Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Resurrection of Capts' 857 Cadero (Part 85GT, Part 87GT, part Caddy, ALL FUN) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Resurrection of Capts' 857 Cadero (Part 85GT, Part 87GT, part Caddy, ALL FUN) by Capt Fiero
Started on: 03-05-2012 02:04 AM
Replies: 54 (2928 views)
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 09-25-2018 08:56 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I have threads all over the place on this forum about my Cadero, So I have decided to start a single thread and just keep adding to it.

Here is the link to the start of the build thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000015.html

Here is a link to the last thread that was in place. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/098362-3.html

And you are on the New Thread , which I don't plan to change, I will add the Build Thread from FOY Racing at a later day.

Now the best overall shot I have currently was taken as the snow was starting to fall on my project last week but here she is. It highlights the 2 scoops fairly well, and the raised spoiler, but you can't see the custom nose at all. Also of note, just ahead of the passenger tire at the bottom is the oval shape exhaust tip.

Now this project includes the Nitrous, the MSD Coil, the MSD 6a box and related stuff.
So the crucial adapter harness from MSD that lets you install a 6a box into the Caddy 7 wire ignition.

Scan from the Caddy Service Manual to keep track of plug wires.

MSD Coil, re-used from my first build of this motor.

6a Box resting in its location

Off with the old cap, rotor and wires.

Showing the funny caddy dist with 7 wire module.

In this pic you can see the 2 Nitrous Solenoids and the Nitrous Purge. The Fuel solenoid is already in the car at this point. I am only going to use one of the Nitrous solenoids for the time being. I may add a second solenoid later as a 2nd stage with a 2nd fuel solenoid.

These are the 2 Nitrous/Fuel jets, again just one will be used for now.

Pics of some of the lines. Man there are a lot more lines than I figured for. Nitrous tank to NOS Solenoid, NOS Solenoid to NOS Jet. Fuel supply to Fuel Solenoid, Fuel line to Fuel Jet. Plus the Nitrous Purge. Then add in the connections for the Fuel pressure gauge. Whew.

Ignition wires are installed, fuel solenoid and lines are routed with fuel pressure gauge on the rail.

Overhead shot.

I was not able to get all the Nitrous lines installed today, as I frankly ran out of time. I was working on this from 7am to 9am before my 2 year old daughter woke up. Then it started to rain so I called it quits for the day. I'll do more work on the car when it dries out.

I was able to test fire it with the new wires, cap/rotor and 6a box, and it purrs like a kitten. Man I can't wait to get back to driving it again.

The Exhaust Y pipe is going to get completely replaced with a new system. It was a failed experiment, that is not flowing like it should and I hate the fact that it is rusting. The white high temp paint I put on it didn't seem to stop the rust at all. Frankly I think the white paint makes it look even worse. The car needs all the wiring re-wrapped as I had to take it all apart to fix a few issues that I was having. Then I need to arrange them into a better order so they look cleaner.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 10-03-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so today being both my birthday and the warmest day we have had in months, it actually hit 68F today. My wife took care of our daughter and left me to play with my car today. Ya for me. I got more done to the car today than I have in the last 6 months.

My main goal was to get the nitrous kit installed and functioning. I got everything done except the power switches. However I was able to test the system by grabbing power from the cig lighter socket and everything works.

The engine bay is a disaster and I have to do some serious cleaning, but for now, I am still working on getting everything functional. Then I’ll go through and replace all the old clamps and hoses with new parts once I am happy with the new layout. This transplant from my 85GT into this 87GT has been a ton more work than I expected. The exhaust Y-Pipe is going to be totally replaced, so please excuse how horrible it looks right now.

Well here are the pics.

First up is the required electrical kit full of all the needs connectors and such.

Here is the bottle mounted in the trunk. Honestly I was thinking about mounting it vertically. Which would take up a lot less useable trunk room? However for the time being I mounted like the book says on a slight angle to keep the syphon tube at the bottom of the tank.

Fuel Pressure gauge on the end of the V8 fuel rail.

Solenoids mounted. I had a 3rd solenoid for the purge, but found it was leaking, so I removed it. In a Fiero you really don’t need a purge due to the short lines, so I may just skip it.

Another shot of the solenoids.

Full trunk view. Yes it’s a freaking mess. I was running out of daylight to grab a photo so I went ahead and shot it with all the junk in the trunk so speak.

Then a couple of exterior shots just to show how the car is coming along. The cord going into the front compartment is a battery maintainer. (Yes the battery is in the front compartment)

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 03-25-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so the nitrous went in and after a small fight with the starter, I got a chance to take the car for a rip. Holy crap that makes it feel like a totally different car. Instead of the 4.9 falling on its face around 5000 it pulled strong to above 6000. I was just having a ball.

Then this happened.

So I drained the oil, refilled with cheap oil, ran it for about 5 mins and then drained it again. Refilled with about 6 liters of Rotella. I figure the head gasket is now gone for sure. But wanted to really make sure before I junk the motor. That night was a Fiero club meeting. Its about 15 miles round trip, Mostly highway. I drove it gently around the block a few times and came home, checked the oil again, expecting it to have risen due to fresh water in the oil but it looked good. So this time I got my stuff ready for the meeting, told Lisa to bring the Blazer just in case. I (don't judge me for this) went to the trunk and turned the Nitrous bottle "ON" and set off on my way. I figured if the gasket is gone, a good long nitrous blast should either explode the cooling system or load into the crankcase and make a neat POOF. If the water in the oil was from another source like a seal between the block and the water pump we should be fine.

I hit the highway, eased my foot to the floor in 3rd gear and waited for the Wide Open Throttle switch to trigger...... Away We Go, 3rd gear 6000, grabbed 4th again WOT, 6000, when I went for 5th, I lifted as I was going plenty fast enough. No Boom, No Steam, just purred along nicely. I got it to the meeting checked the oil and oddly enough the level had dropped? Not sure why, as I did not get any smoke or anything, possible that it was just up in the crankcase and not drained back down by the time I had checked it.

On the way home, my wife and I caught a lite side by side. Now ya have to know my wife. She loves to drag race, her shinning moment was at a local track in her 85SE V6 Auto, this Asian guy in a Honda was spouting off about his JDM spec Civic, they lined up, she power braked it, light went green lifted from the brakes and he started to spin, then saw her pulling away and bone head him, stood on the gas more. She took him by 3 car lengths at the end. So I knew what she was planning when she caught me at the light. Our Blazer is an AWD model being full time 4wd I knew that the first 10 feet would be hers. I could hear the Blazers brakes straining as she was getting down on the throttle. Light went green and stood on it. I eased the clutch out in 1st and forgot I had left the nitrous on, so when my foot hit the floor the tires lit up and I was sideways, I lifted and grabbed 2nd by this time she was halfway through the intersection but at the top of 2nd I had traction and when I went for 3rd I went by her like she was standing still. As we merged onto the highway I got on the throttle hard again. Still expecting something to blow up. However nothing.

It was well after dark when I got home, so I parked it and went inside. I came out the next day checked the oil and still clean as a whistle. With several nitrous assisted runs, this should have been a clean cut and dried result, but I am still sitting on the fence? Is it toast or........

I still have not taken it back to retry emissions testing, so I am not driving it daily, just putting a day permit on it every now and then. Its roughly $100 for a 3 day permit here, so I don't drive it that often. I honestly don't know what I should do. In the mean time, I know I'll need a new motor sooner or later so I am on the hunt for another 4.9 locally, if I find one, I may just install it for good measure and take this one apart to see whats up.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 12-14-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps some scoundrel might have added water to your oil. If it was a head gasket, water would turn the oil to milk again in short order. I would lay off the nitrous until you have a chance to analyze the problem further. Any chance rain water may have gotten in?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Captain...

What vehicle are the dog bone brackets off that you have bolted to the firewall and the trunk?
No the dog bone itself but the chassis brackets for them.

Thanks,
Carson.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Perhaps some scoundrel might have added water to your oil. If it was a head gasket, water would turn the oil to milk again in short order. I would lay off the nitrous until you have a chance to analyze the problem further. Any chance rain water may have gotten in?

Thanks for the laugh Dennis. However I don't think I have any enemy's that Nasty around here. Rain Water, well that had not crossed my mind, and I don't "think" that would be possible, BUT my Valve cover breather has been out of the car, and it is near the passenger side strut tower below the vent....... I don't believe it would be possible to get 2 gallons of water into the crankcase that way, but.........

My suspicion is the water pump to timing cover gasket leaking water into the crankcase. I was going to tear it down last weekend, and just as I was getting the compressor up to pressure so I could pull the crank pulley, the compressor blew its check valve for the regulator. So I had to stop and fix the compressor before working on the car. I got the compressor fixed yesterday, and now our primary Family car, (96 Chevy Blazer) has decided it wants me to work on it, before I get to work on my Fiero. Serious random misfire making it almost undrivable. Already done plugs, wires, rotor, cap, coil, module, cam pickup sensor and still missing. Have a new MAF sensor coming in today.

Originally posted by The Aura:

Captain...

What vehicle are the dog bone brackets off that you have bolted to the firewall and the trunk?
No the dog bone itself but the chassis brackets for them.

Thanks,
Carson.

Sorry to say this, but they are 100% custom brackets. A machinist/ fabricator friend of mine saw a video I posted of how far the motor was moving around and freaked. I took it to his place, he grabbed a stack of cardboard bits and shears, started cutting up bits to make a mock up then once he had something that would work, went to his bench cut of a piece of plate, welded me a mount made the dogbone then made the second mount and we installed it. I believe we used an old Fiero one as a guide.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after the milkshake oil, I fought with the car for about 2 months of tinkering on and off trying everything else aside from a head gasket repair. I finally gave in and admitted that the Nitrous must have popped a head gasket. So off the car went to FOY Racing in Washington for a new motor. Build Thread Started by FOY is here. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125304.html

The Scheduled list of mods at FOY

Prototype Intake
Northstar Throttle Body
Delta Custom Cam with more lift and duration than stock.
New 3" Exhaust and New Y-Pipe as frankly Mine Sucked
New Wiring Harness and Clean Up engine Bay.
Complete New Front Suspension with all Poly bushings and Moog Ball Joints.

Plus a little of This and a Little of That, I basically gave the shop the Ok to tweak whatever they felt should be tweaked to make the car the best it could be. (within reason of course)

They are building the motor and installing it for me, as I had a daughter born just 10 days ago, and a 3 year old daughter as well, which leaves me little time to play with cars.

------------------

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2012 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off congrats on the birth of your daughter. Regarding your engine internal coolant leak. The 4.1, 4.5 and 4.9 Cadillac engines were notorious for this condition. Aluminum block with iron heads and an aluminum intake created different expansion levels between these components. As a result, the intake manifold would allow coolant to leak internally at the cylinder heads. Cadillac cured this condition early on by putting stop leak pellets in the engines as part of the assembly process. The service procedure for draining or flushing the engine also called for the pellets to be added. If you are having your engine rebuilt then I'd recommend putting the stop leak in before the engine is started for the break in. You may be using a different intake, but the issues that caused the leak (expansion) still exist. Hope your engine turns out great.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2013 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok just quick update, FOY is on my unhappy Vendors list right now and as far as I know is closed down and bankrupt.

I got my car back with a bottom end knock, less than 5lbs of oil pressure at hot idle of 600rpms, a top end rattle that I believe to be from a broken rocker support beam, and engine bay damage that was the result of an engine bay fire while he was testing the car. I paid him for the custom parts and suspension work but took a refund for the bad engine. He installed a total of 3 engines in the car and when the 3rd one proved to have gone bad in less than a week, I agreed to take my car back and go elsewhere with it.

I took part of the refund and picked up some really nice Caddy Steel Rocker Supports from California. I had to buy used as there are no NEW ones left and GM has none left in stock anywhere. The price was fair at $170 landed to my door here in Oregon. I should be back in BC in Mid March and will start working on the 4.9 myself to get it in tip top shape. I also picked up a trailer hitch for the car so I can tow my trailer with the big bad V8.

Well the only pics I have are of the rocker supports I bought so here they are.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Niiiiize!
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As an FYI Accel 5051's Plug Wires are an almost prefect fit for the 4.9. I used them on my last 4.9 and will be using them again for my current one. Looking forward to watch you put this thread together with all the parts

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of valve springs are you going to use?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought someone made some aftermarket steel rocker bridges? No?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

What kind of valve springs are you going to use?

The Delta cam we chose was specifically chosen as it runs the stock springs and rockers.

I do have a concern though, does anyone know if these Allante Bridges have the same ratio rockers as the stock 4.9?

Originally posted by Kento:

As an FYI Accel 5051's Plug Wires are an almost prefect fit for the 4.9. I used them on my last 4.9 and will be using them again for my current one. Looking forward to watch you put this thread together with all the parts

I run the MSD 8.5 MM Cut to Fit wires that you build yourself after you buy them. So mine are custom to my motor. However If the Accel 501's are as good and I don't have to cut the, I may look into them, especially if they come in red.

Originally posted by Will:

I thought someone made some aftermarket steel rocker bridges? No?

There was rumor that someone was making them, however I have never seen a set in real life. So as far as I know it could be complete vapor ware.

------------------

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

There was rumor that someone was making them, however I have never seen a set in real life. So as far as I know it could be complete vapor ware.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/120549.html#p11
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do have a concern though, does anyone know if these Allante Bridges have the same ratio rockers as the stock 4.9?

Rocker ratio is the same.
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I run the MSD 8.5 MM Cut to Fit wires that you build yourself after you buy them. So mine are custom to my motor. However If the Accel 501's are as good and I don't have to cut the, I may look into them, especially if they come in red.

IF you can find them the 5051R are the red ones, K is Black Y are yellow and B are blue

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 02-21-2013).]

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Capt.
Good to see you back at it. I will be watching this thread for ideas and suggestions for the 4.9L. When I get ready for nitrous I am going to reach out to you.
DARKWING
Mike Parker
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/120549.html#p11

Yep, that's what I was thinking of.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really looking forward to seeing this car finished!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project/Super Duty swap

arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friendly Bump =)
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

Friendly Bump =)

Funny you bumped it today, I just made it back to Canada about 2hrs ago. I won't have much time if any to work on the car as I am here for an MRI on my back. Then once I know the details of that I have to spin around and head back to Oregon. I am really eager to get to work on the car I just can't spend much time here.

------------------

carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hows your back?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally we thought it was just C5 and C6 that had an issue, based on the X-Ray's. However the MRI says its my C5, C6 and C7 that have the problems. My doctor says if I continue lifting heavy items and such. (IE Engine Swaps and Trans Swaps) it is going to get really bad really quickly, but if I take it easy, it should not be a problem. I don't see any reason why I can't do the rocker supports on the car. I am still in Oregon and probably will be here for another month or so. I hate leaving my V8 sitting in Canada all alone, but I plan to get back to it soon. I am starting to think I should of just trailered it down here to the estate and I could have been tinkering with it between estate business. There has been a lot of Hurry up to Sell then wait for buyers, then Hurry up some more and wait some more.

I just got an interesting offer via PM from BubbaJoe about an Accell Module for the Dist. Shaft. Anyone else used the Accell module and any comments on it.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 Updates, 1st my Back is FUBAR. I have an appointment to see a Nero Surgen, in gasp, wait for it, May 29th 2014. Yes Canadian Medical is almost Free, but its slower than hell.

I am back in Canada for a short time, long enough that I want to get these Allante Bridges installed.

I have pulled off the old ones and found several of the rockers were not torqued down all the way. I guess that explains some of the top end rattle. I was 1/2 temped to tighten them down, put the valve covers back and test it, but figured I have it 1/2 apart might as well get the damn new bridges installed.

I need to know what to torque these down to and if there is any sequence I need to use to torque them down.

I can only work on the car for about 20-30 mins at a time before I have to stop and take a break, but hopefully someone subscribed to this topic will know the answer.

On an Unrelated note, I am going to put my Yellow 88GT up for sale. Its a runner and driver, but engine is starting to get tired. Just installed new Cross Drilled, Slotted Rotors on the front. I would trust it to drive just about anywhere. If it was perfect price would be 6000 cdn, but its not, needs paint and interior to be perfect show car. So I am asking $4000cdn which is about $3935 USD.

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rocker arm pivot nuts to 22ft/lb
Rocker bridge nuts, tighten alternately and evenly until snug and torque to 37 ft/lbs.
Rocker bridge bolts, tighten to 7 ft/lbs.

That's what the Haynes manual says.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Printing and finding torque wrench.

Thank You.

------------------

benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On an Unrelated note, I am going to put my Yellow 88GT up for sale. Its a runner and driver, but engine is starting to get tired. Just installed new Cross Drilled, Slotted Rotors on the front. I would trust it to drive just about anywhere. If it was perfect price would be 6000 cdn, but its not, needs paint and interior to be perfect show car. So I am asking $4000cdn which is about $3935 USD.

Is it up in the mall or anywhere on the net yet?

Was it originally a yellow 88 or was it repainted?

I know some folks at my local club that are interested in original Yellow 88GTs (and would be willing to buy from pictures from a trusted Fiero enthusiast). I posted your comment on our forum.

------------------
Ben
87 GT / 88 GT
84 Indy #1863

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by benoitmalenfant:

Is it up in the mall or anywhere on the net yet?

Was it originally a yellow 88 or was it repainted?

I know some folks at my local club that are interested in original Yellow 88GTs (and would be willing to buy from pictures from a trusted Fiero enthusiast). I posted your comment on our forum.

I have not posted it anywhere online for sale yet. However pics from when I got the car are here, http://captfiero.com/captsnewride yes it is a Factory yellow 88GT V6 5spd Hardtop.

------------------

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must compliment you Cap't on a nice build.

My Cadero is so much more simple, but allot less hp.

Notice the engine has 2 wires to the dizzy, 2 wires to the starter, and the wires for the fan switch, temp gauge and oil pressure gauge.

In Ontario we can't run nitrous on the street so mine won't get it. But, it is still allot of fun with the carb and revs up to 6000 rpm readily.

I am a little envious of your nose treatment though.

Arn

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL @ Arn, don't be so envious, you are driving yours!!!!

As to my Nitrous, its a gray area. We are allowed to have it installed however we are NOT allowed to have the bottle turned on while driving it on the street. Which means basically only turn it on for Uhh Testing ya, and leave it off most of the time. I usually only turn the bottle on for Cruise Nights and such. Its expensive to fill a bottle here. About $100 CDN in BC and that bottle lasts for 2 days of Cruising on the street or 1 track night.

However, my car is still sitting on the side lines not running. I am doing more work to it today........ Eerr was doing more work to it today, when my wife comes gets me and says there is a weird smell coming from the storage area under the house. Turns out there is a hairline split in a hot water line, been leaking for a long time, found rotten boards and mold all through the crawl space under the house.

UGH....... All I want to do is work on my Fiero, sell my 88 and then pack up and leave back to Oregon. Even if I have to tow my V8 to Oregon and finish it down there. I would really rather drive it, as damn its fun. However it seems like everything in the world is trying to stop me.

Well again, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am waiting for the plumber to get here and then find out what kind of water damage there is. Hopefully the mold is not severe enough to warrant leaving the house. We have a 10 month old baby and a 3 year old daughter, so I don't want to take an chances.

I am going to go and tinker with the car while I wait.

Take Care All.

David aka The Capt.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave I think you are well over due for some good luck...Wow your little girl is three already. Time flies by quick.. My oldest boy will be 4 in February and our youngest boy just turn 2 in August. And they love to "help" dad in the garage. By that I mean hide nuts, bolts my tools and anything else there little paws can snag !! But its cool with dad, just love spending guy time with them. Sorry to see so much is happening and remembers its always darkest before the dawn. Keep the passion going, pace yourself and play safe!! Gotta run the oldest is playing with lady bugs in the living room... Cheers buddy!!
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya some good luck would definitely be good. In between disasters, over the last couple days, I got the valve covers off, got both old rocker supports off, got the new truck side ones installed and torqued. Man there are a lot of bolts. Also blows me away that the head bolts are 10mm heads, WOW. Found several that were not nearly as tight as I would have expected.

The rocker support beams look so close in colour shape size. Everything aside from weight is exactly the same. I actually grabbed a magnet and double checked yep, old ones won't stick and new ones magnet sticks solid.

The kinda depressing news is that I found out that they were not broken. I was hoping that the top end racket was a busted rocker support. Well I guess I didn't get any good luck yet... Here is hoping that I get some good luck with the main engine stuff.

I am going to try and get the 2nd beam and rockers installed and torqued up tomorrow. Then test fire the motor again and see just what's going on. I have not found any metal in the oil, so I can't for the life of me figure out why it has nearly Zero oil pressure. It was dropping to below 10psi at idle and even to what looked like 1-2psi on the gauge when I took it from FOY and tried to limp it home.

I know I made a mistake letting anyone else work on my car, I have never had good luck with Mechanics. Unless that Mechanic is a personal Friend and we work on the car together. IE Dr.Fiero aka Watts on here, and Damian, aka Dawg on here, John Carlo aka uhm, what does he go by, Car-Lo I think, and Clynt. They are all Local Fiero Nuts that have over the years spent time here at my place tinkering on each others cars.

I think from now on, all my stuff will be done by me, or by close personal friends. No more farming out jobs. Even if I think I am getting an amazing deal, I know its going to cost more in the end.

Has anyone ever done the recall for the "blue" bearing from GM. Where they had faulty main bearings in some 4.9's and were replacing the lower half of the bearing shell by dropping the pan and just doing the lower half. I have heard of it, but never seen it done or seen a write up on it. I might look into it and when I get the pan off see what's going on in there.

On that note, I know the old timers use Plastigauge, is there a newer more modern way to check bearing clearance, or is that still the industry standard. I am going to head back to Oregon on the 9th so I don't have much more time to fiddle with this.

Totally off topic, and not Fiero related. The plumber made it here on a holiday, replaced the broken section of pipe. He said the mold does not appear to be the nasty stuff and should go away now that the pipe is fixed. It was bad because it was a Hot Water pipe that had been leaking, causing the hot humid space for it grow quickly. We have hot water again Yaa. I am just glad it got fixed quickly.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I tore the top end apart, and replaced the rocker supports, after cussing at the rear valve cover because the gasket would not stay in place while I snaked and fought it onto the motor, even after putting dots of RTV around it, I got mad, and ran a really thin bead of RTV around the entire valve cover smooshed the gasket into it, and tried again........ wait for it...... The gasket fell out....... I repositioned the gasket again, this time the RTV had started to really tack up, and held the gasket in place so I got valve cover on. Manged to lose one of the bolts, and out of frustration said F-It, tightened down the remaining bolts and fired the motor up. Rackety Clackety, the valve train went. I am really starting to think that the pushrod length may be the problem.

If he did install the cam like he said he would..... its possible he did not change the pushrods. Can anyone comment on what pushrods are supposed to be installed with a Delta Cam. What Lenghth are they supposed to be. I always thought that with the stage 1 or 2 Delta cam you could run stock pushrods. If that is not the case then at least that is 1/2 my battle. I am running out of time again and have to leave back for Oregon in a few days. So I won't be able to talk to probably now until spring of 2014, but ya never know this is the West Coast and we are in the middle of an Indian Summer. (Woo Woo Indians, not Welcome to 7 Eleven Indians)

David

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 4.9 had a stage 1 delta cam and I used stock pushrods. Valve train was quiet. Maybe you have some bad lifters after all the crap that happened earlier with the engine?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok just quick update, FOY is on my unhappy Vendors list right now and as far as I know is closed down and bankrupt.

I got my car back with a bottom end knock, less than 5lbs of oil pressure at hot idle of 600rpms...

...tightened down the remaining bolts and fired the motor up. Rackety Clackety, the valve train went.

Hate to say it, but perhaps the "Rackety Clackety" is due to (or the result of) next to no oil pressure?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@ FieroMan, it must be bad lifters that I should look at then.

@Patrick, cold fire up, I have about 35psi of oil pressure. I would hope that with 35psi it would be enough to pump up the lifters.

Unless I am miss diagnosing lifter noise with possibly piston slap.

------------------

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it smoke or run rough? Could have a broken or bent valve.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No smoke and it runs really well. Granted with the large loud exhaust its hard to tell if there is a miss of any kind.
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol @ woo woo Indians not welcome to seven/eleven Indians...made my friggin day.. almost blew ice cream out my nose!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock