Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 4cyl auto w 23828 + original miles been sitting over 17 years (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 4cyl auto w 23828 + original miles been sitting over 17 years by weloveour86se
Started on: 09-20-2011 07:03 PM
Replies: 244 (7396 views)
Last post by: weloveour86se on 07-05-2015 04:14 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TejasFiero:

Where are you guys getting Fiero convertibles? That's two in this thread. I thought those were really rare

Knowing where they came from we better not see a third, silver one soon. Marks handy work I'm sure.

It is definitely spring here. We just had our first BBQ of the year! Num num num num. Also I saw the first bug of the year. Pic I just snapped of it.

Seriousy though Spring is here and were eager to get the Ghost headed towards the open road. Mark and I will kick the tires and go from there. No hurries here. We all have plenty of other stuff to do, albeit unimportant and unfiero related...I think I'll go install the new horn buttons I got from GTXBullet in my 86! Hey and that right there is another great reason why everyone should have more then one Fiero!!
IP: Logged
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TejasFiero:

Where are you guys getting Fiero convertibles? That's two in this thread. I thought those were really rare

The Indy convertible is a L.A. Machines/Brisa/California Convertible job. I added the V-6 to it.

The red Roadster in the garage is a custom made job I bought 10 years ago in Virginia. It has been an AMAZING car!! It has undergone two 2.8's,a 3.4 OHV and currently has a 4.9/Auto. Good fun.

Andy and I are gonna get the low-down on his '87 coupe this weekend. Be ready for a play-by-play of pics,laughs,merriment,tears,busted knuckles,and the squeals of joy from the 'lil Duke as she hums down the road like new. On top of getting this car running good,we gotta get it looking good..

All silver coupes represent!!! Anyone?!? Post your pics of your super clean silver coupes and give Andy something to smile about!!!!!

Til the next time....

Mark..

Remember.

F.I.E.R.O.

F.ix I.t E.veryday R.arely O.perating

[This message has been edited by Indyellowgt (edited 03-13-2013).]

MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indyellowgt:

All silver coupes represent!!! Anyone?!? Post your pics of your super clean silver coupes and Gove Andy something to smile about!!!!!

Til the next time....

Mark..

Remember.

F.I.E.R.O.

F.ix I.t E.veryday R.arely O.perating

The 86 auto is a very nice lo mile silver, I'll see if I can get some pix going.

F.I.E.R.O.

close cousin of F.O.R.D. Found On Road Dead

BR's

MarkS

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

The 86 auto is a very nice lo mile silver, I'll see if I can get some pix going

MarkS

Nice! Silver is a close favorite for me on a Fiero. Love stock '88 Yellow the most...

Let's see 'em!!

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a decent pic of her. Minus the AAA truck! lol. Pretty straight body. The rims are the stockers off my 86. A great starting point for a great resto IMO.

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 03-13-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update time....

So Mark has charged the battery and had a short test ride. The heater core is leaking pretty bad now I guess. He sent a pic to my cell and it's obvious. Also the front calipers need replacing or rebuilt. Were just going to replace. Ordered two front calipers and a new heater core from Autozone. I used online code spring1520 and got a great discount. Free shipping with orders over $75 and 20% off orders over $100. So far this is what we need.

Mark took it up the road for a quick spin. He says theres a miss or skip under load. Engine sounds great like a 20k motor should, tranny shifts great and smooth and should be good. Suspension is tight. Aside from getting the skip/miss out of acceleration and fixing the brakes the car should be good to go. Mostly cosmetics. Then theres a short laundry list of minor things. Headliner, moulding etc.

So hopefully when the parts we ordered come in we can set up some face time to discuss our goals with the car.

I will say we knew about the skip/miss issue as it was happening when we tried to move the car to winter storage. It was so bad we just called AAA and had them tow it the rest of the way. I don't know what it could be. The car idles like a champ and accelerates great until a certain speed. Then it misses, chugs, sputters etc.

Also we have a bunch of parts that we have been gathering for the car. Rotors for the front, moulding pieces etc. Oh and way back in this thread there was some "left over parts" I still have those as well. They were just brake line washers and cable hooks if I remember correctly.

Anyway progress is being made. We just had a foot of snow and hopefully after we all dig out we can set some goals and move forward. Momma's excited to drive her Ghost to the car show this year. Should be a great time!! We look forward to more progress.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:
I will say we knew about the skip/miss issue as it was happening when we tried to move the car to winter storage. It was so bad we just called AAA and had them tow it the rest of the way. I don't know what it could be. The car idles like a champ and accelerates great until a certain speed. Then it misses, chugs, sputters etc.

Out of curiosity, is the miss temperature related? I am just comparing notes here. I have been having an issue with the vert where when first started, it starts a real bad hesitation above about 3500rpm. Then, the higher the temp goes, the further up the rpm range the miss goes. By the time the coolant is up to temp, it is up to about 4500rpm before it hesitates. By the time everything in the engine bay is up to temp, it will go all the way to redline without a miss. Of course, I haven't done any research into the issue....my solution is to drive it till the problem goes away. Keeps me from being abusive to the car before it is warmed up.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Out of curiosity, is the miss temperature related? I am just comparing notes here. I have been having an issue with the vert where when first started, it starts a real bad hesitation above about 3500rpm. Then, the higher the temp goes, the further up the rpm range the miss goes. By the time the coolant is up to temp, it is up to about 4500rpm before it hesitates. By the time everything in the engine bay is up to temp, it will go all the way to redline without a miss. Of course, I haven't done any research into the issue....my solution is to drive it till the problem goes away. Keeps me from being abusive to the car before it is warmed up.

Honestly I can't say. We really haven't had enough of a chance to drive it much. I wish I had a better answer. I think our problem could be a bad plug wire or plug or sensor. Although I'm honestly just trying to be optimistic..

Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Out of curiosity..........

Hey guys... It's a miss under acceleration and occasionally at warm-up idle. Seems to do it all the time.. I have not had another chance to look at it,but I am leaning heavily towards the IAC. It idles way too fast as it is stepping thru its cold-startup routine.. plug wire(s) could be suspect as well as the coil.(for the miss not the high idle) Overall tho,I feel Andrew is going to have a minimal investment to get this 'ol girl in daily driver shape!
I'm sure Andrew and I will be getting together this weekend to chat about it. I'll be seeing him to get the brake parts for sure anyhow.
Mark

[This message has been edited by Indyellowgt (edited 03-22-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These came in today. Front calipers and heater core.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update time again. While we were stuffing our faces yesterday, Easter lunch, Mark was hard at work. Turning the wrenches and fixing the Ghost. Lucky guy, there I was listening to Nanna when he texted me.

Anyway Mark replaced a couple spark plugs and the EGR. Now the Ghost runs like a swiss watch! Awesome news. Pshew I'm thinking maybe my rebuild wasn't so bad after all. Honestly this was the first time I have EVER tried anything of this scope. I know to most here it seems piddly but to me it's HUGE. I definitely couldn't have done it without PFF and all the great people here. Hell I wouldn't even have thought about it without all the help. Just knowing that if I had a question I could search here or ask was monumental for me!! I cannot begin to say TY enough! I'll definitely go "buy Cliff a beer"!! I bought several in the past but have NO problem doing so again

So all she needs now is new rear calipers. Hopefully we can get those ordered today. Like I've said in the past, I short sheeted the rebuild. I knew the calipers were probably junked after sitting for so long. However time, tools and a decent spot to work limited my abilities, not to mention lack of experience.

Hopefully Mark will be along to add to my update. Big TY's go out to Mark as well. You Da' man!
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick post to add some pics of the factory heater core. This is after sitting for around 18 years w/coolant in it, just sitting there stewing.

This makes me really worry about how the rest of the cooling system may look inside. When I pulled the water pump feed line before dropping the cradle there was some serious gunk in there. Also the coolant line to the intake manny was pretty well gunked up.

Of course I ordered the non A.C. heater core so this one has to go back for an exchange. Also going to be putting in our order for remand rear calipers. The dang core charge is $55 and the calipers are $57 each. Man what a core charge!

All told I suppose it could be TONS worse (knock on wood).

edited for dang typos...

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 04-03-2013).]

nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is giving me the urge to get back to finishing my 87 coupe restoration. It came to a halt when I bought my GT.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nmw75:

This is giving me the urge to get back to finishing my 87 coupe restoration. It came to a halt when I bought my GT.

Yeah I saw a pic you posted recently of your cars parked side by side in another thread. Care to post that pic here? I'd really enjoy it. That's a great looking rare blue IIRC. That pic I stared at for some time. It's a good reference for me.

New rear calipers are on their way. They should be here Wednesday. I need to return the heater core that I ordered, it's for a non A.C. car. Also way back in the day (last year) when we were dropping the cradle we were having some difficulties with the drivers side strut tower. We couldn't get it free for some reason. Sooo, my insistent helper insisted we remove the two lower strut mount bolts. Sooo, now we need to deal with alignment of that wheel. Hopefully Mark can work some mojo while installing the new calipers. At least get it closer.

Man were so close!! I CANNOT wait to drive this car

EDIT to add...Oops that's Fiero67's pic I think. I saw it in the 87 registry thread...Sorry Nmw..my bad. Right state, Maine, wrong PFF'er.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090746.html

I'll post this link to that thread so I will remember to post there when the Ghost get home and we can check the digits

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 04-06-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yippie! FedEx just dropped off the new rear calipers! Pretties!

Man these new calipers sure would look great painted up and installed on my 86 instead of Momma's Ghost! Returned the cores to the local store, they refunded the core charge back to Paypal. Supposedly. We shall see how long it takes to get back into my Paypal account. Also returned the non AC heater core and will pick up the right one at the same store tomorrow. Were SO close now! It's giving me fits! lol.
Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work on the fully-loaded calipers,bro! I'll pick them up as soon as the heater core is in!
The ghost is gonna ride again!!!!!!!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New heater core came in from Autozone. The new one is aluminum, the factory is copper. I'm a copper miser and save scrap pieces. I don't know current prices but last time I brought a box of cuts in it was almost $80! Oh I'm an electrician BTW.

So new cores here and were another step closer. The new core look smaller but as long as it fits who cares.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update time again. Mark put a pressure gauge on the fuel line and guess what. The fuel pump is not even really registering on the pressure gauge. This is probably the biggest issue with the running condition of the engine. The pump is just strong enough to push fuel but not strong enough to keep pressure.

So I put in the order and these arrived today. Courtesy of TFS. New fuel pump and strainer.

The fuel pump I installed during my short sheeted rebuild was a used part. It served it's purpose well'but now it's time for it to go. I got it cheap and fast during a, "Lets just see if the dang thing will run" crisis. Hopefully this new pump will solve our problems!
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just went back through the earlier posts on the silver machine. Might not be the pump so much as the tank itself. That thing was a mess. A better used tank isn't that hard to come by.

Just my $.02

BR's

Mark
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Just went back through the earlier posts on the silver machine. Might not be the pump so much as the tank itself. That thing was a mess. A better used tank isn't that hard to come by.

Just my $.02

BR's

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for chiming in. Maybe I didn't post it or I posted it in another thread. I mistakenly have posted about the car in three separate threads. My noobness

We replaced the factory fuel tank with a very clean used one we found locally. So your absolutely correct!

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Mark, thanks for chiming in. Maybe I didn't post it or I posted it in another thread. I mistakenly have posted about the car in three separate threads. My noobness

We replaced the factory fuel tank with a very clean used one we found locally. So your absolutely correct!

Yeah, probably its in this thread somewhere, only went to the first few pages.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update time!

The Ghost now has 23878 miles on her!! YESSS!!
This pic was from Momma's Subaru on the first real drive.

Better pic then the first

Momma went the other way through town. I cut her off and snapped this pic as she passed!

Best of all

Awesomeness! Momma loves it. She says it rides like a brand new car. So of course I had to take a spin when we got home. It is tight, no rattles, shakes or shimmies! Shifts smooth, rides straight and doesn't wander or drift. I took it up to 55 mph and it was smooth! It makes my 86 feel like a rattle can!

Big TYVM to Mark AKA Indyyellowgt!! He did a great job. He went above and beyond. What can we say? If your in the area and ever need anything done Marks the guy! He took great, great care of us! Mark your a real stand up dude! Thanks a TON!!

This is not the end of the adventure! I get the feeling it's only just beginning!! Plus now we have 2 running and driving Fiero's?!!

Edited to add a couple more pics

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 04-29-2013).]

Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!!! Love it!! I had a great time fixing the old girl.. it's a great little car. Glad you guys are happy!!

See ya around!!!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a few more miles on the girl and things seem great! Theres a slight heat shield rattle I need to find. At least that is what it sounds like. No biggie.

So I would like to start to address preventive maintenance on the drivetrain. First of all I think an oil change is in order. I did a oil change after I reinstalled the motor but want to do another. Does this sound like a good idea? Also how about a coolant system flush? Does this seem like a good idea? I have mixed feelings about a coolant flush. Also what about re-torque of the head bolts? I did follow the 3 step torque, torque rates and chart during rebuild but is there a need to re-torque them? Is there anything else anyone would suggest we look at? Tranny? Tranny flush? Turn signal fluid flush? Power wiper fluid?

Thanks again for all the great help, tips, advice and what not from everyone. Have a GREAT day!!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think changing fulids is always a good idea. Clutch and brake fluids too. Some systems will need the air bubbles out, coolant and clutch/brake. But the fresh fluid will be good. Never hurts to doa coolant flush. But you could get a tester and see how good the fluid still is. If it is not green anymore I would Change it.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry 2.5 I'm not ignoring you I just been busy and wanted time to look at the car. I agree fresh fluids are definitely in our future. I'm a bit concerned about a antifreeze flush. Oh and BTW Mark put a bunch of fresh antifreeze in because a lot leaked out due to the heater core. Also I put fresh stuff in at my first restart. I'm just nervous about a coolant flush and anything that may happen to the system. It seems to be holding tight so I figure leave it for later. Oil change definitely, but I want to keep the factory oil filter!

This is quoted from page 2

Explitive, explitive... Being the super intellegent person that I am, duh, I decided to replace the EGR valve gasket while I was there. Guess what? The left EGR bolt came out of the nice soft aluminum intake manifold all wrong. Messed the threads up bad... Typical right? Possible to rethread this aluminum? Should i just get a longer bolt and a steel lock nut? Man I knew this was going way to smoothly...

So way back when this above happened I put a thin coat of RTV red on the new gasket. I think the RTV may be cooking out. I now have this dark black sludge starting to drip slightly down from that seal. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. It is really thick stuff. Not a lot but it is there. Oh and I used longer bolts with nuts and lock washers due to the stripped hole.

Also I think there is a slight miss starting at idle. I'm slightly neurotic with engine sounds though. How best could I demonstrate this for you all to see? Video?

Also we have a high idle at cold start. Around 2K rpm.

Also something is going on with the Ebrake handle. When the button pops out at the end of the handle the light comes on. Yes I know how to work the handle. Could this be that I need to work the Ebrake handle to adjust the rears? I don't want to over do it but on first drive it was hanging down pretty low in the rear center. It is getting tighter (the cable in the rear center). I just don't want to over do it.

Theres more stuff then this to do but I'm just triaging I guess. Headlights, headliner, some interior, outer dews... We have about 120 miles on it so far. Momma has been driving it around town and to work. We know we have lots to do. Were very happy with the progress so far.

Thanks for reading! Any and all advise, comments, tips, gripes are welcome. Sorry if I ramble....Redbull

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 05-04-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
24,375 miles on the old girls odo now.

She is running like a champ!! She rides just like a new car. Tight, no slop in the steering, no squeaks or rattles, all the controls work and light up as per normal. It is truly a dream come true!!

Swapped in some newer working headlight motors courtesy of PaulJK here in the PFF mall. Now they are working great. TYVM Paul!!

We have some issues with both doors. The passenger side being the worse of the two. The front, hinge edge catches and we get that clunking as it rubs on the front fender. Also the passenger door skin is catching on the sail panel and ripping the skin. I would post a pic but Momma just took her to work. Anyway I need to somehow adjust the door. I'm kinda nervous about this task as I think it can be tedious to say the least.

Any tips on adjusting the doors would be greatly appreciated!! Momma wants to get her Grey Ghost ready for the end of summer car show here in Old Orchard Beach, Maine.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun Fourth of July!!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just updating this real quick....

Some may have seen the new outer dew wipes I made for the Grey Ghost

Super easy to do...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129107.html

Well today I found an alternate use for my new RD dew wipe tool! At the top of this page theres a pic that shows the missing door moulding behind the door handle. So I pulled the funky torxs and rubber screws along the back edge of the door to give some room, jammed a tool in between the skin and frame, and used the RD tool to install the one screw. Easy. A lot easier then taking the whole dang door apart for one screw!!

Looks much better now IMO.

Edit to add...Oh yeah she's got 24533 miles on her now

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 07-21-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Easy beans, I've done 2 now. Remove it, remove parts from it that are not the metal, sandpaper it and lay on a few coats of black engine paint, I used rustoleum. Remember to do the nuts too.
I was able to gently peel off the tech4 decal and reuse it. But they can be bought as well, or taped off.
http://fierosails.com/decal.html

Bumping this post so we can address this soon! TYVM for your post and the link 2.5! I'm going to go look up that decal now.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ung what a day. So Momma took the Ghost for some errands and had some issues. She did about a 25 mile trip. Stop and go traffic. Well the car started acting up. She said it was like it wasn't getting gas, it would sputter and she would floor it and then it would pick back up. After a few more minutes of drive time it died completely. She restarted it and it started right up and ran great for a few more minutes and died again. She pulled over and let it sit to maybe cool for a few minutes and it started right up and ran great. She limped it home.

Well we just went out to pull codes and got 22, 33, 34, 44.

Water in the gas?
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well we just went out to pull codes and got 22, 33, 34, 44.

Water in the gas?

First, look on the bright side....she was able to limp it home. So much more convenient than having to go to Michigan to get it with a trailer.

OK....lets look at the codes. 22 is TPS low. 33 and 34 are both MAP. 44 is O2 Lean. I think we can assume 44 is a symptom rather than a problem (in other words....O2 is reading accurately and you really are running lean).

Water in the gas? When did you last fill up? Possible I suppose...but unless you just filled up, I would probably look elsewhere. Really, I would be looking at that TPS sensor, including it's wiring...mainly because that is the only of those codes that CAN'T be a symptom. The throttle position is the ONLY thing that should affect that sensor...plus I can see where a faulty TPS could confuse the computer into throwing the other three codes if it is reading lower than it's actual position.
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First, look on the bright side....she was able to limp it home. So much more convenient than having to go to Michigan to get it with a trailer.

OK....lets look at the codes. 22 is TPS low. 33 and 34 are both MAP. 44 is O2 Lean. I think we can assume 44 is a symptom rather than a problem (in other words....O2 is reading accurately and you really are running lean).

Water in the gas? When did you last fill up? Possible I suppose...but unless you just filled up, I would probably look elsewhere. Really, I would be looking at that TPS sensor, including it's wiring...mainly because that is the only of those codes that CAN'T be a symptom. The throttle position is the ONLY thing that should affect that sensor...plus I can see where a faulty TPS could confuse the computer into throwing the other three codes if it is reading lower than it's actual position.

Yes good news she made it back to the house.

So how, if possible do we test the TPS? Also is it possible that I could pull it and hit it and the TB with carb cleaner it may come out of it?

TYVM for staying with us on this thread Cows. And TYVM for your help! Other then minor engine running issues mostly related to the emissions garbage the car runs great!

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will walk you through the generic steps of testing a TPS... http://auto-repair.yoexpert...sensor-has-3250.html
Of course....if it is intermittent, you know darn well it will be working perfectly when you test it.

Couple things to note...on the Fiero, the ground isn't the middle one like that article states...it is the black one on one side. The signal wire is the dark blue one in the middle. And here is the interesting thing that threw up red flags when I looked at the wiring diagram....the gray one is the 5v reference wire, AND IT IS SHARED WITH THE MAP SENSOR....so definitely check your voltages on that one.

As far as cleaning a TPS...I have heard of people drilling two holes in it, spraying electrical parts cleaner in one hole (forcing crud and cleaner out the other hole), then sealing the holes...but I have never done it myself.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TYVM Cows for the link. The info in it is about as layman as it can get. Good reading for me.

So Momma added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and she thinks the car is running better now. I think she just hasn't driven it far enough to know. I been too busy to try myself. So guess it's a wait and see situation for now as much as I hate so say it.

On another note the car has broken 25K! So we have about 1100 miles so far on the girl. I think we may be alright. I am worried about how it sat for all those years on the bearings. Hopefully we got lucky there. Another wait and see situation.

So we need to replace the headliner. We have a temporary replacement to add till we can find a good match material wise. We bought this headliner from a fellow Fiero addict I recently met. There are some finger marks from when someone pressed the liner onto the backing. It is a million times better then whats in the car now though. And it will be a great temporary headliner.

So any tips on getting the A-pillar interior trim off without breaking the tabs? We hopefully can get the temp in before the 20th Annual Old Orchard Beach Car Show. Momma is dying to park her car for the day and her first car show!
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice find!
When I did my headliner replacement, I found it really helpful to follow along with Buddy Craigg's videos:
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
and they go on for reinstallation...

His videos where made a while ago so the picture quality is low, but they are still very helpful and knows how to do it without breaking the headliner or interior pieces.

Good luck!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jschmidt95:

nice find!
When I did my headliner replacement, I found it really helpful to follow along with Buddy Craigg's videos:
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
and they go on for reinstallation...

His videos where made a while ago so the picture quality is low, but they are still very helpful and knows how to do it without breaking the headliner or interior pieces.

Good luck!

Yeah Buddy C's vids are awesome! BTW did he ever quit smoking like he always talks about in his vids?

I been daily driving this car to and from Portland every day. About a 30 minute trip each way. Some highway, some surface streets. All seems well (knock on wood). I swear if one more Dbag in a Chevy Cavalier asks me to race...

This car rides like a dream! We could not be happier at this point. Best $200 car purchase ever!!

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:Yeah Buddy C's vids are awesome! BTW did he ever quit smoking like he always talks about in his vids?

I'll quit smoking when I'm dead.

and thanks for the kind words.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update time...

After a long cold winter I am finally getting back to the Grey Ghost. She is still alive and well. 26679 miles on the odometer as of today and counting! Almost 2,000 miles on my rebuild. If I may call it that.

She rides like a new car in all aspects. No squeeks. No rattles. No wandering steering at highway speeds. No shakes. No shimmies. She truly is a "new" car still in ever sense of the word. Truly a remarkable ride. I honestly think it rides better then Momma's 08 Subaru Impreza. It's way smoother. Looks cooler and costs thousands less. Matter of fact it costs around $14,000 less. I am still in a state of disbelief at the price we paid for this sweet gem!

So anyway I finally got around to installing the "blue dingy thing". And it is a little wonky. This morning whilst driving at highway speeds the seatbelt light came on. It stayed on for a few miles. Then slowly started to go out. Weird. Almost like the "blue dingy thing" needed to warm up or stretch out or something. WTH?

I also need to adjust the Ebrake system. Something wonky is going on with the lever. I will have to report my findings and maybe do some digging. Hopefully the cable is just way loose or something.

Also I am considering selling the old girl. A coworker says not to because I will never find another new car so cheap. IDK...
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trouble in paradise...

She's sputtering out coming to and leaving stops. Idle is all over the place between 500 and 1200 ish. The needle is bouncing and you can feel the engine starving maybe? It sometimes even backfires. It feels like a bad injector. Honestly I never replaced the factory one.

I did the paperclip to pull codes and only thing that flashed was 12. No other codes. I wanna say this means there are no codes stored. This right?

So anyone have a good injector that will fit a 87 2.5L? Or know where to score one?

She's still running, just a little rough...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first thought is.............Bad Fuel.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock