made them to sell?
Specs:
  • Mounting Depth of 8"
  • 1.36cubic feet of internal air volume
  • Good Legroom

Could mount any of the following:

• 2-3 - 8" Subs (Sealed/Ported)
  • 1 - 10" (Ported)
  • 2 - 10" Subs (Sealed)
  • 1 - 12" Sub (Sealed/Ported)
  • 1 - 15" Sub (Shown Below)

Could you ballpark a price for a single 10" ported box, gray upholstered to match interior if possible.

Very interested in the future as a replacement for my 10" sealed box that I stuff in the passenger footwell.

Thinking I should go ported to get the most out of my Alpine Type R, though I'll need to look up and refresh my memory on volume specs.

I would likely order next spring or thereabout, since that's when the Fiero will be hitting the streets again.

Thanks in advance!

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheRealShadowX (edited 10-30-2012).]

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey cool build! I got my fiero at 16, I'm 18 now I'm just finishing my 3800sc swap now... Can't wait! I highly reccomend you re-do your suspension, mine was crap... I also lowered it check out m thread it may give you some ideas, I'm not finished by any means just don't have any extra cash lol. I like the rims!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

Could you ballpark a price for a single 10" ported box, gray upholstered to match interior if possible.

Very interested in the future as a replacement for my 10" sealed box that I stuff in the passenger footwell.

Thinking I should go ported to get the most out of my Alpine Type R, though I'll need to look up and refresh my memory on volume specs.

I would likely order next spring or thereabout, since that's when the Fiero will be hitting the streets again.

Thanks in advance!

Sure! Just need to know if you're interested in having it made out of MDF or plywood.Then what thickness do you want?
PFF
System Bot
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sure! Just need to know if you're interested in having it made out of MDF or plywood.Then what thickness do you want?

MDF, most likely 1/2".

As cool as 3/4" would be, I think fitment might be a bit tight.

What thickness did you go with?
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made mine from 3/4" MDF.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I made mine from 3/4" MDF.

Eff it. Let's assume 3/4" then.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Hey cool build! I got my fiero at 16, I'm 18 now I'm just finishing my 3800sc swap now... Can't wait! I highly reccomend you re-do your suspension, mine was crap... I also lowered it check out m thread it may give you some ideas, I'm not finished by any means just don't have any extra cash lol. I like the rims!

Its funny you posted on my thread, as I've been following yours for some time! I'd love to do the 3800sc.... but I'm really liking the perks of a big 4.9 V8. The stump pulling torque.... I'd get into a lot of trouble with a car like yours...
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
. Post to soon

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 11-26-2012).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mitchjl22

1144 posts
Member since Sep 2011
New Interior Components. Very excited. The upholstery shop did a fantastic job!

Girlfriend putting up with my lack of storage.

Overall very satisfied with the outcome.

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 11-22-2014).]

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't anyone like my new interior?
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doesn't anyone like my new interior?

perhaps its my work computers fault, but I only get red x's.

I'd like to see it though.
oldbikeracer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
17, nice Fiero and pretty girlfriend, you have it made. When I was 17 I did have a pretty girl friend that dumped me for some guy in the Air Force, car was a raggedy 54 Chevrolet that ran like crap and looked worse than it ran. Tell your parents to chill out, drifting through a stop sign is not a federal crime. Tell the you have learned your lesson and will drive more carefully. I will back you up on that, that beautiful car needs to be driven to keep it in good condition. Best of luck on the car it looks like you have good taste and will not chop it up and make it into a ghetto car. Yes I like what you have done on the interior.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock