Jaybeezi's 3800SC Swap by jaybeezi
Started on: 06-27-2010 05:30 AM
Replies: 74 (3812 views)
Last post by: Fierostarvin on 03-09-2015 04:58 PM
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been collecting parts & putting things together, decided it was time to make a build thread. (edit: I've gone through & added things, some pics might be out of order.)

This is my 4th Fiero, it's an 87 GT. I saw it sitting outside for a year on one of my routes at work, left a note on it, & a week later I drove it home for $1200.

Makes a ticking sound above 2k rpm, but I bought the car to do the swap so I didn't really care, & the rest of the car is in great shape.

My 86 2M6 I had to sell to start this project, gonna miss it. (had 235's on the stock 14's lol, I loved it.)

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 10-20-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rims are different one side to the other...
Good luck on the build

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

jsketcham

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great , good candidate for the swap... Keep up posted on the progress.
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Rims are different one side to the other...
Good luck on the build

Hah, yeah I bought it like that, but I'm putting different wheels on it anyway.
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Got the engine & trans from RUNDLC here on PFF.

3800SC & 4T65E-HD from a 98 Bonneville SSEi with 67k miles. (The dates are wrong on the camera)

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 06-27-2010).]

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
The wheels I'm planning on using, for now. 3 piece 16x8 Veilside Andrew V's

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Swapping in an 88 cradle at the same time. Got it from Toddster here on PFF.

Painted the cradle (and then it sat outside for bit..) & ended up getting the rest of the 88 suspension at a Pick n' Pull an hour away from me. (Thanks to Toddster for letting me know that it was there.) Still need to get the sway bar & brackets.

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
My photoshop of what the car might look like, will probably have different rims when it's all said & done.

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
I need to get the Engine to Transmission bolts / bellhousing bolts. Can I get them at the dealership?

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
When I took off the tensioner bracket with the coolant lines, part of it broke off in the water pump housing... I plan on putting freeze plugs in this opening and the LIM opening & going off the other water pump housing port & either using the Fiero thermostat housing, or something like a corvette surge tank that a couple of members here have done. ( like this https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/068188-4.html#p128 )

Anyway, I can't put the freeze plug in to that water pump housing with that piece broken off inside of it, any ideas on how to get it out without breaking the housing?

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 06-27-2010).]

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can get it out with a small saw, make a few cuts, or take a sharp flat head screwdriver and carefully break it up with hammer.
PFF
System Bot
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK thanks I'll give that a try.

Fuel Pump.

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the fresh Cast Aluminum look

During:

After:

The transmission:

Jonviviano

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonvivianoSend a Private Message to JonvivianoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what the wheels on the left side came off of? i like them!
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering the same thing.

SSAC Headers.

RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonviviano:

Does anyone know what the wheels on the left side came off of? i like them!

Chevy Beretta. Not sure of the year. But I do remember seeing them on those cars.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are going to love the headers.
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

You are going to love the headers.

From a couple threads that I've seen it looks like I have to cut off the flex section & put a 90 degree in it's place. Is that always the case?

I'm having some fitment issues too, when one header is bolted to the head the other side won't sit against the other head, like the cross over is too long & if it were trimmed a bit it would fit better.

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 07-01-2010).]

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A pic of how they're fitting...

kuehjo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kuehjoSend a Private Message to kuehjoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the blower - is that media blasted or painted? If it's painted, what did you use?

Looking forward to watching your progress - hope not to be too far behind you...
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybeezi:
...I plan on putting freeze plugs in this opening and the LIM opening & going off the other water pump housing port & either using the Fiero thermostat housing, or something like a corvette surge tank that a couple of members here have done. ( like this https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/068188-4.html#p128 )

There are much smaller ones available too. Look at Saturns... I have one the Vette tanks but ended up not using it. It takes up a lot of space. I just used the factory 3800 water neck connected by a hose to the coolant rails. The stock thermostat housing (water neck) had a bleed screw in it to let any trapped air escape. Just get the car hot, crack the bleed screw and wait for liquid. Close the screw - done. That's why I didn't use the Vette tank...

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 08-25-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kuehjo:

Love the blower - is that media blasted or painted? If it's painted, what did you use?

Looking forward to watching your progress - hope not to be too far behind you...

Thanks, I like the way it turned out too.

http://contentinfo.autozone.../rso/248953/image/4/
RustOleum Cast Coat Aluminum
07Hoffmannd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 07HoffmanndSend a Private Message to 07HoffmanndEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i used dupli-color aluminum engine enamel from 0rielly's. its the same thing.

looks good. keep it comin. plannin on doin anything special?
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

There are much smaller ones available too. Look at Saturns... I have one the Vette tanks but ended up not using it. It takes up a lot of space. I just used the factory 3800 water neck connected by a hose to the coolant rails. The stock thermostat housing (water neck) had a bleed screw in it to let any trapped air escape. Just get the car hot, crack the bleed screw and wait for liquid. Close the screw - done. That's why I didn't use the Vette tank...

Interesting... I'll have to check that out.

May be moving soon, trying to everything settled before I put more $ into the project. Thought about selling everything, but I haven't been able to do it. Been wanting to build up a Fiero since I had one when I was 17, we'll see...
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stuff.

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
More stuff.

Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

Both mocked up & going where the stock rally gauges go.

FieroX / FTW Motorsports swap mounts

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Adj. Coilovers

Threaded 7" sleeves & adj collar from A-1 Racing
10" 325lb Stance Coilover Springs
Fiero Addiction 88' Conversion Strut Mounts.
KYB Struts

Installing poly in the cleaned up 88 control arms

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Lookin good cleaned up with headers & a 3.4 pulley.

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Built my Low Alt. Mount bracket similar to Ohio86SE's
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...-2-071510-2.html#p52
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...-2-071510-3.html#p81

& using the tensioner that a lot of people have used, AZ part #305217 for a 95 Ford Windstar 3.8.
http://www.autozone.com/aut...entifier=353967_0_0_

Mounted the lower alternator ear to the block using 2 nuts & 3 washers to get .835" as shown in the 2nd link above from Ohio86SE. Then used a zip tie & 2 bolts to get the upper ear in place (2.38" as shown in the 1st link above from Ohio86SE. The zip tie works really well here, lets you adjust 1 click at a time until it's perfect.

Low alt. mount done, still have to clean it up, welds aren't too bad for a cheap flux core welder..

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 10-19-2012).]

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Cut down the dog bone mount & fit the tensioner.

I know it's not as strong now, getting the thing together & in the car, if it breaks down the road I'll figure something else out. I may do something like Dementia did here. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/078934.html#p31

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 10-19-2012).]

jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Wasn't happy with the way that low alt mount looked, so I made something a little different.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

PFF
System Bot
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
November issue of Popular Hot Rodding...

(The story isn't exactly what I wrote to PHR, the est. 1/4 mile time with a Turbo & the car color are off)
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will probably start in the mid 12s and push into low 11s with turbo.
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting back into this again...

Was going to order http://www.zzperformance.co...php?id=341&catid=111
'716 - Bonneville SSEi with a 3.4" pulley'

Was told I have a motor from a 98 Bonneville SSEi, but just wanted to verify that this belt will work before I order.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nope, you have a gtp/gs tensioner setup.
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if that means it wasn't from a Bonneville... cause I didn't put it on there.

Anyway, so this '658 - GTP/GS/SS supercharged with 3.2 - 3.5" pulley (66 3/8" - 1687mm)' would be the belt I need then correct? Any advantage to getting the bigger tensioner pulley & using the stock size belt? Like being able to buy them locally at auto parts stores.

Or would I just be able to use any 6 rib belt once I had the measurement?
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you have to cut the crossover on the header to get it to fit??
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 658 belt should be 65.8" at least thats what I was always told. I had the 658 belt on my car with the 3.4 pulley and it did just fine but when I dropped down to a 3.2 pulley it was just too long so I dropped down to a 650 belt and that solved it.

As far as I know you should be able to go to any parts store and pick up almost any size belt you could ever need. For me I went down to the local autozone and they let me try a couple belts before I bought one.

-Joe
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierostarvin:

Did you have to cut the crossover on the header to get it to fit??

I moved on to other parts of the project & haven't actually gotten that situation straightened out yet... I am going to be looking at it again soon though, I saw that someone else, I think on one of the Grand Prix forums, cut out some of the piping in the middle of the crossover & added a flex section. I may do that since there is a lot of binding going on, it would probably reduce the chances of cracking the thinner gauge headers...

Don't know if i'd like the way it would look though.
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybeezi

428 posts
Member since Mar 2009

Originally posted by joesfiero:

A 658 belt should be 65.8" at least thats what I was always told. I had the 658 belt on my car with the 3.4 pulley and it did just fine but when I dropped down to a 3.2 pulley it was just too long so I dropped down to a 650 belt and that solved it.

As far as I know you should be able to go to any parts store and pick up almost any size belt you could ever need. For me I went down to the local autozone and they let me try a couple belts before I bought one.

-Joe

Awesome, I'm going to hit up autozone & see what I can find, thanks.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock