Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Longitudinal BMW V12 in a Stock Fiero Engine Compartment - 25th Anniversary Countach (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Longitudinal BMW V12 in a Stock Fiero Engine Compartment - 25th Anniversary Countach by 88lambo
Started on: 04-11-2010 01:54 AM
Replies: 312 (59916 views)
Last post by: Will on 09-03-2021 03:12 PM
88lambo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am building a 25th Anniversary Countach replica on an 1988 Fiero Chassis. The Replica i Bought was designed around a
Fiero chassis stretched 5" in the passenger compartment, this is good for me since I am 6'-4" tall, it give me more room to
lean the seat back. Since the stretch was done in the passenger compartment the engine area is stock size...

Back Ground Information

In October 2008 I picked up a 25th Anniversary Lamborghini Countach replica, and a month later I bought a
1988 Fiero (2.5L 5 Speed) for the base of the kit. The Fiero only had 76000Km on it and I got it really cheap.
When I went of inspect the car if was raining really hard and I was very hard to see underneath. I looked in the
major rust areas (Canadian car and we put lots of salt on the roads during the winters…) and found a bit of
rust but nothing major, so I bought it. I was told the car was stored for 7 years in a barn, and the car looked clean.
Over the next few weeks I stripped the Fiero to the bare chassis. This is when I got a bit of a surprise, the front
half of the car looked almost new, very little rust, the back rear passenger side had a bit of surface rust and a
hole near the battery tray. BUT the rear driver side had a football sized hole in the floor under the seat, the sheet
metal around the fuel filler tube area was really rusty and at the back of the wheel well. I figure the car must have
sat on a wet spot in the barn for so many years and caused this damage.
The hole in the floor didn’t concern me since I was going to cut it out and drop the pan 2” anyway (I’m 6’-4” tall).

Stretching the Chassis

The kit I bought was designed to fit on a Fiero that is stretched in the passenger compartment, which is different than
the more common engine compartment stretch. I like this idea, because it is a lot simpler and gives you a lot more
passenger room. The only place that you would notice the difference is the rear window is at about a 45° angle rather than vertical.
To do my stretch I put the Fiero up on stands, then I made a cart (I used steel casters so there was no roller compression)
and slid it under the front suspension frame members. I levelled the car, using jacks supporting the rear half of the car and
the cart supporting the front. Next I bought 2” x 2” x 0.10 wall and 1.75” x 1.75” x 0.10” wall square tubing. I made a telescoping
tube that over lapped by 4 feet. Since there was only 0.05” play over the 4’ overlap I wasn’t too concerned with alignment.
I also drilled 3/8” holes at 5” centers (5” being the length of the stretch) thru the telescoping tube assembly then welded them
into the door frames. Next I cut the chassis across just in front of the shifter, then I pulled the front half until the holes in the
telescoping tubes lined up and slid a 3/8” steel rod thru. This worked really well, the chassis stayed aligned.
I then dropped the body on and tacked in the body support structure. The body is now removed and I will be adding more structure to the chassis
then it will be stripped and sand blasted and painted.
I have now turned my attention to the engine/transmission...

Engine Choice

Since the 1988 Fiero I bought had a 2.5L engine I had planned to replace it with a 3.8L Supercharged GM Engine to give the
Countach kit more performance (having a less than 100Hp motor in a Countach replica isn’t right). I found an engine that was
just pulled for a Pontiac GTP that had blown the transmission, I was able to get the engine, harness and ECU at a really god price.
I started doing research of how the swap is done and collecting ECU pin out info, and sourcing and pricing for items used in the swap.
During my search on the web for Fiero engine swap information I came across a BMW V12 mated to a Audi FWD transaxle
swap into a Diablo Replica, this caught my attention because; 1) the engine is all aluminium (almost the same weight as the 3.8L V6)
, 2) the engine looks similar to a Lamborghini V12 (in the Diablo) and 3) it’s a V12… and I was surprised to find that these engines were
fairly inexpensive and very durable. (you can buy a whole early 90’s BMW 750 V12 for under $2000 strip the engine out and sell the
remaining parts and make more than you spent on the car back)
The only problem is that the BMW V12 is put into a Diablo Replica which has an 11” stretch in the engine compartment (and even at that it’s a tight fit)
and since I did my stretch in the passenger compartment I had a stock Fiero engine compartment. There is NO way I was going to fit a V12 in there…or was there…
After a little more research I found some people putting V8 engine longitudinally into stock Fiero chassis using a
Cadillac 425THM, 325THM or 325-4L Auto transmission, see Link Below
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/SBCLa.html
After reading this information I decided to do some more research on the reversed installation method mention at the bottom.
This seems more logical way of doing the swap, most of your weight is in front of the axle, your belts and accessories (alternator, starter, AC compressor…)
are all facing the rear so you have easier access to them, and the orientation is similar to the real Countach.
Before I went out to buy an engine I wanted to make sure that I could make it work, my biggest issue was with this
transmission/differential setup the left hand axle has to go under the engine. When the GM V8 engines are used the
oil pan is notched to allow the axle to pass under. The problem with the BMW engine is the block is lower the GM block,
I knew that I would defiantly have to go thru the oil pan but I wasn’t sure if it would clear the bottom of the engine block.
I found some drawing on the web showing the V12 engine, using these drawings I was able to make my own scale using
a known dimension and have in access to a 325THM transmission I was able to figure that the axle would just clear the
block…with this info I decided to buy a V12 engine and proceed further.

Issues mating the V12 to the 325THM Transmission

Q1) Can the transmission be mated to the V12?
A1) Yes, you have to make a spacer from a V12 Bell Housing (so you adapter plate clears the water cooling jacket above the flywheel),
make an adapter plate, a spacer and a triangular plate to attach the flywheel to the torque converter.

Q2) will the drive shaft clear the block?
A2) Yes, you have to make a adaptor plate/spacer to rotate the differential 180° and space it out to pass under the Main Bolts (or the crank will hit the axle shaft)

Q3) Do you have to modify the engine?
A3) Yes, you have to cut some material off on the left side of the block and oil pan to allow the transmission to fit in. you will also have to machine a hole thru the oil pan and weld in a tube to pass the axle thru.

Q4) Do you have to modify the Transmission?
A4) Yes, you have to remove a couple of tabs off the differential to allow the short axle to fit the opposite side and to clear the oil pan. You also have to make a coupler to bridge the gap created by the transmission to differential space/adapter.

Q5) What is the weight distribution of this set up
A5) I am estimating with the transmission and 50% of the engine in front of the axle that the weight distribution will be a about 80% in front of the axle
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I will be the first to say, WOW!

What a project. Best wishes for its completion. I am sure there will be a lot of interest in it.

Regards,

David
michfiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michfieroSend a Private Message to michfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the fourm. Wish I could help with your questions...for my Countach project I stayed with the non-stretch, Fiero engine. This was my first project like this so I didn't want to get in over my head.

Congrats on the work so far...looks great!

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, now this could be fun
whlcome to the forum and I will say this don't give up I want to see one of these v12's on the road one day.
D.
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've heard "Go Big or Go Home" time and time again, but this here on so many levels this takes the cake.

Very cool

--Allen

------------------
Is this where I insert something witty?

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88lambo,
you should move this thread over to the construction zone, that's where I plan to post mine, I'm also building Countach. Maybe Cliff, who owns & runs the forum would move it for you. Sweet project you have going, that V-12 is going to be awesome!
John
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe you can start a thread there. I think your thread has to be deemed worthy, then moved by Cliff
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are certifiably insane, cool bit insane

A couple of questions.

Are you gong to add additional strengthening/reinforcement to that stretch. It looks like the only real strength there is the telescoping box section. Have you considered putting some box section into the rockers as well and maybe some 'real thick' plate along the tunnel walls, otherwise what's top really stop the frame from bending. Seems to me that this is a lot like doing a soft top. Archie has posted some stuff in the past on what he does to strengthen a frame when removing the top and he goes overboard to reinforce it to prevent flexing.

The axle is going' through' the oil pan via a tube?
Won't the rise and drop of the suspension cause it to bind in the tube? or are you limiting the movement somehow?

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:
The axle is going' through' the oil pan via a tube?
Won't the rise and drop of the suspension cause it to bind in the tube? or are you limiting the movement somehow?

The axle that goes thru the oil pan on a TH325/425 setup is really an extension axle and it rides in a bearing mounted on the other side of the engine. It also has a flange that the CV axle attaches to.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEEEEET!!!

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Too bad you've decided to put in an automatic, but other than that, what a great project!
88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, going to stiffen up chassis

axle is supported on a bearing attached to the other side of the block and half shaft bolted to it

auto sucks i agree but to fit this into a stock engine compartment, unless you go completley nuts and put a manual tranny with a v-drive unit in, but the whole tunnel would be filled and diff would sit under engine pushing it up quite high.

i will be building the tranny and adding a shift kit with a racing ratchet shifter (simular to a triptonic)

i do have an crazy idea that may work by modifying the 5 speed Fiero tranny but i'll do that later with the one in the car, i just want to get the car on the road...
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread... don't spill all the beans at once though and then leave us for months languishing in suspense wondering "Is he dead?" "Was it all just photoshopped?" "Did the Italian mafia frown on his imposter?" You [i]should[i/] show us some pictures of that diff spacer if you have some before it was installed, and tell us what you have planned for an exhaust system... with a longitudinal layout, you should be able to come up with something really nice.
25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ohh cool,
I really need to start a build thread too...I made the mistake of mislabeling my original thread about what transmission to use in my 89 Lambo replica...We have something in common on these builds, both doing V12's and both are building 89 style cars..Sweet..looks like you have lots of experience on this kinda thing too...I'll be watching this thread...I can probably help in sourcing parts you may require for your build( Countach wise anyway)

Will

formally Wbnemo1 on Pennocks
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, definitely on the wish list of someday swaps! What a huge project that is. Can't wait to read / see more on it.
25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sure would like to see some more build pics on this...
Will
88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry i will be posting more photos. the Transmission is mounted to the engine right now so i can get a location for my tube to go thru the oil pan, which i actually just finish doing. i will be taking it to work along with the axle (i am adding a 2.25 in section to the axle so it clears the block) to be welded together. I will take photos tomorrow.
once i have completed the pan and axle and bolted everything together for the final check i will be taking it all a part to have the transmission rebuilt. I will take photos of all the bits aligned on the floor so you can get an idea of how everything goes together...

Don't worry about me not finishing it, I always finish my stuff, here is a list of major projects i ave completed

1) 1978 - Motorized go-cart with Suziki 185TS Dirt bike engine (5 Speed) - 14 years old
2) 1987 - 2 years to Designed and Built a 17' 115HP speed boat (still use it every summer)
3) 1994 - 2 years restoring and 1971 Opel GT (Sold it Last summer)
4) 2004 - 4 years building and Lotus 7 Replica from scratch just with basic frame plans, all steel tube frame and aluminum body (No Fiberglass)
5) 2008 - Lambo drivable chassis fall 2010 spring 2011 latest, finished summer 2012

For people using the BMW V12 Getting the engine to run on BMW ECU's can be a Pain!!!, check out www.choiceautowiring.com he makes a EMS using GM components and ECU's. He has done quite a few V12 Diablo's

25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
while looking at your pics of the kit , I noticed parts aren't there. Do you have all the parts you need for your build, body wise?

Will
88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All body parts, hinges, lights I have real style tail lights, latches, lambo dash and gauge pod, lambo fiberglass seat pans (not sure if i will use these or go with Mr Mikes Fiero Leather covers), emblems

I am using older bmw headlights assemblies, they line up perfectly with the lambo light pods i have.

I don't have the inner door structure so if you have any photos or drawings i would appreciate it. i would like operating windows, does yours have them?

Oh btw i am a mechanical designer and i have made drawings of most on the pieces i have made. i plan on making a illustrated V12 installation instruction booklet (i use make maunals for military vehicles 15 years ago, our company had a slow period so they sent me to the publication division which i eventually headed up for a bit...thank god i have been back in design for the last 10 years, i didn't find writing publications exciting...)
25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for the roll down windows , I had a guy in England make me steel frames. He's the only guy so far that has made a curved version, which was a must for my build, I also sourced curved glass from Pilkington Automotive Glass UK. I was able to get both my windscreen as well as all remaining glass from there. For my BMW V12 build I have the Audi 5000s 5 speed transmission, shifter kit ( Mike Orlando) for the trans, custom made adapter plate to mate up the trans and the M70, a custom made flywheel with pilot bushing/bearing, and finally a clutch and clutch plate. I have a friend name Mark that has a genuine 89 Countach that has helped me immensely on reference and photos. I've taken many photos of his car, even helped him with parts as well. So the name of the game is to get the cars on the road, I just have to make mine as oem as possible as Mark wants me to show it next to his at shows, so if you take a look at my old thread you will see some of the parts I've collected to get it there. Anyway I can help , just let me know

Will
PFF
System Bot
25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never got my paid for seat shells snicker snicker..... I'm gonna go with modded seats from a fiero as well and have Mr Mikes do the proper cover for it..Any idea of who made your kit? how authentic are you going for on your build?

Will
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice bit of work !

You won't regret the auto trans, with all that engine behind it. I finally got my LT!/325 pumping just right, and it's all you can do to hold on

By all means share more pics, and if you do get a manual with drawings we can take to the machine shop, it would be greatly appreciated.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Will

the kit came from a companey in Toronto, Ontario, Canada...15 or so years ago these guys made 12-15 turnkeys and sold them, in 1997 the owner shut down the company but one of the employees bought a kit from him to build for his grandson, well he never did anything with it and it sat in his sisters garage for 11 years. He claims they pulled the molds from a real Countach, but who knows. it looks accurate, but a bit wider than what the Lambo specs say...the only major difference is since the kit was designed to be stretched in the passenger compartment the rear window is at a 45° angel rather than vertical. too hide this they went with an older style engine cover (dome style with a horizontal grill and another small grill near the trunk) I would like to get rid of the rear bumper, i never liked it (See photo below). so if anyone has a older style countach kit and are willing to pull molds of the lower section where the 25th anniversary bumper should be, let me know

Will, how are you going to get the V12 with the audi transaxle into the car, isn't that package to long for the countach? it barely fits the Diablo with a 11" stretch. are putting the axles at an angle? or cutting part of the firewall????

25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy,
short answer is that I want the firewall closer to where the Countach's should be, behind the door sill. This will move the firewall forward considerably. the Engine is 29.5, the trans is 26.5, and the adapter plate is 1.375 so approx 57.375" long total. Building an 89 version also gives us a bonus in that the 89 has a rear valance that sticks out further than the older model and with the addition of the 89 lower bumper , this combination should conceal the trans end...I've been told it's doable...and there's this

Will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apIxp8Lh98w

http://www.choiceautowiring.com/bmw%20video.AVI Boy,talk about a inspiration

[This message has been edited by 25thCountach (edited 04-12-2010).]

88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Will

I would check carefully on your dimensions. This is what i get...i could be wrong

engine is 29.5 long, adapter plate 1.375" from adapter plate to center line of transmission axle flange is Approximately 8"-12" - totaling 38.875" to 42.875"

From Firewall of Fiero to centerline of axle is 20" add 5" for the 25th anniversary stretch = 25" See sketch. if you take 38.875" - 25" = 13.875" is distance to move firewall forward...???

are you planing to move the footwell forward also? i know the Countach footwell goes up beside the wheel a bit.

look at my photo that shows the chassis structure, the bent tubes that go from the rockers to the roof actually go right behind the door sill, it's quite a bit forward of the rear firewall...

88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88lambo

158 posts
Member since Apr 2010
More Photos

Ok you have to remember that the front of the engine is actually going to be facing the rear of the car...

Photo one is the short axle mounted to the differential where it should be (passenger side)

This is the drive shaft that goes thru the oil pan into the differential, i am extending it 2.25"...Before you guys say anything about cutting a hardened axle and welding in a piece of round bar, let me explaing what this is...
yes the axle is hardened steel, so is the spacer AISI C-1045 High Strength Precision Ground Steel Shafting, good to 100,000 PSI tensile strength. also i am getting the armor guys at work to weld it, where i work we make steel armor kits for military vehicles and our welders have to weld the hardened steel with special mig wire so it doesn't loose its hardness or strength

Next 2 photos are of what the axle on the opposite side will look like, the axle shown is for the opposite side I don't have this one made yet. I won't know its proper length until i get the engine onto the cradle.

Notice the carrier bearing the supports this side of the axle (thats the next thing i'm doing drilling holes in the support plate bolted to the engine block (try to find it )

Tube thru oil pan

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88lambo:

Hey Will

I would check carefully on your dimensions. This is what i get...i could be wrong

engine is 29.5 long, adapter plate 1.375" from adapter plate to center line of transmission axle flange is Approximately 8"-12" - totaling 38.875" to 42.875"

..I suppose this would depend on the kit and where the stretch is - I have seen kits where the stretch is behind the firewall, as such that would give you more room for an engine.

BTW - nice work so far, I wish I had the skill (and ambition) to do something like this. However, once it is done and you are bored with it, I would probably be glad to take it off your hands.
88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think my calulations are wrong, the v12/audi fits into the Diablo with an 11" stretch in the engine compartment, so if the countach is only a 5" stretch then you would only need to find 6" OOPs Sorry....i didn't mean to scare you Will

as for selling it, not for a long time...But my Lotus 7 is for sale...see photo above

John

25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol,
got me worried, though I measured three times, can't hurt to check one more time lol...oh, the stretch is definitely behind the firewall on this one...

Will

[This message has been edited by 25thCountach (edited 04-13-2010).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88lambo:

More Photos

Ok you have to remember that the front of the engine is actually going to be facing the rear of the car...

Photo one is the short axle mounted to the differential where it should be (passenger side)

Is the tricycle in case all else fails?

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it doesn't fit in the car, he's going to build a monster trike!

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its a tow vehicle for the engine my three year old daughter gets a good work out...

My next v12 project... http://www.youtube.com/watc...IBeI&feature=related
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
question:

this will require a stretch on a stock fiero right??? that spacer/flipper is pretty thick... that is why i am asking.
88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Storage guy called (a month early again this year, sheesh ) wants the Lotus 7 out saturday, i have very little room in the garage, I really need a work shop
its hard to convince my wife that we need to spend 25G's on a work shop for my toys...next tatic, Her "getaway"/Spa in Loft above the workshop
25thCountach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 25thCountachSend a Private Message to 25thCountachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta go see the bottom of my thread 88lambo, I finally got my door glass and just checked it to the frames....sure looks the part!.

Will

[This message has been edited by 25thCountach (edited 04-13-2010).]

88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

this will require a stretch on a stock fiero right??? that spacer/flipper is pretty thick... that is why i am asking.

engine compartment is stock, i did the 5" stretch for the countach wheelbase in the passenger compartment.

yes spacer is 3" thick but i have a 1.25" spacer on the end of the engine to get the 1" thick adapter plate to clear the coolant water jacket (2.25" total) going the opposite direction.
I added the diff spacer 1) to put the axle under the Main Bolts to clear the crank 2) to put more weight in front of the axles.
The back of the engine should be about 2" away from the tube at the top of the firewall. i will have to modify the passenger side lower firewall a little to get the back of the transmission in...

I overlaid the engine onto the chassis, this is what i believe it will look like installed...

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work on your V-12 install so far, back in the day (late '80's) when I ran the shop at Exotic Dream Machines, we built a Countach with a sbc and a TH325 set in the car reversed like your doing and the car worked very well.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG !
that is such an incredible combo !
while im not a fan of replica cars... i am a FAN of swaps and "outside the box" concepts
and fabrication ideas

definitely bookmarking this build !

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B H3 turbo and a S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the support...

Took the oil pan to work last week, they couldn't weld the tube into it (cast aluminum is very porous and you just end up chasing cracks so they wouldn't even try) so after a bit of research i found a Epoxy/aluminum filler that can be submersed in oil/gas/diesel should be here Tuesday. I have to do a bit more cleaning of the oil pan...

I'm hoping to get the axle back sometime this week also, then i can finish up the carrier bearing mounting plate. Once this is done then i will take everything a part and have the tranny rebuilt. I also found a great tranny builder Locally, every "car" person i talked to gave me the same name, and he just happens to be the most reasonable priced builder also...

I sold my 3800SC engine yesterday, so i did some garage cleaning to make room for the Lotus...

Going to try to get the original cradle/engine/transmission out of the car in the next couple of weeks and start rust repair and cradle mods...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock