Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  True dual exhaust is it possible ??? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
True dual exhaust is it possible ??? by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 01-11-2011 11:09 PM
Replies: 193 (6183 views)
Last post by: Hairold on 07-19-2013 01:00 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible to make a true dual exhaust on the fiero I'll do whatever is possible to make it happen a buddy told me to cut out the trunk well to give more space for the exhaust pipes I plan on using the stock exhaust for the right side so pretty much just gotta make a custom bends for the left side. I got 2 summit glasspacks that plan on using for the build for dirt cheap they have a 2 inch in diameter and a 2 in outer diameter also got a cat delete pipe.

[This message has been edited by pontiacfierokid1985 (edited 01-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh...having 2 completely different exhaust setups for each header isn't good.

There is absolutely no reason to have true duals in your Fiero IMO...make sure your engine will actually benefit first. True duals are almost always a good thing, but seldom enough of a good thing to be worth doing.

If you have a stock engine, then there really is no need whatsoever, and it might actually HURT performance.

Back when I meddled in software development, I commented several times that "You could probably install Linux on a blender, but that doesn't mean there's any reason to install Linux on a blender."

Now, if you have a boosted engine, a high revving V8, or some other monstrosity in your engine bay, it might (Emphasis on might) be worth it.

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 01-11-2011).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard of a few people on here having a True Dual exhaust setup in their Fiero. I can't seem to find the links to them though.
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it is a stock 2.8 at the moment I'm just waiting for the clutch to burn completely out then that's when I'm gonna do my 3800 sc swap but I wanted to put a true dual on that setup if it is even possible cause I know that the 3800 is alot bigger an all looks like a really tight fit an all but I know it can be done the 3800 swap at least lol
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are no "true dual exhaust" anymore. Not since they discovered that putting a cross pipe in the middle of the system gives better performance.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiacfierokid1985:

Well it is a stock 2.8 at the moment I'm just waiting for the clutch to burn completely out then that's when I'm gonna do my 3800 sc swap but I wanted to put a true dual on that setup if it is even possible cause I know that the 3800 is alot bigger an all looks like a really tight fit an all but I know it can be done the 3800 swap at least lol

No reason to do duals on a 2.8l or 3800SC.

Duals are becoming synomous with cold air intakes for HP increase, seems like. My uncle is paying about 600 bucks to have duals put on his 93 Prelude with a Vtec, is convinced he's going to "pick up 30 ponies". He also thinks that duals on a 4 cylinder are a good idea though, so don't listen to him
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's my 2 cents!

I have built a couple different exhausts for a 3800 SC Fiero. The first was a very free flowing 3" system. Although it was not a Dual setup, it flowed very well - in fact too well. Now if you were building a 3800 SC with a lot of boost (smallest pulley) and had a bunch of mods to the heads, cam, intake, etc. Or a big turbo then yes - you would want it to flow. With the mild mods we have on this one though, it actually benefited by chokng it down a little. The latest setup is directly from the factory manifold dump into a stock Fiero 2.8 muffler then out to the standard dual tips. WIth the setup we gained noticable bottom end grunt and have seriously yet to find the top end of the car due to the car getting unstable at around 127 mph via a GPS unit. The 2.8 will not benifit from anything more than stock. The only gain would be sound? Maybe? It might sound worse. In fact I would bet you would loose some performance. Plus the cost to do it is a waste. Money better spent on other things.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could see an improvement for the stock 2.8 since it does not need a cross pipe to scavenge and equalize uneven pulses if the piping were correctly sized

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 01-12-2011).]

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I could see an improvement for the stock 2.8 since it does not need a cross pipe to scavenge and equalize uneven pulses if the piping were correctly sized

I doubt that you will any improvement over stock with duals,; whereas the exhaust eyetem from the down pipe aft id not a problem. The headers and Y pipe are another story altogether. The stock setup is an awful design from ever aspect aside from how it looks and the fact that it is low enough to fit under near any hood GM cared to stuff it, and therein lies the reason to why it sucks.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did allot of research into v6 exhaust design, and I found out that any sequentially timed 6 cylinder engine needs the primary pipes equal length. It then needs a collector which is 15x the swept area of a cylinder. In effect, the engines will run best with 32-36" pipes, and no further exhaust. The scavenging is the most important element so you need anywhere from a 1.25" pipe to a 1.5" pipe.

For this reason, Francis T is correct. past the headers it doesn't really matter what you have once you've achieved the 15x formula.

I wanted true duals and I have them on the car. (34x1.5" mandrel) I have not dyno'd them yet but I can tell you that the low end torque is enhanced and the engine wants to pull well past 6,000 rpm. I don't have the gonads to see what it can really do because the engine is worn. When the new motor goes in, it will go to the dyno with the headers.

The biggest problem with true duals is the lack of space on the rear bank. I did not want to cut the trunk and I ended up using 3" shorty mufflers as collectors into Spintech 12"x7" mufflers that Spintech fabricated up for me.

If you were willing to cut the trunk, I think a 2-inlet 2-outlet Magnaflow under the trunk would do the job really well.

Remember that 30+" primaries are really loud. Unbelievably loud. Neighbourhood trouble loud. You have to suppress them very well or pick up the heat for them.

Here are my duals

Arn
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One year at the Fiero Factory swap meet there was a Fiero with a V8 (SBC) and true dual exhaust. It sounded really sweet to stand behind it while it was idling. True stereo exhaust sound.
PFF
System Bot
Asterix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsterixClick Here to visit Asterix's HomePageSend a Private Message to AsterixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

There are no "true dual exhaust" anymore. Not since they discovered that putting a cross pipe in the middle of the system gives better performance.

Maybe on a odd fire V8, but even fire engines will not benefit from a crossover, as the pulses are already balanced.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's kind of a shame, because once the two banks are connected (using a cross-pipe), the exhaust system just doesn't sound as good anymore.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's kind of a shame, because once the two banks are connected (using a cross-pipe), the exhaust system just doesn't sound as good anymore.

even fire motors won't benefit from a crossover pipe.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

No reason to do duals on a 2.8l or 3800SC.

Duals are becoming synomous with cold air intakes for HP increase, seems like. My uncle is paying about 600 bucks to have duals put on his 93 Prelude with a Vtec, is convinced he's going to "pick up 30 ponies". He also thinks that duals on a 4 cylinder are a good idea though, so don't listen to him

True dual VTec what??

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project now tearing up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels, suspension and more! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's my dual catalyzed dual exhaust for a V8.

No trunk cutting required.

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I did allot of research into v6 exhaust design, and I found out that any sequentially timed 6 cylinder engine needs the primary pipes equal length. It then needs a collector which is 15x the swept area of a cylinder. In effect, the engines will run best with 32-36" pipes, and no further exhaust. The scavenging is the most important element so you need anywhere from a 1.25" pipe to a 1.5" pipe.

Arn

What research led you to this conclusion?

Originally posted by ericjon262:

even fire motors won't benefit from a crossover pipe.

If used at a specific location to deliberately change the impedance of the system (IE, at the ends of the collectors), I don't see why an X-pipe *wouldn't* benefit an engine with even-fire banks.

------------------
I may have a green bar, but I'm not a nice guy.
Deal with it and I'll give you good info.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO, it is highly debatable whether or not a true dual exhaust will produce much or any benefit on a V6 engine. If all the pipes are correctly sized the effort and cost will probably not be worth the return.
Let me re-phrase this. True dual exhaust in a Fiero is possible but no one has proven that it is any better than a quality properly sized single pipe system.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-09-2012).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

IMO, it is highly debatable whether or not a true dual exhaust will produce much or any benefit on a V6 engine. If all the pipes are correctly sized the effort and cost will probably not be worth the return.

Debate is mostly irrelevant without test data.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Here's my dual catalyzed dual exhaust for a V8.

No trunk cutting required.

If used at a specific location to deliberately change the impedance of the system (IE, at the ends of the collectors), I don't see why an X-pipe *wouldn't* benefit an engine with even-fire banks.

what your describing sounds more like a so called "exhaust termination box". I don't really lump those into the same category as a crossover pipe, as the don't really do the same thing, a crossover is typically installed on a V8 to allow crowding (pressure buildups) to share the opposite bank's pipe. this crowding occurs when cylinders 5+7 and 4+8 on a SBC fire (firing order 18436572) because they are on the same bank multiple pulses arrive at a closer interval than on a even fire motor like the stock V6. on the stock V6, the firing takes place bank to bank at even intervals, so there is no crowding, and thus no need for a crossover or balance pipe.

Originally posted by Will:

Debate is mostly irrelevant without test data.

This is also very true.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

what your describing sounds more like a so called "exhaust termination box". I don't really lump those into the same category as a crossover pipe, as the don't really do the same thing, a crossover is typically installed on a V8 to allow crowding (pressure buildups) to share the opposite bank's pipe. this crowding occurs when cylinders 5+7 and 4+8 on a SBC fire (firing order 18436572) because they are on the same bank multiple pulses arrive at a closer interval than on a even fire motor like the stock V6. on the stock V6, the firing takes place bank to bank at even intervals, so there is no crowding, and thus no need for a crossover or balance pipe.

In order to do its job, a collector needs to have a specific length. The features that define that length are the merge point of the tubes and something at the other end which provides a change of impedance to cause the pressure pulses to reflect back up the collector and primaries. The collector being open to the atmosphere does this. The collector dumping into a large enough enclosed volume ("termination box") also does it. I've been wondering if the impedance transition associated with an X or merge pipe would be enough to assure that the collector works correctly.

"crowding" isn't what requires the termination box, but crowding *does* affect the diameter of collector that works best... A V8 will work best with a certain collector size with per-bank headers, but will work best with a smaller collector with 180 degree headers, because the collectors don't have to deal with the sequential cylinders on each bank.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-09-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well to answer the op question yes it can be done. joesfiero on the forum has true duels in hif 3800sc swap. i know JimmyS new build car is going to have them too. now whether or not they are worth it i have no idea.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2012 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
only reason they have duals and a crossover be it an "H" or an "X" is space.. not many cars can house a 3.5"-4" pipe under the car.. true duals with no crossover sound sweet.. no changing that..
but from a power standpoint.. a single pipe that got an ideal crosssection is better than duals allmost every time..

oh and a 3-4" pipe is mighty loud

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 11-09-2012).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you really want true duals on a 60degV6, then basically what you want is this: http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/...er/article?mid=10217
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2012 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
only reason they have duals and a crossover be it an "H" or an "X" is space.. not many cars can house a 3.5"-4" pipe under the car.. true duals with no crossover sound sweet.. no changing that..
but from a power standpoint.. a single pipe that got an ideal crosssection is better than duals allmost every time..

oh and a 3-4" pipe is mighty loud

That is nonsense. The reason the new Vettes have the X pipe is because they don't have 180 degree headers, because of space. It has nothing to do with 3.5-4" pipe; especially at the length the exhaust is. Having too large a diameter of exhaust pipe is just as bad as having too small an exhaust pipe, and in some cases, actually worse. Too large a pipe won't be able to maintain the exhaust temp and pressures all the way down the line, which are needed to properly evacuate the gases.

An optimal exhaust set up will be tuned to match the demands of the engine based on RPM range, camshaft design, heads, and firing pulses. Putting bigger pipes on isn't always a good idea.
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yup, my Corvette has an X pipe, I can't say that I know anyone with a C5 or C6 with dual exhaust, there is certainly room for dual, after all, the exhaust is dual everywhere EXCEPT the X pipe

[This message has been edited by ZaraSpOOk (edited 11-10-2012).]

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have true duels on my 4.9, when i pulle dthe engine from the eldorado it never had a crossover to begin with so i ws left with little choice (as at the time i didnt know they have one) so i made duel exhaust and what a pain in the butt. trying to fit the pipe under the oil pan on the passenger side and then getting the pipe to fit with the muffler just behind the trunk on the drivers side..... if i had to id never do it that way again.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Having too large a diameter of exhaust pipe is just as bad as having too small an exhaust pipe, and in some cases, actually worse. Too large a pipe won't be able to maintain the exhaust temp and pressures all the way down the line, which are needed to properly evacuate the gases.

This only applies up to the end of the collector... If the collector is properly terminated, then the only thing the rest of the exhaust has to do is not restrict the outflow from the termination, be it box, X-pipe or something else.

ZR1 and ZO6 Corvettes use the same cat-back exhaust, despite a difference of 140 HP...

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mostly correct. What matters is the length of the primaries to the collector. In a v6 sequential engine the primaries should be equal length, not longer than 36". The collector is another story. There are a number of types. Essentially though, the v6 would operate just fine without a tail pipe, collector or resonator, provided those primaries were correct. So the point is to make sure that when the gases hit the collector, there is no impediment for the gases to exit. Generally though, you need to keep the gases hot, because hot gases move faster than cold, and, you need to ensure the pulses don't slow down. So there is good cause to consider the tail pipe side well. I totally agree a single can be as efficient as true duals. My problem was designing a Y system using 32" primaries. It was to big a headache for me so I just went to true duals.

Arn
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well designed, correctly sized collectors are always beneficial.

The whole point of terminating the colectors is to decouple the rest of the system to allow the collectors to work optimally. which means as if they were dumping to open air.
Downstream of the termination, there shouldn't enough pulse or velocity energy to be worth worrying about, as the whole point of the header system is to use as much of the exhaust energy as possible to scavenge and kick start the pulse/velocity system on the intake side.
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here what I made up for my 4.9 Swap a number of years ago. I reused most of the Stock Exhaust Pipe for the firewall side. Just picked up 2" pips and U's for what I was short. I started out with about 1 foot of the stock caddy pipes with the O2 bungs in place already, Those are not glasspacks but Performance Mufflers from Jones Exhaust that happen to look like glasspacks. Enjoy the Pic's

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the only reason why you might want true duals is for the sound. I would be willing to bet that it would actually sound pretty cool... but probably not worth the cost. I've always liked true duals because each-side sounds a little bit different... the "burble" is off-synch between the two, and it "sounds" cool. Even with an H-pipe, I've been able to see a difference between the various sides (like on my Crown Victoria).
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

I think the only reason why you might want true duals is for the sound. I would be willing to bet that it would actually sound pretty cool... but probably not worth the cost. I've always liked true duals because each-side sounds a little bit different... the "burble" is off-synch between the two, and it "sounds" cool. Even with an H-pipe, I've been able to see a difference between the various sides (like on my Crown Victoria).

Well 2 pipes of correct diameter will flow better then one. With the 4.9 I felt that running the Stock 2.8 pipes for each bank would be good Plus at the time I got both mufflers for the same cost as a Flowmaster 70 or 80 that most people run. I loved the sound and will be duplicating this set up on my current swap :P

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

Well 2 pipes of correct diameter will flow better then one. With the 4.9 I felt that running the Stock 2.8 pipes for each bank would be good Plus at the time I got both mufflers for the same cost as a Flowmaster 70 or 80 that most people run. I loved the sound and will be duplicating this set up on my current swap :P

Well, I really just meant in terms of a stock Fiero V6. I think duals on a lot of cars make perfect sense. But there was a lot of posts above saying it would be a waste, so I was simply saying that if he'd want it still, it would be because of the sound... love the sound. There's definitely nothing wrong with having great sound!!! heheh...

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, I really just meant in terms of a stock Fiero V6. I think duals on a lot of cars make perfect sense. But there was a lot of posts above saying it would be a waste, so I was simply saying that if he'd want it still, it would be because of the sound... love the sound. There's definitely nothing wrong with having great sound!!! heheh...

But you're not going to get the same sound as that Lamborghini, by just dumping each bank out of a separate pipe, with a 2.8 V6. There's a big difference between a low-displacement, high-revving V12, than there is with the far inferior Fiero 2.8. And that Lambo doesn't just have a pipe hanging off each bank either. Here's a picture of the monstrosity of an exhaust system, installed in that Countach you posted the video of:

Getting that sort of sound out of a Fiero 2.8 is a lot more work than simply dumping each bank out through totally separate pipes.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the only reason why you might want true duals is for the sound.

True dual exhaust + lumpy cam = Heaven. (At least with a V8.)

I've always been curious what the 2.8 in a Fiero would sound like with a free flowing true dual exhaust.

But you're not going to get the same sound as that Lamborghini...

IMO, that's a plus... as I don't like how they sound at all. Reminds me of jet turbine noise.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-03-2013).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But you're not going to get the same sound as that Lamborghini, by just dumping each bank out of a separate pipe, with a 2.8 V6. There's a big difference between a low-displacement, high-revving V12, than there is with the far inferior Fiero 2.8. And that Lambo doesn't just have a pipe hanging off each bank either. Here's a picture of the monstrosity of an exhaust system, installed in that Countach you posted the video of:

Getting that sort of sound out of a Fiero 2.8 is a lot more work than simply dumping each bank out through totally separate pipes.

I love you man... but I'm pretty sure I wasn't suggesting anywhere that a Fiero 2.8 would produce that kind of sound with dual exhuast.

Maybe this would have been a better video to link to, in order to show enthusiasm for exhuast sound:

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. don't forget about the 02 senser. It has to read both banks
2. nothing you do with the exhaust will make it sound like a v8
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe this would have been a better video to link to...

Nah, that sucks as well.

IMO, the engine needs to be under load to get a proper idea of what the exhaust system actually sounds like.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Nah, that sucks as well.

IMO, the engine needs to be under load to get a proper idea of what the exhaust system actually sounds like.

There's actually another video of the same car as it's driving away, and you're right... it sounds totally different... VERY cool. It really brings out the harmonics that the 60 degree is capable of.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock