Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tapered roller bearing 88 front wheel bearings project by Rodney
Started on: 12-02-2011 09:26 AM
Replies: 246 (12305 views)
Last post by: 0z on 01-28-2019 09:56 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Do want... I have a front driver side bearing starting to hum.

There was a discussion earlier about the higher rolling resistance inherent with this type of bearing... is it really that significant?

It actually is worth measurable fuel economy to an OEM looking for the last 0.1 for the CAFE.
You shouldn't notice in normal use of the vehicle.
IP: Logged
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14219 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm making them like OEM. The sample they sent me which I'm thinking is maybe a full size truck bearing is also short. Any longer and my ball joint tool is no longer useful as the bearing would be over the ball joint shafts. I'm staying with the OEM size.

Removing the wheel bearing to get the ball joint out would not be without precedent.
In 2nd gen W-bodies, the axle has to be pushed back from the bearing before the ball joint nut can come off because the surface of the outer CV joint is only 1/8" or so off the end of the ball joint shank.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-15-2012).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sample is finished and I should have it maybe by the end of this week.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Rodney,

You mentioned in another thread that you might be able to put together a rubber bushing set for the '88 rear suspension. Is that project still on the table? I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I figure the same folks will be interested in both products.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Bushing available, see here for info:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121294.html

edited to include correct link to rubber bushing - poly is available from Rockauto or Fiero Store.

The info in that thread is incomplete. Rodney, are you still looking into supplying a rubber bushing kit?

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A one piece tool to prime the oil pump on a 2.8V6 would be nice too! My socket didn't come back out with the extension! Crap!

Jonathan
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The sample 1988 front wheel bearing with tapered bearings is here. Told you I would eventually get this done. Projects like this take a long time.

They weigh almost exactly the same as an OEM GM unit. 6.60 to 6.62 pounds. It looks almost identical. I'll pop the back cover off to look at the tapered bearings inside maybe tomorrow. The new bearing is the one on the left. The one on the right is a NOS OEM GM 88 front wheel bearing. I have 2 new OEM GM 88 front wheel bearings. I bought them from Barb Hack several years ago at a Michigan Fiero show to keep for spares for my 88 Mera.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 08-27-2012).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pictures aren't working.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

The pictures aren't working.

They work for me. I used myfiero.com to post them.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
http://myfiero.com/uploads/31268_.jpg

http://myfiero.com/uploads/31269_.jpg

http://myfiero.com/uploads/31270_.jpg

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still don't see anything...
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any better? myfiero.com used to always work for me.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no problem viewing the pic's
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If these will survive a track day, and R-Compound tires that would be awesome!

Let me know if you need me, and/or other fellow racing drivers to test them. I can also test them for you in off-road (mild rally like use) if you would like me to.

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool Rodney. Thanks for all your hard work on all the products that you provide.

Nolan
etofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im going to need to do bearings on my 88 at some point, so im watching and waiting in rapt anticipation. any idea how long before they go up for sale or the price?
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the pics are working fine today, and the new bearing looks good. Somebody needs to take one of these on the Dragon a few times, and see how it holds up.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The sample 1988 front wheel bearing with tapered bearings is here. Told you I would eventually get this done. Projects like this take a long time.

They weigh almost exactly the same as an OEM GM unit. 6.60 to 6.62 pounds. It looks almost identical. I'll pop the back cover off to look at the tapered bearings inside maybe tomorrow. The new bearing is the one on the left. The one on the right is a NOS OEM GM 88 front wheel bearing. I have 2 new OEM GM 88 front wheel bearings. I bought them from Barb Hack several years ago at a Michigan Fiero show to keep for spares for my 88 Mera.

How many of these will you have to sell to amortize your non-recurring costs?
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now, I know why women like nice ,pretty, shiny things!
Kelvin Vivian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2012 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kelvin VivianSend a Private Message to Kelvin VivianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work Rodney - I need a set yesterday! I'll be placing an order through your website for at least one set once they become available.

Thanks for looking out for us Fiero members. Brian Geyer recommended I purchase your zero-lash links, and others have also recommended I purchase your clutch master/slave cylinders - which parts I have already ordered...

Best, Kelvin

------------------

88 GT T-Top 5-spd #338 of 1252
87 SE 4-cyl 5-spd sunroof, spoiler, performance sound (sold)
85 2M4 base coupe T-Top 5-spd, rackless decklid, 15-in 88 GT rims, aero-conversion (sold)

[This message has been edited by Kelvin Vivian (edited 08-30-2012).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have OK'd them to start making these. I should have them on hand by the end of the year.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
``And there was much rejoicing``
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do we have a price yet?
Any word how they are doing in a race environment?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

Since I only have one preproduction prototype I felt it was not worthy of a test on a race car. The prototype was to check dimensions etc. When the set up production and make the first 500 piece batch anyone is welcome to buy a pair to see how they hold up on a race car. I'll be interested to see how they do.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

DonP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

Do we have a price yet?

Ran by Rodney's site, price quoted as $169.99 ea. That sounds terrific if they fill the requirements of your second question. We will be ordering a set for our track car. Gotta believe they will be a significant improvement over older stock units.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Price sounds OK. The knock offs from TFS were almost that and they did not hold up at all on my autocrosser.
So if these do it's a no brainer buy 3 (one for a spare)
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1988 front bearing hubs are finished now. They need to be inspected and packed yet. It will be several weeks before I receive them. So sometime around the end of the year I will have them in stock.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent!!!

THANKS!
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroCustom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCustomClick Here to visit FieroCustom's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroCustomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Yay.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Originally posted by FieroCustom:

Yay.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work Rodney. This solves a lot of problems for a lot of people.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Great work Rodney. This solves a lot of problems for a lot of people.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are the man Rodney!
TejasFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TejasFieroSend a Private Message to TejasFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They will be OEM replacements. I doubt I will try to make different variations.

I'm interested
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are on their way to my house! I'm tempted to go out an install them when they get here, but it's only 11 degrees out there at the moment... and I don't drive my Fiero in salt anyway. I'd have to warm up the propane tank to get the heater going.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 12-31-2012).]

FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 1988 front bearing hubs are finished now.
They need to be inspected and packed yet. It will be several weeks before I receive them.
Sometime around the end of the year I will have them in stock.

Thanks Rodney,
Please keep us updated, and let us know when they are in stock, and ready to be shipped out.

~ Bob ~

P.S. I hope you have a happy, healthy, and profitable New Year.

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

[This message has been edited by FieroBobo (edited 12-31-2012).]

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

Thanks Rodney,
Please keep us updated, and let us know when they are in stock, and ready to be shipped out.

~ Bob ~

P.S. I hope you have a happy, healthy, and profitable New Year.

Did you even read my post or visit his site?
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:
Did you even read my post or visit his site?

I didn't read your post. Don't take it personal, I must have skimmed past it as I reviewed page 3 of this thread.
I did go to his website just now and found the following:

"Update 12-09-12: They are on the way and they will be here and in stock right around Christmas. Maybe the day before or maybe a day or two after Christmas.
Update 12-22-12: I will have these in stock on Dec 27, 2012 and I will be shipping all orders and pre orders on Friday Dec 28, 2012.

Now in stock and ready to ship.
Prices:
1988 Pontiac Fiero front wheel bearing hub - each: $159.99
1988 Pontiac Fiero front wheel bearing hub - pair: $299.99

~ Bob ~

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is what the meant man... I didn't take it personal.

Happy New Year!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In stock and ready to ship now. I shipped out several pairs for people that were waiting for them on Monday.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic