Roll on paint job by steinke_andy
Started on: 02-25-2012 03:32 PM
Replies: 86 (7942 views)
Last post by: VikingRedBaron on 11-03-2014 08:21 PM
steinke_andy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steinke_andySend a Private Message to steinke_andyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People can argue this all day, I actually like how it turned out. Without wetsanding and buffing it, it has a matte finish that goes well with the matte black we used on the headlight covers. In the end I am glad I did this paint job the way I did, I enjoyed it (kinda) and it helped waste time while waiting on other aspects of the car.

If I decide to paint the car I will be getting a different hood and I don't think I will be doing the orange after all. We did the Grand Am brake upgrade and painted the calipers a 'kawasaki green' type of green. I have always like that color and might look into painting the car that color instead =D

AS
IP: Logged
firejo24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2012 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you should be proud of what you did. Many times it’s the doing not the done. Nice job!
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a roll on paint job on my trunk with oil based stuff because I got rid of the luggage rack. I cant tell the difference between the old paint and the new. You can custom mix the stuff for an exact match. Need to buff it up and it's sweet. Seems tough as nails.

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The roll on paint job for an entire car seems like an awful lot of work. I have purchased the airless spray kit from harbor freight and I am going to try spraying on the duplicolor one part paint. The cost not counting the sprayer kit will be the same or less and a lot less painting and sanding and painting and sanding. I guess the roller is okay for one panel but too much work for an entire car
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

The roll on paint job for an entire car seems like an awful lot of work. I have purchased the airless spray kit from harbor freight and I am going to try spraying on the duplicolor one part paint. The cost not counting the sprayer kit will be the same or less and a lot less painting and sanding and painting and sanding. I guess the roller is okay for one panel but too much work for an entire car

Sounds great, the paint seems like good stuff. I heard about someone using a blow drier set to cool after rolling to pop any bubbles. Yeah that sanding and 6 coats etc is a chore. Still, it looks better than a lot of factory paint jobs on the newer cars these days. Lot's of new cars have noticeable "orange peel" and even this roller method can do better.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's true about orange peel, our 2007 Mustang has orange peel in some spots. I noticed that close up pictures on original paint often shows up orange peel
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, "steinke_andy" are you still with us?

How did this turn out?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock