Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project by Rodney
Started on: 12-02-2011 09:26 AM
Replies: 246 (12266 views)
Last post by: 0z on 01-28-2019 09:56 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am working on possibly making some 88 front wheel bearing hubs that will have tapered roller bearings in them instead of the typical ball bearings. This will take some time. Hopefully I will get this done. We'll see.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news. I will be interested in following the progress of this project. Please keep us posted.
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quite a thoughtful concept. This would be a great contribution to our community.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
count me in on another rodney dickman product. !!!!
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also offer custom bolt patterns!!!
Ideally, I would also like to see you make wheel bearing for pre88's as well with custom bolt patterns as I seem to have a problem getting quality ones... :/
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would buy with a alternate bolt pattern, preferrably 5x114.3
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome news! Hopefully it works out.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me on your list of buyers.
Thank you.
stickboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickboySend a Private Message to stickboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope this turns out as well as your other products!!!!

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am interested.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of a modern front hub for the 88's and the suggestion of offering different stud circle diameters is great.

Would it be possible to incorporate two different patterns on the same hub flange?

Of course, then you would have to offer a new rear hub design with two bolt patterns on the flange as well.

Keep up the good work, Rodney!
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plus 1 for Rodney on this project. I like it a lot.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They will be OEM replacements. I doubt I will try to make different variations.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!
I'm not in the market just now, but that can change quickly.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news, I'm in whenever you have the product ready.

Nolan
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Rodney!

I will be awaiting your announcement here in the forum that you have these bearings available. I will purchase them!
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is good news for those of us with 1988's. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Rodney's products are always far superior to just about everything thats on the market today.
They may not be cheap, but you get what you pay for, and then some.

Rodney, Please keep up the good work, and please keep us updated.

~ Bob ~

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I definitely want a reservation for two, please.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I can afford them when they come out, I'm definitely in for a set.
I got one of your aluminum Getrag slave cylinders when they came out even though I didn't need one at the time. When I finally did need a replacement, all I had to do is grab one off my shelf.

If it weren't for the quality products you sell, my Fiero wouldn't be on the road today. Thank you!
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2011 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\L67\L26\4T65E-HD
NIC Cam\Comp Cam Hi-Tech 1.8 rockers\Rhoads XL Lifters
eBay Headers\Magnaflow Camaro muffler, 3.4 pulley
DH Tune

Wanna go faster?

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these going to be made to allow for rebuilding? Will the inner/outer races be removable or will they be integral with the housing/flange stub shaft?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Are these going to be made to allow for rebuilding? Will the inner/outer races be removable or will they be integral with the housing/flange stub shaft?

They will not be rebuild-able. Once assembled you have to destroy them to disassemble them. This also eliminates any type of threaded nut failure etc. There is not enough room in there to have a removable nut. The bearing surface is also part of the unit and not replaceable.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been waiting for an announcement like this for a long time. I'll definitely get me a set of these if/when they come to market.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I like the idea of a modern front hub for the 88's and the suggestion of offering different stud circle diameters is great.

Modern bearings use balls.
The rollers will be used for higher load capacity. Modern tires, especially race tires, put loads on the suspension that it was not designed to handle. As delivered by GM, the wheel bearings are the weakest link.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also an interested party. My 88 will need bearings before I finish with it.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2011 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in, and I know two other 88 owners that would be in too. Both of them have 2, 88's. So we'd be in for at least 5 sets.

Rob
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I doubt I will try to make different variations.

Understood, but it would be great if you could at least offer an option to leave the bolt circle undrilled so those of us so inclined (and properly equipped) can do it themselves. Whatever you do, please don't make the hub flange diameter any smaller than the OEM '88 front hubs, which are just large enough to accommodate a bolt circle up to 120 mm (4.75 in) with an adequate safety margin.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 12-07-2011).]

Bengt Weil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bengt WeilSend a Private Message to Bengt WeilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to another great product.

[This message has been edited by Bengt Weil (edited 12-07-2011).]

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like an interesting product addition. Thumbs up on the idea!
I have an '88 GT 3800 SC Series II project that could use this product in the future, once it gets ready for the road.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 12-06-2011).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2011 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Whatever you do, please don't make the hub flange diameter any smaller than the OEM '88 front hubs, which are just large enough to accommodate a 120 mm (4.75 in) bolt circle with an adequate safety margin.

They will be the same diameter as OEM. 147.2 mm.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also would "vote" for undrilled, and a little larger would be great but not absolutely necessary. Running 130mm pattern on both of mine, it will just fit on the stock hub.

Having said that, we will be happy just to have the new ones available. Thanks, Rodney

Mike
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What would we do without you Rodney?

My bearings are ok for now, but you bet your ass I'll buy yours when I need them. (Actually, probably sooner, so I make sure to get some).

I can only hope you're making a decent living off your parts, because I hope you're around for a long time to come.

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They will be OEM replacements. I doubt I will try to make different variations.

How about putting two sets of holes at different bolt circle diameters to cover OEM and the next popular size? Then, studs can be put into the bolt circle of choice. This allows for some variety with no variations. I'm not very familiar with these hubs, but this sounds like a good compromise.
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:
How about putting two sets of holes at different bolt circle diameters to cover OEM and the next popular size? Then, studs can be put into the bolt circle of choice. This allows for some variety with no variations. I'm not very familiar with these hubs, but this sounds like a good compromise.

That's likely not feasible. The hubs have access holes so that you can use a Torx drive to attach the bearing unit to the knuckle:

The better option would be to produce a hub flange that has the access holes in it, but no lug stud holes. the flange could be marked at 72° increments to show the axis along which the lug studs would need to be drilled, and people who want a different lug pattern diameter would have to get the hub flanges drilled themselves.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The design and engineering is for the most part finished. I still have a few things to look at. I may consider making some with no wheel stud holes. It will be a long time before I would have any on hand. Something like this always takes a long time. Maybe by next fall/winter? At this time I'm fairly confident it will happen.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The design and engineering is for the most part finished. I still have a few things to look at. I may consider making some with no wheel stud holes. It will be a long time before I would have any on hand. Something like this always takes a long time. Maybe by next fall/winter? At this time I'm fairly confident it will happen.

This is good news for all 88 owners

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |Work done 11-12 |
4.9 ongoing project |Parts for sale

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, Rodney.
Have any design changes been made to the spindle to ensure that it is strong enough (or at least stronger than the original)? Is the bearing pair set up with cups or cones outboard?
You've already mentioned that the race is part of the unit... Is the inner race integral with the spindle or the outer race with the housing (both)?

Everyone interested should note that dual tapered rollers are for high performance, high load applications.
OEM's use ball bearings because they have lower friction than rollers. As we already know, for small bearings like the '88 front hubs and various GM small pattern FWD hubs, the contact stress at the ball interface brinels and spalls the races, when the car is driven to its potential on high performance or race tires. This is especially bad when the outer bearing inner race is integral with the spindle as it is on many of the GM bearings.
The tapered rollers have greater contact area, lower contact stress and are better able to handle this load.

If you keep good records, you may notice a slight drop in gas mileage after switching to the tapered rollers.
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never wanted an 88 because of the bearing problems (finding a reliable replacement) that go with them, looks like I can now buy that 88 I always wanted.
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I may consider making some with no wheel stud holes.

2 words: Group Buy

I'm sure you buy these in batches because one-offs are expensive and a hassle. If an order for a specific bolt pattern got large enough (a group buy), then I'm sure it's worth the trouble.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock