Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  A Short Guide to Modifying and Reclocking the 3800 Belt Tensioner for Low-Mount Alts

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Short Guide to Modifying and Reclocking the 3800 Belt Tensioner for Low-Mount Alts by GraterFang
Started on: 12-24-2011 05:50 AM
Replies: 12 (1755 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 05-13-2016 08:33 PM
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Short Guide to Modifying and Reclocking the 3800 Accessory Belt Tensioner for Low-Mount Alternators

While this isn't the most difficult of tasks, I was unable to find practically any information on how this was done on PFF. This has been done by quite a few members that are willing to share but I noticed that no pictures or detailed descriptions were readily available. Thus, I decided to snap a few pictures and share what I did to possibly help those going through this in the future. My methods here may not be the absolute best, but for those treading into unknown territory, this write-up should at least provide a good idea of what you are getting into.

There are two style tensioners and Darth Fiero claims that the later style is easier to work with. EDIT: It appears that this is actually the later style tensioner (at least later than 98). This write up was performed on a 97 Bonneville tensioner (or at least so I was informed).

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:
There are two different designs of assy belt tensioners used on the 3800s. Early (~1998-earlier) and late (~1999-up). The late style is much easier to modify and work with than the earlier style...

Let's Get Started

The first step (for me) was removing the entire alternator/tensioner bracket assembly that holds the tensioner. I imagine that this job would be possible while the tensioner assembly is still bolted to the engine but taking it off obviously makes things much easier.

Next, the dust cap/cover needs to be removed. It comes off pretty easily. I found that drilling to two small holes on opposite sides of the cover lets it easily be pried up and out without warping it at all. The small holes can easily be filled later with JB weld, RTV, or your preferred weapon of choice.

I didn't get a good picture of it (and perhaps I'll later edit this post with one), but after the dust cap is removed you'll find that the rotating assembly is held to the stationary part of the tensioner by a retaining washer on the central shaft. This washer needs to be cut and removed for the unit to come apart. Under the retaining washer (shown in the next picture) is a bushing that you want to be careful not to damage which probably makes this the trickiest part of the entire job. I used a Dremel with a small cutting blade to make deep notches in the washer without actually cutting all the way through it and into the bushing, I then broke the washer apart and pulled it out. Its okay if you notch the housing for the dust cap a little as all you'll really be affecting is aesthetic value.

Now, to actually remove the rotating assembly once the retaining washer has been removed. Note that the whole arm is still spring loaded rotationally. Once the outer assembly has been removed enough for it to spin past the stop on the stationary part of the tensioner, it will do so violently. I would recommend removing the rotating assembly with a tool and not holding onto with your fingers. Also note that the large spring in the tensioner assembly also applies a small amount of upward force on the rotating arm and the retaining washer. While I haven't yet had that force be enough to pop off the tensioner assembly when the retaining washer was removed, you should nonetheless err on the side of caution. Wear safety glasses and be careful with your fingers are when you are removing the retaining washer and the tensioner arm. The next picture shows what the rotating arm looks like under the washer (and without the central shaft).

The next picture shows what you'll find beneath the rotating assembly on the stationary part of the tensioner

You can see the notch that holds the lower end of the spring. It's this notch that we'll be "relocating" to reclock the tensioner. The underside of the rotating assembly also has a means by which to hold the upper end of the spring in place but it doesn't need to be modified in any way.

Let The Changes Begin!

A new hole was drilled approximately 60° to the right (thanks Dennis LaGrua) to retain the lower end of the spring. Note that this new hole is not going to be protected from the elements as well as the original. While I haven't shown it in a picture, I would recommend building a small cover for it when everything else is said and done.

Now, to reassemble the tensioner we need a way to hold it all together again. I used a M8-1.25 tap to add threads to the center shaft. The dimple in the center of the shaft makes it easy to center a new hole for this purpose. Once that's done, a M8-1.25 bolt can hold the entire unit together!

However, first we need something to replace the retaining washer that acts not only as a bushing surface, but also serves to fully seat the rotating assembly down far enough.

I saw two practical solutions to this problem. The first would be to add a spacer that sits where the retaining washer did that is large enough for the bolt to clamp down on to (a couple large washers would work as well).

The second (and probably better) solution would be to grind/lathe the upper part of the shaft such that a single washer could be used. The advantage of this is that the bolt holding everything together will also sit down lower. This is what I chose to do. A large flat washer is best (though the one pictured here is slightly larger than what can be used without alteration).

Before reassembly, I also smoothed out some of the ribbing where the stop for the rotating arm will now be moving (part of the red box). Depending on where exactly you drilled your new spring retaining hole, you can also remove the larger tab to the right of that (green box) and grind that down but I preferred to leave mine there to act as a stop for the rotating assembly. Fighting the spring over during installation is only a little more difficult. I would actually consider even adding to the return stop if you have a welder (or through similar means) so that installation and use on the engine is easier. (EDIT: Also, Dennis Lagrua added that such an addition would be helpful if the belt were to break during operation so the tensioner wouldn't swing into the supercharger pulley).

The final step is bolting it all together and putting the dust cap back on if you wish (recommended). I ground down the head of my bolt a little bit so that mine would fit down nicely and I could reuse the original cap. The smooth pulley will also have to be changed over for a ribbed one if that hasn't been done already as well. I'll add a picture later with the assembly installed.

For those of you that are knowledgeable on this, feel free to leave suggestions or corrections and I'll append the post. For everybody else, hopefully this helped somebody! Also, here's also a link that has some good information on building a low-mount alt bracket. I used a 99 Astro alternator like Dennis Lagrua suggested. It makes for a rather easy build.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119994.html

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 07-11-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent write up. The only difference between your method and mine is that I flattened and reused the original holding washer (with the prongs) and since it was weakened during removal it was decided to hold it in place on the shaft with the threaded shaft, bolt and another washer using blue Loktite on the threads. Many 3800SC swap projects have asked how this was done but until now no one has done a thread on the process. This should eliminate the confusion. BTW, did you mention that a new grooved pulley must now be used? .
The only thing negative about tensioner arm repositioning is that if your alternator belt breaks the pulley comes crashing into the supercharger pulley. If I had to do it all over again I would also relocate the tension arm stop by brazing or welding a new piece on the housing to prevent this unlikely occurance.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also just use a larger pulley on the factory tensoner and you do not have to do anything to it. Its does not look good, but it works. I use one from a an A/C delete bracket.Thanks
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Excellent write up. The only difference between your method and mine is that I flattened and reused the original holding washer (with the prongs) and since it was weakened during removal it was decided to hold it in place on the shaft with the threaded shaft, bolt and another washer using blue Loktite on the threads. Many 3800SC swap projects have asked how this was done but until now no one has done a thread on the process. This should eliminate the confusion. BTW, did you mention that a new grooved pulley must now be used? .
The only thing negative about tensioner arm repositioning is that if your alternator belt breaks the pulley comes crashing into the supercharger pulley. If I had to do it all over again I would also relocate the tension arm stop by brazing or welding a new piece on the housing to prevent this unlikely occurance.

Thanks Dennis. Hopefully it will help somebody

Good catch on the ribbed pulley. I forgot to mention that but I"ll add that in there. And yes, it would be nice to add a new stop for not only ease of installation but also if the belt broke.
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just figured I would bump this to report that the two tensioners that I did this modification to still work beautifully.

I still haven't gotten my hands on a newer style tensioner to modify. When I do though, I'll do the same thing with it and update this thread again.
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By the looks of your photos that is the 99 and newer style where the alt bolts down with two bolts from above and one from the front unlike the older style where the alt bolts in from the front only, are you sure it is the older style as I have done this mod on many 99 up alt brackets. Dan
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, I'm not sure honestly. I'm just going off what the local parts yards told me. One was supposedly from a 97 Bonneville and one was supposedly from a 98 (car unknown).

It's possible its the newer style but not having had both, particularly from a trustworthy source, I can't promise that its from any particular year. If you have a picture of the earlier style feel free to post it up so we can compare.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since this is a common procedure for a 3800 swap, I request that this exellent thread be moved to the FAQ section.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I found some alternator bracket diagrams for both a 98 and 2000 Grand Prix to compare the tensioner setups. I'm going to have to agree with Fieroflyer that these setups are the later style (at least later than 98). I'll go ahead and edit the post to reflect that. Sorry for any confusion and thank you.

Oh, and thanks Dennis

JumpStart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At a glance, It seems I have the older style. If so, It just looks like there is less metal in the area that you need to drill the hole to reclock it.

Steve
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No thank you for the great write up on this. Dan
PFF
System Bot
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a solution to the missing tensioner stop that doesn't require welding aluminum or further modification of the tensioner bracket. I've simply added a removable plate to my custom dogbone bracket that acts as a stop to the tensioner, both for safety reasons and to make changing the belts much easier. It's not show quality, but I don't think it looks horrible and it does the job well.

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started working on reclocking my tensioner today, so I thought I would contribute a couple pictures from the beginning of the process that you didn't have. Feel free you steal them and ad them to your initial write-up if you like.

Here you can see the hole I drilled in the dust cap so that I could pry it off:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This is what the retaining washer looks like once the dust cap is removed.:

This is how I removed the retaining washer, I used a worn down dremel cutting disc so it was nice and small and cut almost all the way through it, then I used a chisel and a hammer to finish the break:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Awesome write-up. Very helpful. I have not finished the project yet to tell you how it turned out, but so far so good. It is definitely less intimidating to do something like this when there is a detailed write-up with pictures.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock