Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project by Rodney
Started on: 12-02-2011 09:26 AM
Replies: 246 (12307 views)
Last post by: 0z on 01-28-2019 09:56 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After all the time , money and effort I put into having these made and one person has to rip on me.

When your wheel falls off

If you would look back at the pictures I posted of these you would see it is next to impossible for one to come apart. The caliper also would not allow a hub to come off the car. Worst case is they would slowly start to growl and get noisy. Are you that stupid?

It is obvious you only want to rip on me. I wonder why?? Answer that question.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked one simple question, "Are these made in China?"
YOU turned it into drama, and still HAVEN'T answered the question.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003
And talk about ripping on, you came into my other thread and ripped on me.
Just for asking "Made in China?"
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have been ripping on me for years. What up?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
In my opinion you are only looking to try and stick it to me for your own personal pleasure. I never suggested these would hold up for track use. I thought they would. Maybe they won't. So now you seem to want to use this to take jabs at me. Good for you.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 06-08-2014).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
sardonyx247: it is too bad you seem to have this dislike for me. You may remember back when I looked to have the larger boosters made as new units. I had a batch of HD push rods made in a larger diameter just to insure I would never have a push rod/banjo failure. Ultimately I decided against continuing on with the larger brake boosters. But: I have about 280 HD push rods on hand and no use for them. Gee - I wonder who could use them? So these occasional jabs at me really paid off now didn't it.

So everyone you sell a booster to now has to pack up and send you their old booster just so you can get the banjo out of it. I'm guessing all your customers would rather have a Hd push rod/banjo in your brake boosters and not have to ship their old booster to you. Am I right??

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing like a public spat.....
Take it to PM.
Aren't you two supposed to be PROFESSIONALS?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have enough of Rodney's productions on my 88 Formula to have a pretty good idea of the quality he sells. I'm not at all concerned about someone else's gripes. If it was proven for racing, he'd say so. Even the factory will tell you racing voids the warranty on most anything.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I asked was, are these made in China.
YOU started ripping on me for it.
How is that ripping on you?
I just asked one question.
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too have used many of Rodney's products and they have all been first rate.

I have a set of his front hubs ready to go on my 88 as soon as the 3.8 swap is finished and have no concerns about quality.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

All I asked was, are these made in China.
YOU started ripping on me for it.
How is that ripping on you?
I just asked one question.

Take it to PM or stuff it.

PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every single thing that I've purchased from Rodney is of excellent quality with great service.

Nolan
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This project took many years and a lot of effort. If not for these we would all be looking at the eBearing as the only 88 wheel hub ever available. Time will tell if mine hold up better than the eBearing units. Maybe someday someone else will come along and produce a HD version that will hold up on race cars. Hopefully until then I don't get bashed too much that mine do not hold up as well as the OEM GM units do on high G force race cars.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

ennored

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ennoredSend a Private Message to ennoredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my experience, making hubs last has LOTS to do with what grease is used.

Rodney, do you recommend a particular brand? Synthetic? Dino?

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ennored:

Rodney, do you recommend a particular brand? Synthetic? Dino?

Since these are sealed units, it would be interesting to know who actually makes the final decision in regards to what type of grease has been used.
ennored

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ennoredSend a Private Message to ennoredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy, guess I assumed since they were tapered rollers and that Rodney talked about taking one apart, I thought they'd be rebuildable. So that's my new question, can they be taken apart?

[This message has been edited by ennored (edited 06-09-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought they'd be rebuildable. So that's my new question, can they be taken apart?

I don't wish to be possibly contributing to misinformation. With talk on the previous page of the grease cap perhaps needing to be tig-welded on (so it doesn't come off at the track), I assumed the hub itself was sealed, and not rebuildable. However, re-reading what Steven wrote, I'm not sure now what he actually did... whether he disassembled the hub, or just rinsed it out and somehow re-packed it with grease. Maybe Steven (or Rodney) can chime in here.

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Despite the cover coming off and the bearing grease being replaced with rocks, dirt, and brake dust, the bearing lasted the rest of the weekend and the drive home, and with the grit removed and fresh grease in it, I'll probably keep it as a backup.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-10-2014).]

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't it a requirement for all goods and items imported into the US to have the country of origin marked on the items?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boy, guess I assumed since they were tapered rollers and that Rodney talked about taking one apart, I thought they'd be rebuildable. So that's my new question, can they be taken apart?

I took one apart by putting it in my lathe and turned the rolled over area until it came apart. But once that is done it is junk and can never be put back together again.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
I had them made in mainland China. I have told many where I had them made. It is no big secrete. sardonyx247 came in this topic fishing for something to rip on me as he has done occasionally in the past. So I would not answer to him knowing he would probably use it to get a few jabs in. This guy for some reason does not like me and occasionally takes cheap shots at me. Overall this is not (IMO) good for this group. It makes vendors like me not want to be involved on the forum. It also makes vendors like me not want to try to get difficult items made. I've seen more than a few vendors thru the years give up and go away because what they made was not absolute perfection but was fairly nice and a few people were not happy and (loudly) voiced their opinions. So I get defensive and lash back at him. It took a lot to get this accomplished. I did what I did and there it is. If your are worried about my 88 hubs buy the eBearing hubs.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just so you know, I'll be buying my next set of front hubs from Rodney regardless of where they are made. My current pair are Rodney's last (ball bearing) design and they have performed well through ~10 years of spirited street driving. They now hum under heavy braking so I suspect they are heading toward the recycle heap but considering the roads I've driven (DFW has horrible roads) and the abuse I've put them through I have been very happy with the purchase.

Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the gray, fox...
PFF
System Bot
George P Wood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm less concerned with where these are made. What I really want are quality parts at a reasonable cost.
Yes, I would prefer that they were made in the USA, but we have transferred almost all of our manufacuring jobs overseas.
Maybe Rodney will decide to have them tweaked some for the next run of 500, time will tell.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a new hub for the 1984-87 front spindle that supports the GM 5x115mm wheel bolt pattern with a bigger hub centric that can utilize bigger W or H body brake rotors?

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had one idea today. Might be worth it for those who want to use these in track cars. Maybe: Take the cover off and put in some top shelf gear lube. Maybe find O-rings that fit the cover and press the cover back on. Tack weld if need be. Maybe drill a small hole in the center off the cover and put a rubber patch over it. This would allow for heated air expansion.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eBearing 88 front hubs are Great?
Ebearing said possible problems using this hub.
Read eBearings page... www.ebearing.com/rarebearings/fiero.htm

Wheel and Tire Considerations
The Fiero's suspension design predates engineering consideration for wheels, offsets, tires and tire compounds available today. As with any older vehicle, it is very easy to install wheels and tires which produce suspension loads higher than the vehicle was designed to handle. Not only the front wheel bearings could be damaged; the Fiero's rear wheel hub assemblies are a design which dates back to 1980 and should also be considered carefully.

Concours
These units may not be suitable for concours. While the original units produced in 1987-1988 had forgings which were only machined on critical surfaces, these units have been fully machined to current practice.

Racing
While racing use is not approved and voids all warranties, these are ball bearing hub units with the same overall construction as the original and so are SCCA legal.

These likely better that OE but likely still have most of OE problems.

Originally posted by Rodney:
Had one idea today. Might be worth it for those who want to use these in track cars. Maybe: Take the cover off and put in some top shelf gear lube. Maybe find O-rings that fit the cover and press the cover back on. Tack weld if need be. Maybe drill a small hole in the center off the cover and put a rubber patch over it. This would allow for heated air expansion.

PM sent
KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used several of Rodney's products and have to say that his stuff is quality. Keep in mind that all iPhones and iPads are made in China!! Not everything made in China is junk and not everything made in the USA is quality!! My $.02
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

eBearing 88 front hubs are Great?
Ebearing said possible problems using this hub.
Read eBearings page... www.ebearing.com/rarebearings/fiero.htm
PM sent

There have been a few write ups on the eBearing hubs. I took one apart to see what was inside. A few others did the same. They use a common double ball bearing assembly available at any bearing supplier in them. The size of the ball bearings in them is about 1/3rd the diameter that of OEM. Very small. Scary small. That is why they do not hold up and certainly will not last long on a track car.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre posted the following in regard to the eBearing '88 Fiero hubs:

Originally posted by theogre:
These likely better that OE but likely still have most of OE problems.

The eBearing hubs are not better than OE. The OE bearings worked great. They last for at least a season at the track. The problem is the dwindling supply. I'm down to my last pair. The eBearing hubs are junk. At least one racer experienced failure of the hub assembly in the first session on track. The hub broke off. I wish we could still get OE bearings; they don't have any problems except for the supply.

One of Rodney's tapered roller bearing hubs failed on me during a track weekend because the grease cover came off. It still rolls, but I would only use that failed bearing as a backup for street transit only. The second Rodney bearing lasted a weekend at the track before it developed excessive play. The grease did not come out. This doesn't mean they will have any problems on the street.

I will report on the third new Rodney bearing once I have a chance to inspect it tonight or tomorrow. It has a little less than one full weekend on it.

What lube is in the bearings as delivered?

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 06-11-2014).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What lube is in the bearings as delivered?

The hub manufacturer choose the lube. Had someone mentioned that I should have voiced my opinion on the lube choice I could have done that. I'm not sure any other choice would have been a better choice. The company that made them makes automotive bearing hubs. This is all this company makes is wheel bearing hubs. Possibly had I told them some would be used on race cars they could have possibly made them in a way they would be more HD? Maybe and maybe not. The problem is the overall inside diameter. There is only so much room to work with. HD requires a larger diameter most likely.

They also make hubs with round ball bearings. If and when I sell most of my stock I could explore having the next batch made in round bearings. But they may or may not be stronger than the roller bearings. I felt the tapered roller bearing design would be the most durable. I would have to pay a tooling charge again for the forgings to be made for round ball bearings.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
I suggested adding some top shelf gear lube because maybe at higher side G forces the grease does not move around the rollers as well as an oil would. I still think the adding of some type of high end gear lube, O ring and the small hole with a rubber cover etc is worth trying. If someone that uses these hubs for track use wants to try that I'll supply a hub N/C for R&D.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever thought of sending an OE bearing to a manufacturer, and asking them to duplicate it exactly?
I'm only an old fuddy-duddy, but I think that would be the way to go.
PFF
System Bot
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suggested adding some top shelf gear lube because maybe at higher side G forces the grease does not move around the rollers as well as an oil would. I still think the adding of some type of high end gear lube, O ring and the small hole with a rubber cover etc is worth trying. If someone that uses these hubs for track use wants to try that I'll supply a hub N/C for R&D.

That's where the truth can come out. The most frustrating thing about these cars ('88 models specifically) is that they are a tiny percentage of ANY aftermarket. It gets really expensive to try and do any R&D for such a low-volume part.

That said, it sure seems to me like the best bet would be an attempt at re-creating the stock design. From what I know (my wife made me throw my loose stock bearings out before I could tear them apart) the OEM design incorporated bearing races into the forgings. This would allow for the highest ball diameter and lowest point-loading possible. Also, from what I understand, this is what they did for the current run of tapered rollers, yes? I'd be willing to bet that the failure point is the races being worn down due to insufficient hardening at the factory. That's purely a guess but based on my experience as a mechanical designer it's a lot easier to harden the rollers or balls than it is to get just the races of a large forging hard and perfectly ground as required for a rolling-element bearing. Those are just edumacated guesses on my part though. ;)

Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the rollin', fox...

------------------
| /\_/\ TrotFox \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
| >\_/< trotfox at gmail.com \ third alternative."

George P Wood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"I'd be willing to bet that the failure point is the races being worn down due to insufficient hardening at the factory."
That was my thought exactly when I first heard of them failing.
It seems to me that if this is a reputable manufacturer (which I believe they are) it would be worthwhile for Rodney to send one of the failed bearings to the factory and let them investigate as to the cause of the failures. I would think they would have the expertise in house. If not there must be some business that specializes in such things. I doubt if all automobile manufacters perform everything in-house. As others have suggested the bearing is subjected to much greater stresses than it was originally designed for and the only viable solution may be a bigger bearing, etc. and the whole host of problems adapting it to the 88 Fiero. Other-wise any changes would be just a shot in the dark.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has come up with '88 front hubs that from all reports so far are perfectly suitable for street use, but they do not hold up under track conditions. The sad truth is that the space available for the hub bearings in the '88 front knuckle is simply inadequate to support the cornering loads that can be generated by modern competition tires. Even ordinary street tires are stickier today than they were in 1988. For now, Rodney's front hubs are probably the best option '88 owners have available to them for a street-only car.

The size of the ball bearings in [eBearing hubs] is about 1/3rd the diameter that of OEM. Very small. Scary small. That is why they do not hold up ...

Not necessarily, and neither you nor I will know without doing a full engineering analysis. Ball/roller size is only one variable in a complete bearing design. Consider uncaged needle roller bearings; the rollers in them are small ... maybe even "scary small" ... but they work just fine for their intended applications.

The problem is the overall inside diameter. There is only so much room to work with. HD requires a larger diameter most likely.

That's only half of the problem. The othert half is the length of the housing ... which limits the distance between the inboard and outboard bearing sets. The bearing loads while cornering (i.e. due to lateral tire loads) are directly related to that spacing. You couldn't just lengthen the bearing housing, either; you would also have to modify the knuckle to extend the hub bore to properly support a longer bearing.

I suggested adding some top shelf gear lube because maybe at higher side G forces the grease does not move around the rollers as well as an oil would.

Probably a bad idea. There are valid reasons that every OEM wheel bearing I know of uses grease for lubrication. The engineers who design such things really do understand them better than we do. Nothing wrong with trying different lube strategies on an experimental basis, though.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-12-2014).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Marvin McInnis

11599 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Originally posted by TrotFox:

I'd be willing to bet that the failure point is the races being worn down due to insufficient hardening at the factory.

Originally posted by George P Wood:

That was my thought exactly when I first heard of them failing.

Possibly, but the use of outer races machined into the housing can be problematic. You can only apply so much hardening to the machined races before the housing becomes too brittle and begins to crack under load. Consider also that under extreme loads the housing itself is going to deflect (i.e. flex) slightly, with a resulting distortion in the outer bearing races. The key problem is that the '88 front knuckle simply does not provide enough room to support an adequately sized integral-bearing hub ... at least not adequate for competition loads seen on the track with modern tires.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Marvin McInnis

11599 posts
Member since Apr 2002

The eBearing hubs are junk. At least one racer experienced failure of the hub assembly in the first session on track. The hub broke off.

If I remember correctly, the failure you describe was a failure in the hub flange rather than in the bearings.

I think it's unfair to characterize any of the readily available '88 front hubs, OEM or aftermarket, as "junk." (I specifically exclude the no-name Chinese hubs that occasionally appear ... and disappear ... on eBay.) They all seem to be adequate for their intended use on a street-driven car, but they all exhibit short service life under track conditions.

I realize it's frustrating for racers, but the central fact is that sticky modern tires are capable of generating loads beyond the design capacity of any '88 front hub cartridge ever offered commercially, OEM or aftermarket. I do not dispute your experience that the OEM bearings may have held up better under track conditions, but I remember that they were failing, too, back when they were the only choice available. Tires were less sticky back then, too.

Additional information straight from the supplier of the eBearing units can be found in a thread in the PFF archives:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...14-2-108566.html#p26
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...14-2-108566.html#p34
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...-2-108566-2.html#p46
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...-2-108566-2.html#p49
Actually, that entire thread is really relevant and informative on this topic.

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Has anyone ever thought of sending an OE bearing to a manufacturer, and asking them to duplicate it exactly?

Do that and let us know what you find out. The tooling costs and minimum order will make your eyes bug out. Like anything. It can be done but no one would pay that cost and no one would be able to afford to buy them. Or very few. It was worth doing for the 1988 (and they hoped for more years after the 88) Fiero. But for a very low demand item today the cost of off the charts to do just that.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There have been a few write ups on the eBearing hubs. I took one apart to see what was inside. A few others did the same. They use a common double ball bearing assembly available at any bearing supplier in them. The size of the ball bearings in them is about 1/3rd the diameter that of OEM. Very small. Scary small. That is why they do not hold up and certainly will not last long on a track car.

Interesting. I didn't know that. The eBearing rep that posted here a while back said that they were "made to the same specs" as the OE units... which is obvious bunk now that we've seen them in action. I wonder why he doesn't post here any more?

Possibly had I told them some would be used on race cars they could have possibly made them in a way they would be more HD? Maybe and maybe not. The problem is the overall inside diameter. There is only so much room to work with. HD requires a larger diameter most likely.

The tapered roller design IS more durable than a ball bearing design with the same constraints. There's just more contact area in the tapered rollers. OEM's use balls because they give better fuel economy.

The biggest single factor in the load capabilities of the bearings is the *AXIAL* distance between the two rows of bearings. You can make a given bearing much tougher by increasing this distance without increasing the outside diameter of the housing. The only thing yours need to be to handle the stress is deeper.

Something more like these is what the '88 Fieros need for motorsports:

http://hoosierperformanceen...ineering-wheel-hubs/

There was another site which use a custom spindle in the stock housing to mount tapered rollers, but for some reason I don't have that in my bookmarks...

A real motorsports capable hub would be rebuildable, have O-ring seals, disassembled and reassembled with simple hand-tools, etc.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-13-2014).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by TopNotch:

That's what the eBearing units were supposed to be... but weren't.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:
Probably a bad idea. There are valid reasons that every OEM wheel bearing I know of uses grease for lubrication. The engineers who design such things really do understand them better than we do. Nothing wrong with trying different lube strategies on an experimental basis, though.

There are a lot of considerations. Old Mercedes CV joints used gear oil instead of grease, for example.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock