Bolt size for clutch to flywheel 3800 by RULOOKIN
Started on: 02-14-2011 11:54 PM
Replies: 8 (928 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 05-23-2014 08:20 PM
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
need to know what size the bolts are to fasten the clutch to the flywheel for a 3800 i have the steel camero flywheel, I would like to get new grade 9 bolts size???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GM Shane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever get an answer to this? I need to know as well.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106812.html https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/097824.html

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 03-27-2011).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just ordered part number 234-1001 (x3) from summit to button my FW up. other disaster stories i read on here from not using the right bolt type scared me. dont wanna have a bad end result like i saw from most of these other guys.
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

i just ordered part number 234-1001 (x3) from summit to button my FW up. other disaster stories i read on here from not using the right bolt type scared me. dont wanna have a bad end result like i saw from most of these other guys.

After this amount of time, did the bolts work out for you. Summit's a couple blocks away, and this would be a convenient solution. What torque specs did you use?

Don
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an FYI for everyone, I ordered the ARP 234-1001 kit (3 sets of 3) after calling ARP. Tech support at ARP recommends between 26 and 26 FT/Lbs with red locktite.

hope this helps!
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For mounting a manual transmission flywheel to the crankshaft on a 3800 Series 2 or 3 engine, you need 8x GM p/n 24505092 flywheel bolts. Torque to 11 ft/lbs + 50 deg turn.

The ARP Tech we talked to about the ARP bolts said they were NOT designed for 3800 flywheel to crankshaft mounting duty and he could not recommend them as such; further stating they weren't even as strong as the factory Grade L9 bolts GM sells for this application.

For clutch pressure plate to flywheel mounting, you'll need six 8mm x 1.25 grade 10.9 metric bolts (20mm length should be what you need - just make sure the bolts don't protrude out the other side of the flywheel where they can rub or hit the engine block).

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 05-22-2014).]

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

For mounting a manual transmission flywheel to the crankshaft on a 3800 Series 2 or 3 engine, you need 8x GM p/n 24505092 flywheel bolts. Torque to 11 ft/lbs + 50 deg turn.

The ARP Tech we talked to about the ARP bolts said they were NOT designed for 3800 flywheel to crankshaft mounting duty and he could not recommend them as such; further stating they weren't even as strong as the factory Grade L9 bolts GM sells for this application.

For clutch pressure plate to flywheel mounting, you'll need six 8mm x 1.25 grade 10.9 metric bolts (20mm length should be what you need - just make sure the bolts don't protrude out the other side of the flywheel where they can rub or hit the engine block).

-ryan

That's not what the ARP tech told me, he assured me the ARP 234-1001 would be up to the task.

I agree that given the option, I would prefer the GM bolts designed for this purpose. However, some of us are having interference problems. There was confusion over the actual torque values, I called ARP and posted my findings to help others in the same situation.

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

That's not what the ARP tech told me, he assured me the ARP 234-1001 would be up to the task.

I agree that given the option, I would prefer the GM bolts designed for this purpose. However, some of us are having interference problems. There was confusion over the actual torque values, I called ARP and posted my findings to help others in the same situation.

Is the company ARP itself, willing to guarantee that statement and fix any failures and damages that are the result of using the 234-1001 bolts for this task if they fail?

My problem is one day we talk to one tech at ARP that says under no circumstances that the ARP bolts made for a SBC cam sprocket should ever be used to hold a flywheel onto the crank of a 3800. And another day you talk to a different tech that says it is ok. Who do we believe?

I've never had a problem with interference with the GM flywheel bolts. Anyone that has is either trying to use mix-matched parts, incorrectly installing the clutch disc, or is trying to use unproven clutch components with the 3800. I've installed at least half a dozen 3800 SC engines into Fieros that had manual transmissions and never had an issue with OE GM flywheel to crank bolts breaking or interfering with the clutch disc or any clutch component.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 05-23-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock