Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project by Rodney
Started on: 12-02-2011 09:26 AM
Replies: 246 (12266 views)
Last post by: 0z on 01-28-2019 09:56 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adding the gear oil seems to be working well. I have a set on a 88 that a guy auto crosses, road races etc. He made some clamp things to keep the covers on as they will loosen when used on track cars. He also installed vents on the covers so the internal air pressure remains neutral. He has seen no wear or any mechanical problems. I have been adding this Mobil One gear oil to every hub I have been selling and sealing the cover on with Locktite bearing retainer. The seal inside is made to keep things out, not keep oil in. So over time there may be a slight amount of this oil that may push past the seal from internal pressure when the hub gets warm when driving. With normal driving that should be a very small amount. In time I will see if that is too much and if it is I'll look to install some type of vent on them.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2016 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Adding the gear oil seems to be working well. I have a set on a 88 that a guy auto crosses, road races etc. He made some clamp things to keep the covers on as they will loosen when used on track cars. He also installed vents on the covers so the internal air pressure remains neutral. He has seen no wear or any mechanical problems. I have been adding this Mobil One gear oil to every hub I have been selling and sealing the cover on with Locktite bearing retainer. The seal inside is made to keep things out, not keep oil in. So over time there may be a slight amount of this oil that may push past the seal from internal pressure when the hub gets warm when driving. With normal driving that should be a very small amount. In time I will see if that is too much and if it is I'll look to install some type of vent on them.

Rodney , I couldn't find them on your site.
The Restored GT I sold My friend is in need and I have a few OE hubs in crates I thought he would be better off with the new ones he makes.
It will never see a track so I'm sure they will last his lifetime.

Can you direct me?
0z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2019 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 0zSend a Private Message to 0zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Resurrected from the dead.
So, all of these years later, how are these bearings holding up?
PO says he installed 1st Gen Rodney Dickman bearings in 2016, 1,500 miles ago. The right one is growling.
I have a set of Chinese bearing and a set of the original OE bearing. I could just use those, or...
I can get these
http://rodneydickman.com/ca....php?products_id=427

[This message has been edited by 0z (edited 01-26-2019).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[/b]

[B]Originally posted by 0z:

Resurrected from the dead.
So, all of these years later, how are these bearings holding up?
PO says he installed 1st Gen Rodney Dickman bearings in 2016, 1,500 miles ago. The right one is growling.
I have a set of Chinese bearing and a set of the original OE bearing. I could just use those, or...
I can get these

Rodney may no longer be selling the 88 front hubs. One guy had an incident with them where the shaft snapped while racing. Then Rodney put a caveat on the parts saying "not for racing use". To avoid possible litigation the hubs may no longer be available but that's up to Mr Dickman..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's still hope.... I've been working with a racing vendor who had two former PFF members work with them to create a spindle/hub setup and then dropped it. I picked it back up with the vendor, worked out the remaining dimensions, volunteered to be a guinea pig, and have a set installed on an 88 crossmember waiting to go in. My fiero is currently getting some body work done so I have zero test time with them although the design provided was pulled from their similar Corvette and Camaro solutions with many many race miles put on them. I've been asked by the Vendor to test them out first before they allow begin selling.

The only downside to these thus far is that the spindle snout is quite long and robust and the hub snout will "not" fit stock rims. I had to hog out about 2mm from the lip that holds the wheel cap in place within the pilot bore on my front aftermarket wheels.

[This message has been edited by msweldon (edited 01-28-2019).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

[b][/b] Rodney may no longer be selling the 88 front hubs. One guy had an incident with them where the shaft snapped while racing. Then Rodney put a caveat on the parts saying "not for racing use". To avoid possible litigation the hubs may no longer be available but that's up to Mr Dickman..

PM sent...
0z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2019 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 0zSend a Private Message to 0zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like he is still selling hubs.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay