Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Who has installed this 3 core aluminium radiator? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who has installed this 3 core aluminium radiator? by 1MohrFiero
Started on: 03-10-2009 05:24 PM
Replies: 106 (9830 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 12-10-2013 11:50 PM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ca420 that is sweet! Great pics. Now for the build thread...
IP: Logged
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally ordered one for myself. I found another guy on eBay selling them for $189. He has one left now according to the add. It is the same radiator built by Champion. Looks like I have my spring time project planned.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My radiator came this morning. It looks great and I can't wait to install it. The eBay seller still has some left according to his add but he has raised the price to $199. Still a good buy. Shipping is not bad and it ships quick.

Here is a link to his ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We installed one of these radiators in a Fiero today.

First of all, when we got it we compared the size, the cores & the fit to the big radiator that I've been having made for several years.

We have not yet tested it extensively BUT I HAVE HIGH CONFIDENCE that it is at least equal to the radiators I've been having made for years.

This high confidence & the fact that this radiator is much cheaper than the ones I've been having made, means that this will become my recommended radiator for future swaps.

OK, here's what notes I have on the installation.

As I said, size, thickness & cores are very comparable to the rads I've been using for years.

We mounted the rad into the stock Fiero upper & lower mounts.

Here are the modifications we had to make.

In this pic. the rad is upside down to show that the rubber bumpers in the bottom & top Fiero brackets have to be modified just slightly.

The stock rubber is on the left, the corners need to be cut a little as in the rubber on the right.

Then you can put them right back into the stock locations....

Because the new radiator has a more squared off shape than the stock radiator, the top Fiero mounting bracket had to be opened up a little bit around that radiator cap area.....

Over on the drivers side the Fiero top mount is a bit tight on that corner but we did get it to m,ount without doing any cutting.

Also, please note that on the bottom Fiero rad mount, the corners are a bit tight but we didn't have to modify them.

Also, watch the bolts that hold on the condenser coil, they were a bit too long on our installation & we shortened them a little.

Also watch the bolts that hold the rad fan on to make sure they don't damage the core.

When installed, it looks pretty good.

I'm impressed.

Archie

------------------

Sig by Custom2M4

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Archie. Excellent write up. I will be using it as a guide when I install mine. I am excited to know it is close to the one you have been using all these years too. I think it means I have found a quality product and if I decide to upgrade to another engine I don't have to worry about this aspect. Great pictures too.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

This high confidence & the fact that this radiator is much cheaper than the ones I've been having made, means that this will become my recommended radiator for future swaps.

Archie,

Are you going to look into stocking this item?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Archie,

Are you going to look into stocking this item?

I'll be having at least a few of them in stock.

I used to order my radiators 12 at a time because ti took 3 to 4 weeks to get them because they were custom made.

I'll keep a few of the new ones in stock. And, Hopefully they will continue to be available on EBay.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 04-11-2009).]

ClayTonto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, is there any weight savings using the aluminum rad? Maybe you could do a comparison since you have access to all of the different ones.
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K. About the car above that Archie installed the radiator into. I have put some hard miles on it in 85 degree Georgia weather and can report it happily keeps my V8 below 200 degrees. Regarless of spirited driving or sitting at redlights all the way through town it stays pretty cool. It does fluctuate between 160 and 190 with a 160 thermostat and fan switch, but only gets to the higher temps under stoplight to stoplight sprints followed by sitting for a few moments. It never exceded 200 degrees during testing. I am probably going to swap to a 180 degree thermostat and fan switch to try and stabilize the temp around 185, which is where the engine and carb seem happiest. I will report with new info if it comes up.

------------------
87 GT Tilt Clip-Widebody-RamAir-Fastback-GlassHatch Powered by SBC 383 6-speed w/ NOS
Build Thread

"Roads?...Where we're going, we don't need roads." - Emmett "Doc" Brown

Dan_Seattle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan_SeattleSend a Private Message to Dan_SeattleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Really!

I'm up for one of those now.

You can never have too much available cooling or braking IMO.
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought one of these last night. I just hope I get it before the weekend.
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, thanks for letting us know about it Clay. I still haven't put mine in yet...to many honey-do projects around here. Maybe in the next few weeks. I have dropped a couple of hints that I need some gaarage time. It is probably partly my fault too because I have added enough other little "oh by the way" things to this project that the car will be down for a few days while I get it all done.

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 06-16-2009).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice rad Archie...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$115 4 cyl radiator from Modine was enought to keep my 383 v8 165* in summer bumper to bumper traffic. Just sayin.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

$115 4 cyl radiator from Modine was enought to keep my 383 v8 165* in summer bumper to bumper traffic. Just sayin.

Are you saying it because you're pissed that you paid $115 for a stock style aftermarket radiator? I would be too, those are usually free if you have friends parting out Fieros. To think, for another $100 you could have upgraded to this bitchin' aftermarket unit!!!

Bryce
Rafe Zetter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rafe ZetterClick Here to visit Rafe Zetter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rafe ZetterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put one of those champion radiators in my 86 SE Fino conversion and it went straight in despite bein just slightly wider. I didnt get the unit weighed but It felt just slightly heavier than the stock one. Of course this rad has a transmission oil cooler built in so you can loose the stock one which resuts is a slight net weight saving.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2009 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not at all. I got a brand new radiator that fit in the car perfectly. Saw no need to replace what worked fine. I saved $85. If I sprayed some paint stripper on it to take off the black and painted it with aluminum paint it would look just like yours...but then its there to cool the engine, not be a dress up item. BTW, its the same size radiator as the ones in my C4 Corvettes and they work just fine with 350 V8s. I replaced the leaking one in my 86 vette when I put the V8 in the Fiero and compared them laying on the floor.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get them while they last. There are 3 open box radiators available on Ebay for $170 each SHIPPED! I posted about the availability of these radiators back in 2008 and received a commitment for a good deal when I was ready to purchase but the seller's user name was no longer active when that time came and this seems to be about the best you can expect with shipping included so I'm in.
Red97

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red97Send a Private Message to Red97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just got mine today. and its very very nice. caint wait till summer
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i lucked out with mine.. I found a $160 Champion out the door, no tax, plus free shipping. It was an open box too.. I checked it for leaks (but not under pressure) and straightened a little bit of the fans but in all, very nice.. I too can't wait to put it in!

Wife says home project are first but we'll see.....
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just got mine for my 3800SC swap i will be installing it and running it on my 2.8 for a while untill my motor is done i will post pics on my build thread looks like a slick peice and from what i hear it will do some good with my engine swap
PFF
System Bot
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is he selling some more or what? All the ebay links don't work. Anybody?
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are still being sold. I just bought one a couple months ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item19befb3f3a

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 09-02-2010).]

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fed-Ex will be delivering mine on 9-7-10.
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does anyone know of a two fan set up that will fit the 3 core, that i could get out of a salvage yard. thanks
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

Thanks Matt!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 09-02-2010).]

Jon350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jon350Send a Private Message to Jon350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

The installed picture in this ebay ad look identical as the one in Archie write up.

Edit: The picture is a link to this post....

[This message has been edited by Jon350 (edited 09-02-2010).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jon350:
The installed picture in this ebay ad look identical as the one in Archie write up.

That is because if you click the picture like it tells you to, it brings you to this thread... LOL.

Edit: Edited after realizing that you edited to say what I said, but then had to edit because of your edit... I think... I shouldn't hold the page open in Post so long. LOL.
------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 09-02-2010).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way too cool to pass up. Death Valley would not be a problem with that under the hood. I just bought one. Now there are only three left at that ebay auction.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fed -Ex delivered at 1PM today.
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey folks,

i'm looking to get one of these for my 3800 sc ii project car...any diffreence between the 2 & 3 core aluminums?

oh & where to get for best price?

thanks,

Nicholas

edited to add: found one & i have some good news; there's a sale!!! (see thread in buy & sell & gen chat too!)

[This message has been edited by OHNIKO (edited 04-11-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed mine today and had to do a lot of what Archie talked about and more. I had to do a lot of cutting on the top bracket and also had to reshape it in several areas to get it to fit and it is still really tight. I kind of wished I had left it alone. I don't know what the long term effects will be of having it fit so tightly.

It is cool but it cost me a day of my life to install it. Btw, my car's temperature doesn't do anything different than it did before.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

I installed mine today and had to do a lot of what Archie talked about and more. I had to do a lot of cutting on the top bracket and also had to reshape it in several areas to get it to fit and it is still really tight. I kind of wished I had left it alone. I don't know what the long term effects will be of having it fit so tightly.

It is cool but it cost me a day of my life to install it. Btw, my car's temperature doesn't do anything different than it did before.

My guess would be that, if you're having heat issues, then it's not related to the radiator - look somewhere else for the problem. I had a very good 3 core in my car and switched to the Champion because I needed more cooling for my SBC, the Champion reduced operating temp by at least 25 degrees with no other changes to the system. Also noted quicker cool down when fan kicked in, this was on a system with a "restriction flange" - no thermostat. If you're running a thermostat, you probably wouldn't see much change anyway as it is controlling the temp of the coolant.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aluminum cools better than OEM ones. I second the Champion radiator. I put one in my Coronet. They recommended only a 2 row. It works great with my 400 hp 413 cu in big block. Great people to deal with. They promised the 2 row would work fine, or they would take it back and send me a 3 row for free.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one of these radiators installed with a 3800 SC Series III engine and it works well. I acquired it from Archie, used his mods, and am very satisfied with the final result.

Nelson
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

My guess would be that, if you're having heat issues, then it's not related to the radiator - look somewhere else for the problem. I had a very good 3 core in my car and switched to the Champion because I needed more cooling for my SBC, the Champion reduced operating temp by at least 25 degrees with no other changes to the system. Also noted quicker cool down when fan kicked in, this was on a system with a "restriction flange" - no thermostat. If you're running a thermostat, you probably wouldn't see much change anyway as it is controlling the temp of the coolant.

My car had the normal fluctuations but nothing out of the normal range. I just wanted the extra capacity just in case. I plan on eventually doing hard mountain driving and installing a larger engine.

I may go out later this week and make a little more clearance like Archie did around the filler neck. I think that would be good in the long term.
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent a little time this evening on the upper radiator bracket to make it fit better. If you install one of these radiators don't be afraid to open up the space around the filler neck. If you don't, it may fit too tight and installing the bracket might not even be possible. I pounded the inner stamped edge of the hole flat with a hammer then cut the hole a little wider. Now it fits nice.
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick and Cid from Champion were kind enough to send me a 3 core alu radiator over. Depsite the postal services best attempts to annihilate it, the rad (and the remnants of the box) made it without probs.

Thanks for the installation info Archie and Race.

I cut the lower rubber mounts as Archie described and also the uppers. Flattened the stamped neck on the upper rad mount by the filler neck as Race described. The upper left also needed some reshaping on mine and I installed some thin foam strips where it ran close.

The upper port is not welded on particularly straight and one of the notches cut for the various lower/upper rad support bracket attaching bolts does not line up but that is of no great consequence and beats pushing the Fiero around this summer plus the radiator is beautiful. I woke up at 4am this morning excited about fitting it!!

Delighted.

Cheers
PK

EDIT: Are those that have fitted this rad using the Champion rad cap that came with it?

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 05-21-2011).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the Champion radiator and the new cap that came with it in a 3800 SC Series III engined car. No problems wrt the radiator so far.

Nelson
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered one for use in my Countach replica. That car has always run a bit warm so I'm hoping this will be the cure.

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica
87 Coutach replica

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors