Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 SC'rs, how often do you change your spark plugs?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 SC'rs, how often do you change your spark plugs? by americasfuture2k
Started on: 06-26-2011 06:29 PM
Replies: 15 (1639 views)
Last post by: sco77 on 08-28-2013 04:58 PM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just looking at the frontside of my motor and started to think it looks like a PITA to change the spark plugs. And even more difficult with my coil on plug bracket. I've never owned a boosted motor, so I'm not too sure.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very easy from under the car !
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet so. How often would you need to change them tho?
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are easy to change, much, MUCH easier than the 2.8l. You should only need to changed them every 100,000 miles if you use OEM plugs. 20,000 miles if you use the cheaper copper ones.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

1fatcat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True. 100,000 miles IF you use platinum tip plugs. 30,000 miles if you use copper core plugs. The platinum tip plugs are usually about 3 times the price of copper core, but you don't need to change them as often. Make sure your ignition system is capable of using platinum plugs. They demand more from the coil(s). The 3800 (series 2 and 3) are capable of running platinum. The 2.5 and 2.8...not so capable.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

They are easy to change, much, MUCH easier than the 2.8l. You should only need to changed them every 100,000 miles if you use OEM plugs. 20,000 miles if you use the cheaper copper ones.

What he said...I changed my 104s to 103s after about 12K when I dropped pullies....The 104s still looked good after 12K of semi hard miles.....
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a note: Platinum plugs are not recommended for 3800SC's that have been modified with a larger pulley and or higher boost than stock. Standard Autolite 103's or 104's should do . They should last 20K miles. If you insist on using platinum plugs, they will increase KR's and may prove harmful.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Just a note: Platinum plugs are not recommended for 3800SC's that have been modified with a larger pulley [......] If you insist on using platinum plugs, they will increase KR's and may prove harmful.

Who mods to a larger pulley anyway? I used to go about 15k on my 104s. I change the 103s once I went turbo every 10k. They're cheap and I run it rich. For the 'typical' 3800sc swap, 3.4 pulley, etc, I'd run about 15-20k on a set of 104s. (or just change them once every spring)
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, sorry misread your post...miseed the word "often" .............

They dont need changed often if you use good plugs, avoid platinum though. My AC's have been great, I do clean them every other oil change and check gaps, just cuz they arre so easy to get at !
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheap Autolite copper plugs didn't last 6000 miles in my Turbo 3800 before I started getting misfires. I switched to Denso Iridium IT-22's about 5 years ago and have not had one problem since, so I haven't changed them.

The stock Delco 41-101 Iridium plugs that come in the 3800 Series 2 and 3 engines are pretty hot (heat range); usually too hot of a heat range if you plan on installing/doing any mods. Autolite just started making their own line of Iridium plugs not too long ago that are about 1/2 the price of the Denso's I'm using now, and you can get them in colder heat ranges than stock.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-27-2011).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Who mods to a larger pulley anyway? I used to go about 15k on my 104s. I change the 103s once I went turbo every 10k. They're cheap and I run it rich. For the 'typical' 3800sc swap, 3.4 pulley, etc, I'd run about 15-20k on a set of 104s. (or just change them once every spring)

I could get easily 60k out of 104s on a simple setup with a good non 10:1 tune that most run.
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paying 3 times the price to change plugs less often sounds worth it to me.

Using some Denso Iridium IT-22's sounds like it would be the best choice for me. But I will be running a smaller pulley than stock, the N* tb, and pacesetters on the sc3. Those will work fine, correct? I would like to avoid changing my plugs often with this Coil On Plug setup I'm building. Removing the bracket and boot will be a tad difficult on the front side when the motor is in the car.
DonP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Cheap Autolite copper plugs didn't last 6000 miles in my Turbo 3800 before I started getting misfires. I switched to Denso Iridium IT-22's about 5 years ago and have not had one problem since, so I haven't changed them.

The stock Delco 41-101 Iridium plugs that come in the 3800 Series 2 and 3 engines are pretty hot (heat range); usually too hot of a heat range if you plan on installing/doing any mods. Autolite just started making their own line of Iridium plugs not too long ago that are about 1/2 the price of the Denso's I'm using now, and you can get them in colder heat ranges than stock.

-ryan

I'm going to be running a stock series 1 supercharged engine in a couple Lemons races. That means two 7-hour days on a given weekend. I've looked at your chart at gmtuners, which plug should work best with long,sustained high RPM use? Thanks.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changing plugs from the top wasnt a problem for me.
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Changing plugs from the top wasnt a problem for me.

Same here. When I was diagnosing ignition problems I got It down to about 10 mins to change them all out.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my other 3800 car I have been changing copper plugs every year which turns out to be about 15k-20k miles, at that point the gap is about .004~ larger than where it was originally, so I wouldn't take it any further.. On my 3800 Fiero I plan to change it yearly as well, even though that might only be 2-4k miles.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock