3500 swap - take 2 by hookdonspeed
Started on: 08-09-2011 09:36 AM
Replies: 178 (6679 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 12-15-2013 09:13 PM
86 toy

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey hooked where and how did you mount your pcm? Do you have any pics?
IP: Logged
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's one of the ones that Ryan has listed on gmtuners.com, they are the same SVC NO as the 3800 PCMs

How to wire up a 1999-up 3100 or 3400 V6 OBD-2 PCM using a 4T65-E transmission into your Fiero

Works with PCM service numbers:

http://www.gmtuners.com/files/index.htm

They can be mounted like this

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/114267.html

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-24-2011).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the same boat trying to figure out motor mounts, I'm using a stock fiero 2.8 front mount, some kind of mount near the back of the engine (rear left of the car) and probably a torque-strut with an over limit strap.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well maybe neophile_17 and i can get together soon and figure out a mount solution... when we do, pics will be posted

right now im looking into exhaust, and asfor the ecu mounting, right now, ive made a birdsnest of the wiring and am VERY unhappy with what i did (was so pissed about having to replace the engine i kinda just cut alot of wires when tookout the old engine :/

its gona be temp mounted behind the driver seat, then ima get a new harness and either mount it properly behind the center console, or move it to the engine bay where the battery is and move the battery to the front.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna start my mounts tomorrow...
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built a mount off of that axle mounting location on the block but its not a dogbone style mount it solid mounted at the cradle and bushing at the engine block..it turned out so well im considering building one off the other side where the ac compressor bolts to the block and eliminate the factory front mount all together..that would give the drivetrain 4 mounts (one in each corner) plus I could cut the factory mount off of the cradle so I don't have to run exhaust around it..
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 toy:

I built a mount off of that axle mounting location on the block but its not a dogbone style mount it solid mounted at the cradle and bushing at the engine block..it turned out so well im considering building one off the other side where the ac compressor bolts to the block and eliminate the factory front mount all together..that would give the drivetrain 4 mounts (one in each corner) plus I could cut the factory mount off of the cradle so I don't have to run exhaust around it..

id still be worried that would allow the engine to flex under hard accels, etc.
neophile_17

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neophile_17Send a Private Message to neophile_17Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep meaning to look at how to do this but spacing. SS brake lines are going in tonight so I'll check it out. Do you have access to a welder? I can use the one at work but that requires everything bolt on so I can remove-weld-replace. What are you thinking for exhaust? That could affect things.

~sam
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by neophile_17:

I keep meaning to look at how to do this but spacing. SS brake lines are going in tonight so I'll check it out. Do you have access to a welder? I can use the one at work but that requires everything bolt on so I can remove-weld-replace. What are you thinking for exhaust? That could affect things.

~sam

me exhaust isnt going to go near that area tilln extyear when i get boost.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

me exhaust isnt going to go near that area tilln extyear when i get boost.

^^^ thats what you get when i post early morning before i get my coffee
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i sware i have a black cloud over my head when it comes to this car... just went to work on it, and a new part i had gotten seems to be defective, will post more info soon after i hear back from the vendor, but being who it is, i dont expect there to be a problem, just irks me that everytime i get time, i run into SOMETHINIG, unexpected...
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rodney got back to me, as i figured, no problems. was a very odd issue, the new clutch line repair was leaking threw the braids in the line O.o

guess it was just a bad piece of rubber inside or something, never seen that happen on new line before. exterior looks fine.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates?
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not yet, just puton the replacement clutch line repair i got, and came in to get my laptop to upload the new ecu file from darth. waiting for friend to be free to help me bleed the clutch line...

and still on the search for the shift linkage clips that noone seems to have a source on... wtf?!
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll go dig through my boxes of parts later and see if i can come up with shift cable clips.. what ones are you looking for ?

Edit: nevermind I just found your post on witch ones you were looking for :-)

[This message has been edited by 86 toy (edited 10-02-2011).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 toy:

i'll go dig through my boxes of parts later and see if i can come up with shift cable clips.. what ones are you looking for ?

the ones where the shift cables meet the trans, they hold the cables into the bracket
86 toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 toySend a Private Message to 86 toyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry no luck on the clips..I thought for sure I would have had some

------------------
--Mark--
87 GT soon to be 3400 SFI OBD2

Mytime

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MytimeSend a Private Message to MytimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I can take a look in my pile-o-stuff and see if I have some of those clips for you. I'll take a look this evening.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mytime:

Hey, I can take a look in my pile-o-stuff and see if I have some of those clips for you. I'll take a look this evening.

sweet, please! as u can see, aparently NOONE has these clips anymore??? O.o
if ya dont looks like ima have to fab something up... :/

<< this guy hate fab work :X
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check the local yards next time I'm out there, you need the trans side or the shifter side? the little "U" clips right?
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I'll check the local yards next time I'm out there, you need the trans side or the shifter side? the little "U" clips right?

trans side, yep. ima try and make it to the yards myself this weekend, but the 2 local ones havent had any fieros as of late
PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just realized this weekend that my "power steering delete" pulley was rubbing up against the deck lid torsion bar (heard the vibrations once I actually got the muffler hooked up) so I'm curious if yours does the same, I just notched that torsion bar a bit but I'm not sure about it with the engine rocking back and forth.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

I just realized this weekend that my "power steering delete" pulley was rubbing up against the deck lid torsion bar (heard the vibrations once I actually got the muffler hooked up) so I'm curious if yours does the same, I just notched that torsion bar a bit but I'm not sure about it with the engine rocking back and forth.

dont think so? ill look when i get a chance.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nope, i dont have a "Delete" pulley tho, i have the stock 3500 drive pulley at top..

so, i noticed the other day that my throttle was only opening 32%, so today i modified the bracket some.. i flattened it out to just befroe the spot the cable mounts into, then bent it right there, reads 82% on the tps now, ima pickup a pack of cable stops http://www.amazon.com/Dorma...-clamp/dp/B000COCPZM and see if i cant claim that last 20% back.

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nope, i dont have a "Delete" pulley tho, i have the stock 3500 drive pulley at top..

Curious if you could measure your pulley diameter? I put the "delete" in quotes because my engine didn't have that pulley when I picked it up and was mailed one that would work (I also think the Equinox has EHPS like whatever you got your 3500 from?)
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curious if you could measure your pulley diameter? I put the "delete" in quotes because my engine didn't have that pulley when I picked it up and was mailed one that would work (I also think the Equinox has EHPS like whatever you got your 3500 from?)

ill get mesurements and take a few pics for ya tomorrow,
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ick, just revisited my thread, ill get that measurement for you tomorrow, totally forgot!! only done minor little things... bleed the clutch, put the cable stop on the throttlecable, put the clips on the trans shift linkage... nothing fun, i havent been getting home from work till after dark, and spending the weekends with the kids, hopefully ill get some time soon.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"dogbone" update.

after welding it together to make sure i cut it to the proper length, using the egr valve "blockoff" plate as the one side mount

about 1/4" thick piece of rubber (cut from an exhaust hanger strap) its epoxied to the arm assembly i made, and just "rest" againts the back wall, had to pull the engine forward to fir it in w/ the rubber on, so its nice and snug, i plan on drilling boltholes threw it, but for now, this seems to work rather well figuring the engines torque pushes twards that wall... bolts may not be required, we will see..
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as you don't down shift.

Too rigid of a mount might create too much stress on the mounts and/or the dog bone.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-05-2011).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

As long as you don't down shift.

meh, damn you and your "logic"....
guess ill be pulling out the drill tomorrow
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a good location relative to the origin of the anti torque but in addition to it being too rigid you also don't want anything attached to your manifold producing that kind of load as it could lead to a manifold leak particularly an internal one that allows oil into the intake manifold at the lower plenum and cylinder head gasket.

I tried a rigid mount like that before at the stock location and down shifting was not much of a problem at all as the flywheel weight helps limit how fast the engine decels, on the other hand the transmission of engine vibrations to the frame of the car was another story. Get some rubber or poly at both ends.
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i plan on eventually changing it to the type w/ a dogbone (see related thread where i was asking for measurements), but for now this will do me so i can get some driving under it, makesureits all working right, when i get the time, i wana do a setup like WCF offers for the 3800 swaps, bolts to the drivers side of the read head, then over to the firewall.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008
so much for that idea... weld broke, lol... guess i was never cutout to be a welder *smh*
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008

so much for that idea... weld broke, lol... guess i was never cutout to be a welder *smh*

new rear brakes are on, just gota do the front now, do something bout that torquestrut and take it for a test drive...
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
new mount all cut and mocked up, just need to weld and paint it, and drill holes into the back wall to mount the mount.

ryan just sent me notice, my re-programed ecu is on its way back to me...
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
torque strut done, and i like it :P

almost got the flanges finished for the 3500 manifolds, looked at a ton of "universal" flanges, none seem to lineup well enough that i wanted to use them, so im cutting my own from 1/4" sheet steel (same thing i made that bracket from), 3 bolt holes are marked and drilled, basic outside shape is cutout, actual hole for the exhaust pipe still needs to be cut, had to pickup the right size holesaw for metal.

went to move the car and well, hit some problems, clutch slave cyl bracket broke....

new master / slave cyl + spec clutch > 25year old aluminum bracket. :/ ordered a replacement from rodney, hopefully it gets here before thanksgiving.

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Torque strut looks good! Too bad it won't work for my application because of my Trueleo headers.

Bummer on your slave bracket. I had a similar issue but I broke off piece of the holes where the shift linkage mount, luckily they still hold in place with the clips...

You're so close, you better get to drive it before it snows.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Torque strut looks good! Too bad it won't work for my application because of my Trueleo headers.

Bummer on your slave bracket. I had a similar issue but I broke off piece of the holes where the shift linkage mount, luckily they still hold in place with the clips...

You're so close, you better get to drive it before it snows.

all the hard stuff is done.. exhaust flanges will be done soon, just need to drill 2 holes, then get exhaust done, the bracket broke when i was gona take it down the street to see how it drove, figures right?

you could probably do something similar, just would need to come straight up, then over the headers?

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 11-21-2011).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya I'll look more into it this winter. It probably could come straight up, but I do still want to use the poly dog bone I bought from Rodney so we'll see what happens.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
new slave cyl bracket installed, as usual rodney made another perfect product....

flashed ecu installed, and now im getting 2 codes i wasnt with the base 3400 tune :/ voltage low to the TPS and MAP, ill have to check the wires and makesure everythigns good, i dont see what coulda changed tho.. + side the egr / evap / trans codes are gone

im having an issue getting the air outa the system tho, heres what ive been doing... i have a thermostat fill after the t-stat going to the drivers side tube, i open the rad, fill the rad till its full and put the cap back on, fill the back coolant fill port till its full, put the cap back on, then i have a fill point in the heater line coming from the tstat housing to the heater core, i fill from that point with both bleed valves open (one of the tstat neck and one on the coolant "Tree") and close them assoon as coolant starts coming out, cap the system and start the car...

all seems fine, car warms up, t-stat opens, then like 2-3 min later the cap on the rear will "pop" and a ton of steam comes pouring out the vent tube on it, anyone have any ideas?!

im thinking maybe i need to drill a small hole in the t-stat to allow better bleeding?!?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock