Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Who has installed this 3 core aluminium radiator? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who has installed this 3 core aluminium radiator? by 1MohrFiero
Started on: 03-10-2009 05:24 PM
Replies: 106 (9830 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 12-10-2013 11:50 PM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, who has installed this radiator from this guys Ebay store? There were a few Fiero feedbacks left so I bet some of our family has it. What did you think? Is it a direct fit? Does it cool well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...6078773&_trksid=p450 6.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BabyVet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very intrested in this myself!!!!!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2009 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what I think about it....

------------------

IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the ebay 3 core with my N* conversion in my 88GT.

My stock V6 radiator cooled the N* but had a slow cool down time when the fan came on.
With the noted 3 core, it also cooled the N* but it is a much faster cool down time when the fan kicks on.

Fitment was tight. I had to trim the bottom rubber mounts about 1/4 inch or more. The radiator is very tight and does not move in the stock mounts when you bolt it in position. Tolerances are close on the top mounts but are fine.

Quality is good as far as the welding is concerned. I'd say that the cooling fin number count are the same per inch as our stock fiero rads. However, you have the extra thickness.

I'm going to buy another one, especially now that the prices are way down. It does a great job for the money.

[This message has been edited by IXSLR8 (edited 03-11-2009).]

MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, i feel like playing darts with my radiator just as an excuse to get this one.

[This message has been edited by MordacP (edited 03-11-2009).]

DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got one delivered last week and can say that the radiators look as good in person as it does in the Picture. Maybe even better then I expected. It seems like a very nice piece. Price is lower then the estimate of $200 that was given last year.

History was that someone on here wrote the guy about using his existing alum radiator for a v8 swap. His responce was that it was not good enough but if there was intrest he would design one that could. As far as I know they first became availiable around the holidays. The store was good to do business with and I am very happy with the whole transaction.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I may order one soon. My current radiator (the original) does fine at highway speeds and for about half an hour around town but then the temp will begin to creep up. This one looks very good and from the couple of responses so far I think I need one. Thanks, guys for responding. Anyone else?
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dwayne - I just ordered one. I had been looking for a larger radiator for a while.

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm.... It looks good, and sounds like it works good, and I'll probably buy one if I ever get back to working on the car and he's still selling them...

But why 2 eBay stores, with *slightly* different information (one says 650HP, the other 1000HP, but same P/N) and with 2 different prices?? I guess I'd have to go for the cheaper one, considering it's apparently the exact same radiator... (same picture and everything) Are they just 2 different eBay guys selling the same Champion radiators at different prices? Inquiring minds want to know...

Current auction same as posted above for $155 + $25 ship:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...0327458574QQtcZphoto

Other auction (same radiator / brand name / part number) but a different eBay user ID / location in CA for $140 + $25 ship:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ones pictured look like they are for autos, do they make one for manuals? If so I'm in.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I emailed them once about that picture being the same as the other company and his reply was that they buy from the same vendors...

I think this radiator is good idea too.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 03-11-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must be a cut / paste description then like most sellers that just cut / paste details from the manufacturer's website.. They're so close to being identical that I just assumed it was the same seller with 2 ID's... The first guy also lists one for $199 that's "850HP", but when you click on it the ad says "650HP" which seems to be the same.. Ah well. As long as they work!
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

I installed the ebay 3 core with my N* conversion in my 88GT.

My stock V6 radiator cooled the N* but had a slow cool down time when the fan came on.
With the noted 3 core, it also cooled the N* but it is a much faster cool down time when the fan kicks on.

Fitment was tight. I had to trim the bottom rubber mounts about 1/4 inch or more. The radiator is very tight and does not move in the stock mounts when you bolt it in position. Tolerances are close on the top mounts but are fine.

Quality is good as far as the welding is concerned. I'd say that the cooling fin number count are the same per inch as our stock fiero rads. However, you have the extra thickness.

I'm going to buy another one, especially now that the prices are way down. It does a great job for the money.

DO you have any pictures you could post?
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1MohrFiero

4363 posts
Member since Apr 2003

Originally posted by topcat:

Hey Dwayne - I just ordered one. I had been looking for a larger radiator for a while.

Hey Tony,
You should do an install thread when you get it.
How are things going? I am retired now too.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know I just might do that . I am not sure when I will start the actual install. The rad in the car is cooling enough, but there are times in the heat of summer when I am in stop and go city traffic that the temp gauge starts creeping up. The fan keeps it down, but is on all the time. I think a larger radiator will keep the fan from running as much.
bc12dJohn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bc12dJohnSend a Private Message to bc12dJohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I have one also. My only comment is, and I am surprised that no one else had this experience, I had to modify the upper support. The aluminum radiator (at least the one that I bought) was more square at the upper, drivers side corner. So I had to modify the support to have a 90 degree corner rather than the angled corner. I can't comment on the cooling improvemet since I am still finishing the wiring and some other stuff. I am dying to hear it come to life!
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine arrived yesterday. I am not sure when I will tackle the install, biut teh quality seems to be first rate.

Maybe next weekend I will spend the time to do it.

1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am gonna keep my eye on you!

Gto1966

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gto1966Send a Private Message to Gto1966Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked about getting one for a manual from the above mentioned cheaper auction and this is the responce I got :

Trans cooler is included. Ok for manual and auto trans. You can bypass if not needed. Price going up Saturday. $35.00 increase. Buy now to save money. Thank you, Brent...

[This message has been edited by Gto1966 (edited 03-19-2009).]

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After doing some digging, I found the contact info for the manufacturer. You can order direct and save money.
http://www.championcooling....hampion_page_002.htm
These could be the best radiator option for high perfornance Fieros at the price I was quoted.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ClayTonto:

After doing some digging, I found the contact info for the manufacturer. You can order direct and save money.
http://www.championcooling....hampion_page_002.htm
These could be the best radiator option for high perfornance Fieros at the price I was quoted.

How much was the quote? Did you just email them with the info for your car?

Thanks for doing the leg work on this.
PFF
System Bot
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They quoted me $155 when I called them. They said they could probably go as low as $145 right now because they made alot of these radiators in anticipation of selling many of them, but they have not had a good response. The chances of them continuing to make these awesome radiators for use in the future is slim if we don't start buying them. If you want one, get it now while they are in abundance and cheap.
Icelander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcelanderSend a Private Message to IcelanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got mine and plan to swap it in this weekend if I can get some shop space out of the rain.

I will take pictures and try to document everything.

------------------
Kendall (Icelander) Whitlatch
'85 Fiero 2M4 - 5spd Isuzu
'67 LeMans/GTO clone 6.5 litre TH400
All the rest aren't Pontiacs, so what does it matter?

h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just spoke with Cid at Champion cooling. A very polite and helpfull person. He said he would honor the reduced price for
folks here on the Forum. I ordered mine!
Lets support vendors who help us build our cars!!

------------------
84' Indy Pace Car (car #2000)
86' G.T.
87' Coupe (daily driver)
88' Formula (V8 project)
Member: NIFE

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As an "FYI", or comparison or whatever, a "generic" 1 row replacement radiator from Autozone is $190, and it likely won't provide the cooling that this all aluminum one will.. I want to order one, just not sure where I'm going to store it.. I already can't walk in here...

Edit.. Sent Cid an email. Might as well get one now. Maybe I'll hang it from the ceiling 'till I get back down to the car....

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 03-20-2009).]

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know an aluminum three-core is sufficient for engine swaps, furthermore I would imagine even stock engines could benefit, the fan would probably run very little if at all. So, every Fiero owner should buy one.

Edit: to add pic for those who haven't seen one yet.

They even come with a cap!

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 03-20-2009).]

ricksmastermix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2009 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put one in my car last weekend. It's an awesome unit, but it's about 1-1/2" wider than the stock unit. So minor fabrication is necessary.
DandRauto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cid was the guy I did business with as well. He was the one that we talked to about designing the unit.

My purchase transaction and thespeed of shipment was excellent. I would definately recomend Cid from Champion radiators.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2009 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am calling him Monday. The price on Ebay has jumped already.
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought my second one. Hummm. Now another fiero....
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2009 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

I am calling him Monday. The price on Ebay has jumped already.

The eBay guys probably had a "spike" in their sales of these after this thread popped up and figured they should boost the prices. Too bad we all now know they can be had from the manufacturer for less.
PFF
System Bot
ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got off the phone with Cid, you're looking at $209.95 + 24.95 shipping now. He said they made them hoping they would catch on and kept the price low. Now that eveyone is buying them they are marking them up.....supply and demand gotta love it.

He has 5 left right now and another shipment due the end of April. I also asked if he was going to stop making them or if this was a limited run, his said no.
Still cheaper than what I paid for my BeeCool setup in my Camaro.
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered mine also. Prices have went up a bit but they are still a great deal. I guess the early birds caught the worm on this one. Mention Pennock's for a discount. I'm going to ask Archie to install mine on my build thread, so hopefully we'll get some more pics and info there.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn... He never emailed me back, but for $209 I'm out. Guess I'll have to wait 'till I actually need one. That's what happens when you procrastinate.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I started this thread and I am in the same boat but when I talked Cid he never mentioned a discount even when I brought up Pennocks a couple of times. I guess I will get one eventually but not right now.

Still waiting for pictures guys...
couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ClayTonto:

They quoted me $155 when I called them. They said they could probably go as low as $145 right now because they made alot of these radiators in anticipation of selling many of them

Wow, price goes from $145 to over $209 in 3 days! I need one too, but I'll wait until the engine swap is done since there doesn't seem to be any reason to buy right now.

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How would this compare to Archies 4 core radiator? I would assume with an extra core and the benefits of copper heat exchange that Archies would be cooler but heavier.
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

How would this compare to Archies 4 core radiator? I would assume with an extra core and the benefits of copper heat exchange that Archies would be cooler but heavier.

Archie is no longer selling a 4-core, the radiator he sales now is a copper 3-core. I have one of his 4-cores in my car and I'm switching to the 3-core aluminum. If you want a 4-core, I will sell mine (only 500 miles on it, like it matters).

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 03-24-2009).]

ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cid send me an email telling me that he knocked $20 off due to the response from the forums. That's cool. I know others got them a lot cheaper but I am ok with spending what I did to help put food on someone's table.

So if you ordered this week check your invoice.
ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine today, here it is just pulled out of the box. No damage and packaged very well, I am pleased.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock