Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How To - Repair the Fuel Level Sending Unit (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
How To - Repair the Fuel Level Sending Unit by Xanth
Started on: 05-26-2008 06:36 PM
Replies: 95 (22044 views)
Last post by: 813-fiero on 06-14-2018 08:48 PM
montage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for montageSend a Private Message to montageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could do it by measuring the resistance of a certain number of wraps and dividing by the number of wraps to get the resistance per wrap. I noticed someone mentioned nichrome wire if we had the diameter or gauge of the wire I could figure it out assuming it is nichrome.
IP: Logged
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has Anyone ever found a "Source" for the "Rub Strip" itself ? I have 2 gauges here with the wire on the Strip completely "disintegrated". oh, 1000 grit sandpaper works reals well to clean up the surfaces.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No "Source" for New "Rub Strip" ??
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

No "Source" for New "Rub Strip" ??

Where do you get new contacts?

Fastfocusguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastfocusguySend a Private Message to FastfocusguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a closely related question :
does anybody have a 3 view drawing or even just a sketch
with the overall dimensions of the Fiero gas tank?
I am using a non-GM fuel gauge in my OPM2000 Pantero Re-Body,
and it would help to know the top to bottom distance
of the shorter and taller portions of this tank
since I may have to use an aftermarket sender to get the ohms
needed to make my crazy Italian gauge read properly !
Cheers,
Dave
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to say that this tip from the OP works really well.

Before my gauge used to jump all over the place so I took the sending unit apart and polished the resister.
It reads almost perfect now, empty is at 1/4 a tank and full is about 1/4 above full. Once I re-position the needle on the gauge it should be perfect.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be doing this soon. There are a couple good sized dents in the tank, it's in good shape, I think the dents were from a forklift, this tank wasn't original. What's the best way to get them out?

[This message has been edited by Stainless1911 (edited 04-04-2014).]

fierogtx

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are you able to view the pic in the first page ???? i want to do that on my sendind unit but cant view the pic does it is me computer ????
Stainless1911

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtx:

are you able to view the pic in the first page ???? i want to do that on my sendind unit but cant view the pic does it is me computer ????

No, I can't see them either.

The system this forum is running on is antiquated. I'm looking forward to the day when we upgrade to one of the good ones like vbulletin.

------------------
I have a 1987 Fiero, 4 cylinder 5 speed. With an 88 engine.

[This message has been edited by Stainless1911 (edited 06-22-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to Phonedawgz' link a few posts above.....
PFF
System Bot
fierogtx

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Go to Phonedawgz' link a few posts above.....

that dont work on my computer too but will try my girlfriend computer to just make sure it is my computer thanks for the idea
colorado84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for colorado84SESend a Private Message to colorado84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey fellas, I wanted to attempt this repair on my 84. It has been sitting for 12 years so of course everything varnished up and I lost the fuel pump as well as level indication. I sent the tank out to a radiator shop and figured I would soak the sending unit in Vinegar. I have used the vinegar trick several times on motorcycle tanks and the like with great success; however I found the downside of this process. Vinegar will eat the material inside the potentiometer that the coils are wrapped around. so let me be the cautionary tale. DO NOT SOAK SENDING UNIT IN VINEGAR. Fortunately The Fiero Store now has sending units in stock again, so I can source one there while I try and find the correct POT to repair the old one.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a zero to 90 ohm universal sending for cheap at Jegs.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

You can buy a zero to 90 ohm universal sending for cheap at Jegs.

I have a write up about it.
How To - - Replace Gas / Fuel sending unit / Gauge sender with a generic one --- pics
813-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 813-fieroSend a Private Message to 813-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Today I checked my sender since I had dropped the tank. The car hasn't run in 14 years, so I couldn't recall if the sender worked or not. At any rate, the resistance readings were all over the place. Looking around for help, I found this thread. So I took the potentiometer apart. Sure enough, it was varnished and dirty. So I cleaned it up with scotchbrite and contact cleaner, and now it works. Sort of. The reading was still erratic. So, I looked at it closer, and realized that the ground reference for the potentiometer is through the lever arm. Which has a sloppy fit to the case that is crimped on...well, you get the idea. So I measured resistance grounded on the lever arm itself, and it is perfect and no more erratic readings. So tomorrow I'm going to figure out how to attach a ground wire to the lever. Will let you know how it goes.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock