Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  E-brake cables for Bubbajoe Corvette 12" rotor conversion / Corvair front hubs

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
E-brake cables for Bubbajoe Corvette 12" rotor conversion / Corvair front hubs by AL68
Started on: 02-18-2012 11:50 AM
Replies: 15 (2205 views)
Last post by: Australian on 03-08-2022 03:34 AM
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2012 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did the 12" Vette brake conversion on my 86 GT with the Bubbajoe rear brackets, rear Cierra
knuckle/bigger bearing and Chevy front hubs with redrilled bolt patterns. I wanted to have a working
emergency brake with the 88 Corvette rear calipers, I found several posts looking for ways to hook
them up but could not find any info to make them work like the originals.

I found a couple cables in a brake catalog that work, the part numbers are Raybestos BC93218 and
BC93220, 84-87 Vette rear cables. All I had to do was file the eye on the end a little wider to slip over
the caliper arm and remove a crimped on stop for the spring & they worked great. The cables were only
about $18 each at Rock Auto.

here's the modifications I did to both cables:

left side caliper/cable connection (right is the same):

Cable bend is not too tight - releases fine:

I made a strap from galvanized sheetmetal to hang cable off lower control arm,
you can wrap it with electrical tape before bending to insulate the metal from the
cable housing (I dipped mine in Plastikote after bending):

cable housing has plenty of clearance with an 18x8.5-40mm wheel/ 265 tire:

the other ends hooks up like the factory cables:

looks much better than the stock brakes

Also, the front Corvair hubs are the same as most drum brake 5-bolt 4 3/4 small to mid-size
GM's with bolt on steering arms from 65-74 (65-74 Nova, 67-69 Camaro, 65-72
Chevelle/Cutlass/A-bodies, etc) - much easier to find. I used some extra 66 Nova ones I had.

The only problem I have is the Chevy front bearing dust caps stick out too far for my wheel's
center caps - looks like I have to make shorter caps.

AL
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL68:

Also, the front Corvair hubs are the same as most drum brake 5-bolt 4 3/4 small to mid-size
GM's with bolt on steering arms from 65-74 (65-74 Nova, 67-69 Camaro, 65-72
Chevelle/Cutlass/A-bodies, etc) - much easier to find. I used some extra 66 Nova ones I had.

The only problem I have is the Chevy front bearing dust caps stick out too far for my wheel's
center caps - looks like I have to make shorter caps.

AL

So, I can stop looking for Corvair hubs and use the ones from a Nova?
Same steps for the modification?
AL68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I had a Chevy parts guy check his old catalogs, he said the part number was the same as drum brake Novas 65 to 74, Chevelles to 64-72, Camaros 67-72, etc. Most all of the GM intermediates with the steering arms that unbolt from the spindle will work, the one piece cast ones will not (A-bodies 73-up, Camaros 70-up, etc.). They do move the wheel out a lot, my fronts are 18x7.5 +45 .
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for posting these part numbers. This makes hooking up the ebrake so easy and i needed new cables anyway. A + to you.
Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for this write up!

Damn! I just purchased new left and right cables (Fiero) to begin my setup. I literally just purchased them on Friday (no returns).

I seem to be missing one of those return springs in the picture. The calipers I bought did not include those springs and the old cores I found only one spring.

Anyone got one or two kicking around?

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Fiero (edited 06-28-2015).]

Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to cancel my order and my vette cables are (hopefully) on the way! I am excited!

I will post pictures once I have completed the setup.

Matthew
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Matthew_Fiero

2788 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by AL68:

AL

Why did you cut the weight off?
AL68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the spring stop for the original brake shoe setup, the spring won't extend to the end of the cable/last weight with it there.

Are the pics above showing up for you, I just get x's but I uploaded them on PIP?
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2015 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep I see your pictures!

I just got my cables in today after 3 weeks of waiting!

My weights are balls instead of cylinders like yours.

Welp! I guess it's time to cut my balls off! Wish me luck!

Matthew
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Matthew_Fiero

2788 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Gentlemen... Balls have been cut!

I am on 4 days without sleep. I will do my best to install the cables tomorrow. Keep note if you are cutting the weights off to spray with water or coolant as to not melt the plastic shielding.

Goodnight.

Matthew
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DONE!

Works great!!

Thanks SO MUCH Al!

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Fiero (edited 08-05-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
AL68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks good, glad it worked for you - I have not had any problems with mine, still working great

[This message has been edited by AL68 (edited 08-06-2015).]

pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good stuff
str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2022 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello All,

I know this thread has not had much discussion lately. But I need some help.

I recently installed C4 Brakes and Rotors and ordered the recommended parts listed on this thread...... Raybestos BC93218 and BC93220, 84-87 Vette rear cables. I opened the eye with a File and cut away the crimped weights, As instructed.

After got everything installed, I can't engage the E-brakes. I have maxed out the adjustment screw and the Springs seem to be compressed to the max. However, I still can't get the E brake to lock up.

Do I need to cut away some of the spring coils?

I still need to add hangers to attach the cable to the control arm. Could this be why it's not working?

I also noticed an issue with the Exhaust, it will be in the way of the cable .... (I have an LT1 installed) Any idea's to a solution?
Thank you ALL

Compressed spring.

Exhaust in the way...

Cable still needs to be hung to the control arm.

[This message has been edited by str8maxn (edited 03-06-2022).]

str8maxn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2022 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update... I was able to get the E-Brake to work. I had over tighten the adjustment nut and didn't have enough slack in the cable that operates the E-brake handle.

But My E-Brake handle is not working correctly.

Anyone have a spear E-Brake assembly for sale?
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2022 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice modification possibly the best as no point going fast till you can stop.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock