Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  We probably all have worn Sep Belts on our cars. Interesting ! Get a free gauge.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
We probably all have worn Sep Belts on our cars. Interesting ! Get a free gauge. by Dodgerunner
Started on: 05-16-2010 08:26 PM
Replies: 29 (1230 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 12-13-2013 02:38 PM
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check it out. Order a feel gauge on the right side of the page. You just lay it in the groove and run your finger across the belt. If the gauge is not above the ribs the belt is worn out.
Wonder how worn the pulleys are?

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 05-16-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DougC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this is just a sneaky self advertisement for your tensioner kit... And if it wasn't, it now is.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! that hurts.

You try to do a good thing for for everyone and you get you foot stepped on...

LOL !

Just was reading a magazine and ran across it and thought it was interesting. Didn't know these new belts where even out.
I ordered one. With 7 cars with sep belts and high miles they are all probably worn.

starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found out that Gates is one of only a couple or three manufacturers that make their belts in the US. I ordered mine though Checkers and paid nearly twice what the Chinese belts cost but hopefully they will wear better.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DougC:

I think this is just a sneaky self advertisement for your tensioner kit... And if it wasn't, it now is.

I don't understand that at all. The article had nothing to do with tensioners, or tensioners wearing the belts out. It was about belts being worn and the operator not knowing. So to say DR was advertising his belt tensioner is a load of crap.

Allow me to thank you DR, as I didn't know manufacturers changed the belt composition before, so this was a great public service announcement. I have a gauge on the way.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe he was just having some fun so take it easy on him.

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

I believe he was just having some fun so talk it easy on him.

Then he should put a damned winky in his post.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never put my winkie in a post
thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, got mine on the way as well. Not only will it come in handy for my cars at home, but I'll be using this at work as well.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I got it coming...

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Wonder how worn the pulleys are?

Some are very bad... Some not... No easy way to measure it that I've seen.

On L4 Fiero...
Charge crack pulley to a Harmonic Balancer. Slows/stops some kind of vibration in crack and give you a new pulley.
New or very good rebuild alt get new pulley. AC clutch is same.
Water pump... I don't know if you can buy new. Try gm dealer, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool.. Any tool that can help us keep our little obsessions going is good with me.. Especially the FREE kind.. hehe.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Gates Gauge...

Nice for free.

Dayco also has a gauge too. Go to http://www.daycow.com/
Better gauge and also free. More Gauges are a good thing...
Dayco has a video online that tells you how to use it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good information guy, thanks.

I have both the gauges on the way.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received one six months ago from Gates.
Don't remember having asked anybody for this .
Never used it yet .
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just placed my order now i gotta wait so i can check my belt
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know my belts need replacing (originals). But hey, THANKS, I have a couple coming and they will come in handy for the other cars!!
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my Gates gauge a few months ago and have not used it yet. But my belt is also brand new.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Gates one is easy to use with one hand and on car... Good thing since I have one hand... See doc Gates provided.

Dayco one is good for some front engine and bench test. Look like it can be hard to use it on fiero engines.

I ordered Dayco one. should be here in 2 week to a month...

Want I wish... Free pulley gauge. So I can tell if pulley is bad.

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-25-2010).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my Dayco one today... Not bad since there was a 3 holidays. Stamp for 1st class postage.
It came in a #10 envelope. Ouch. USP machine hates that. Don't be surprise if they get lost in the mail. Mine came with some envelope damage but OK otherwise.

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Gates gauge arrived today. I guess I will check all of the belts on my vehicles tonight, lol.

No sign of the Dayco gauge yet.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They must ship them in batches. Mine showed up from Gates today as well.

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my Dayco ones a few days ago. They sent me two.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good tip and I ordered two so I can give one to a friend but they only work on belts made from EDPM. Are EDPM belts available for 2.8's in Fieros?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update....
Gates has a free Apple app that says can show wear of belt using a picture of belt in question.
(I don't use an apple phone...)

Sharpen your Accessory Belt Drive System (ABDS) diagnostic skills with Gates new Parts Image Capture (PIC) Gauge Belt Wear App. The first-of-its-kind smartphone App delivers accurate measurement and evaluation of automotive and heavy-duty K-section serpentine belt wear.

Using state-of-the-art digital imaging technology in concert with industry-standard specifications for serpentine belts, the PIC Gauge utilizes a photograph taken with the smartphone's built-in camera, which is then analyzed by patent-pending software to determine the degree of rib wear detected.

PIC Gauge allows you to:
• Quickly perform important maintenance inspections for your customers.
• Show customers the degree of belt wear detected, educating them as to why a belt replacement is being recommended.
• Be confident in your recommendations.

As part of good ABDS maintenance practice, technicians are encouraged to also replace the tensioner when replacing a serpentine belt to ensure optimum system performance.

Download PIC Gauge for free from Apple's App StoreSM. For more information or to access training materials and special offers visit GatesBeltWear.com.

fireojay86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fireojay86Send a Private Message to fireojay86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With gates belt, the gauge is the only way to tell how much wear the is, until it breaks. The wont crack like the old belts so you can never see failure coming. You should be able to get the gauge at you parts store. We had a counter display full of them.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update
App and Gauge from Gates are still free.
www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/beltwear

DAYCO® aWEARNESS Gauge has move the page...
www.daycoproducts.com/dayco®-awearness-gauge
Was free but don't know.
Video page (last update was 6/10) says yes but ask Dayco.
Video @ youtube

Review:
I find the Gates gauge is much easier to use on the car. Hole goes on tip of ring finger then you can feel the gauge area to pass/fail the belt w/o seeing.
Dayco Gauge is good when testing used belts on the bench. That can save good ones and junk bad ones. No guessing needed.

After watching PIC 2.0 videos... The apps won't help Most owners. For one, Gates recommend that the belt removal is needed. Is a good for shops replacing parts that needs belt off. A good shop hates to put a bad belt back on... many times ends return call, bad review on a blog/list, etc.

Notes:
Download and read Dayco Training book at http://www.daycoproducts.co...ng-certification#/2/
Covers belt/pulley alignment and more. Book is 10 pages.

Another Dayco video shows Krikit tension gauge and Laser alignment tool.
krikit gauge has 2 versions... 1 for V belts, 1 for Serpents. Both under $30
That tool stops over/under tension for V6 Fiero. Both will cause belt wear and noise.
Google: krikit gauge
Amazon has both under Goodyear and Gates brands <$20 each

The kit w/ 3 aWEARNESS Gauges, 1 Krikit 2, 1 laser and case, Dayco # 93874, is at advanceautoparts.com $100.99
http://shop.advanceautopart...ool-dayco_10030803-p

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-01-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

I've never put my winkie in a post

Sometimes my winkie is like a post
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Belt tension... For use with Krikit tool etc.
Note that a belt is "used" after engine runs a few seconds.

2.5 VIN R
New, alt 145lb, AC 165lb
Used, alt 70lb, AC 80lb

2.8 VIN 9
New, alt 145lb, AC 145lb
Used, alt 70lb, AC 70lb
Source: 86FSM but apply to all engine w/ manual belt tension. (Last page in Engine Cooling section)

V6 uses small Krikit tool because its test range, 30-150lb, even tho Dayco says V belt.
Tool is rated 7/8(0.875)in wide belt. V6 belt is ~11/16(0.68)in wide.

Sorry, GM gives No data for 87 and later 2.5 VIN R.
See my Cave, Serpent Belt for VIN R belt tensioner.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

DAYCO® aWEARNESS Gauge has move the page...
www.daycoproducts.com/dayco®-awearness-gauge
Was free but don't know.

Dayco Gauge is good when testing used belts on the bench. That can save good ones and junk bad ones. No guessing needed.

For a free aWEARness Gauge, please contact us at dayco.aftermarket@dayco.com

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I ordered one. I'd + you if I hadn't done it already

Arn

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock