Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Inside the GM tilt steering column (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Inside the GM tilt steering column by JazzMan
Started on: 12-04-2007 08:54 AM
Replies: 139 (127255 views)
Last post by: ArthurPeale on 06-05-2022 12:43 PM
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remember....if Jazzman didn't do such a fantastic job, it would not matter. So applause to Jazzman also.
IP: Logged
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Just remember....if Jazzman didn't do such a fantastic job, it would not matter. So applause to Jazzman also.

Yes, I agree. The "old" Jazzman was a fantastic guy, keen to help as much people as possible. Unfortunately, the "new" Jazzman... well... not so much.
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Yes, I agree. The "old" Jazzman was a fantastic guy, keen to help as much people as possible. Unfortunately, the "new" Jazzman... well... not so much.

With all do respect to Cliff, for starting and maintaining this fantastic Forum, and all guys like "Jazzman," (past and/or previous) who post such wonderful helpful information to help us dummies keep our cars on the road; I need some questions answered before I (semi-blindly) go tearing my steering column apart, not knowing if I have everything I need to put it all back together!

I live 6-miles out and depend on my Fiero to get around because, I love driving my Fiero, and I sold all my other vehicles when I retired.

So,fist of all, at the beginning and end of the thread there are no instructions on how to remove and install the steering column...are there any? Secondly, what parts do I need to have on hand for probable replacement, because they are more likely to be warn out? There are usually certain parts in a repair job like this, that should be replaced as a matter of practicality...what are they? I'd rather buy parts I may not need, and return them if I don't use them, than to be stuck without a part I don't have, and can't get it back together! Should the bearings be replaced or just repacked with grease? Maybe some one can provide a list of recommended parts to have on hand that, more than likely, may need replaced..? Is there an overhaul kit available through GM or whoever? Jazzman mentioned re-greasing movable parts, but when and how much? Greasing parts before necessary can make them hard to handle, especially with all those little (Chinese puzzle) parts!

sorry to be so picky, but I have never rebuilt a complicated column like that, and want to cover as many bases as possible! I have to say, that thread is one of the most professional, and complete threads I've seen! Except for the absence of removal and installation instructions...lol!

[This message has been edited by hypo327 (edited 07-09-2012).]

88 Dread GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Dread GTSend a Private Message to 88 Dread GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hypo327:

With all do respect to Cliff, for starting and maintaining this fantastic Forum, and all guys like "Jazzman," (past and/or previous) who post such wonderful helpful information to help us dummies keep our cars on the road; I need some questions answered before I (semi-blindly) go tearing my steering column apart, not knowing if I have everything I need to put it all back together!

I live 6-miles out and depend on my Fiero to get around because, I love driving my Fiero, and I sold all my other vehicles when I retired.

So,fist of all, at the beginning and end of the thread there are no instructions on how to remove and install the steering column...are there any? Secondly, what parts do I need to have on hand for probable replacement, because they are more likely to be warn out? There are usually certain parts in a repair job like this, that should be replaced as a matter of practicality...what are they? I'd rather buy parts I may not need, and return them if I don't use them, than to be stuck without a part I don't have, and can't get it back together! Should the bearings be replaced or just repacked with grease? Maybe some one can provide a list of recommended parts to have on hand that, more than likely, may need replaced..? Is there an overhaul kit available through GM or whoever? Jazzman mentioned re-greasing movable parts, but when and how much? Greasing parts before necessary can make them hard to handle, especially with all those little (Chinese puzzle) parts!

sorry to be so picky, but I have never rebuilt a complicated column like that, and want to cover as many bases as possible! I have to say, that thread is one of the most professional, and complete threads I've seen! Except for the absence of removal and installation instructions...lol!

I replaced my wiper and turn signal switches just this past weekend. I noticed this write up had been taken down so I found this one: http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
I don't know if he's a member or not but this helped out big time! I even shelled out $90 for a GM original turn signal lever w/cruise and now my '88 GT has cruise control for the first time since 1997!

------------------
=-Eric the Dread

1988 Fiero GT 2.8L V6
2001 Grand Prix GTP SC3.8L V6

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The write-up is now on page three of this thread

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/088020-3.html#p111
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

Hey, I have a question about this post which explains me copying it and making it once again available for everyone to see.

Working on the pictures now. This may take awhile, the copy I have used a different server for them, and I'm manually changing the address so they work, then I hope some people save this for future use.

Brad

This post is also available on any number (perhaps hundreds) of servers around the world. http://web.archive.org is where I picked this up.

If there is too large of a fuss I shall make another complete walkthrough, name it Cliff's property and go from there because things like this should remain part of the community, unless of course a certain person wants to claim any posts that discuss repairing steering columns.

Would love to see you re post this thread as a whole new thread titled: "Tilt steering column repair" to make it easy for others to find it! I noticed one thing wrong with it too: The lock plate tool Jazz man shows is the wrong one. The right one is by Performance Tools, "Steering wheel Lock Plate Tool (remover/installer) part # W80649," available at O'Reilly's. It has the built-in sleeve on the steering shaft adapter, that slides over the steering wheel splines and buts up tight and flush to the larger splines that the spring clip has to slide over and onto the adapter for easy re-installation. This tool has two different Puller yokes and two different adapters to fit more vehicle applications also (tilt and telescoping).
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hypo327

290 posts
Member since Oct 2009

Originally posted by 88 Dread GT:

I replaced my wiper and turn signal switches just this past weekend. I noticed this write up had been taken down so I found this one: http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
I don't know if he's a member or not but this helped out big time! I even shelled out $90 for a GM original turn signal lever w/cruise and now my '88 GT has cruise control for the first time since 1997!

This thread link (noted above) pictures the correct adapter in use, I referred to Brad above! Including this thread with Jazz Man's old one would be helpful to each other to pick-up where the other one is lacking, and make it more complete!
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Dread GT:

I used the same thread you posted to get to my four infamous torx head bolts that need to be tightened. All went well until after I removed the three phillips head screws from the turn signal switch and the single screw from the turn signal lever inner arm. He then said to "...pull the turn signal "stalk" from the column with the wiper in off position." What does he mean by "stalk?" Does he meant the switch or does he mean the signal arm??? Because either one will come out! He can't mean the signal arm, because it is held in by some kind of pivot pin, and the switch is held in by something catching it from the bottom. So I'm stuck! Plus, I don't know why I need to remove the column from the car, just to tighten the four bolts!?

Edit: Okay, after reviewing Jazzzman's pictures and instructions, I found the stock is the signal arm, that just pulls out, like a socket, after you put the wiper on the off position. So, that answers that question, but do I still have to remove the post just to tighten those bolts? And it has to be anchored down some way to torque the bolts..?

[This message has been edited by hypo327 (edited 12-30-2012).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All legalities aside, this thread must be placed in the FAQ-How-to section.

Bob
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I don't mean to bring up this old thread, but when I read through it, it looks to be an assembly-only process.

I'm in the middle of repairing a tilt column and I cant seem to find how to pull the pivot pins out. so I can get to the torx head bolts to remove the steering column wobble.

It looks threaded, I may have to use a slide hammer or something. brb with any progress.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a tool for removing the pivot pins. I now have the tool but did not when I pulled my pins. I found a long screw with the proper threads and put a wide washer on it and wound it into the pivot pin. I then used a pair of pliers as a slide hammer and started wacking at it and they came right out.

Spoon
------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 04-17-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

There's a tool for removing the pivot pins. I now have the tool but did not when I pulled my pins. I found a long screw with the proper threads and put a wide washer on it and wound it into the pivot pin. I then used a pair of pliers as a slide hammer and started wacking at it and they came right out.

Spoon

would you or anyone else know the thread size of the inside of the pivot pins?

I'm going to call the local autoparts stores to see if they have such a tool kit available.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey this is your lucky day. Found this for you.

Remove Pivot Pin - Description #5
Remove the two pivot pins #30. Each of the pins ha
s a tapped hole so that you can use
the GM tool or jury rig a puller using an 8-32 scre
w, nut, washer, and a ½ inch or a
12mm socket. Bridge each pin with the socket and u
se the screw and nut to pull them
out. You will note that the bowl of #53 Gearshift
Lever Housing comes right up to the
edge of each pivot pin. You cannot react against t
he fragile bowl. But you also must
keep your removal tool square to the pivot pins. T
wo home made tools that provide
clearance to the bowl and keep things square are sh
own below. Some people have
successfully threaded a screw into the pins and pri
ed them out with a pair of pliers.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Hey this is your lucky day. Found this for you.

8-32 screw, nut, washer, and a ½ inch or a 12mm socket.

Spoon

+1 for you, thanks!
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know how to get ahold of him.
I really don't feel like doing this myself and I recall he had people send him them and have fixed.

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Does anyone know how to get ahold of him.
I really don't feel like doing this myself and I recall he had people send him them and have fixed.

PM sent
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note: PDF version link above is dead and likely never coming back.
Google the file name and alt file name to find mirrors.

Working on columns:
Is not really hard to fix them most times.
If you don't what to do the job... Many people fix them. Check local shops.

Use PFF search and See my Cave, Steering for other column notes.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Note: PDF version link above is dead and likely never coming back.
Google the file name and alt file name to find mirrors.

Working on columns:
Is not really hard to fix them most times.
If you don't what to do the job... Many people fix them. Check local shops.

Use PFF search and See my Cave, Steering for other column notes.

Well it out and apart now.
hands throbbing and shaking with arthritis. I wish I hadn't started this and just replaced it at this point.

This thread has helped me immensely so far. Thanks to Ogre's thread i know what is wrong with ignition also. It is definitely bent gear linkage thingie.
All four bolts falling out one hole I am re tapping to see if I can clean it up.

Dear lord I hope I can get this back together again.

EDIT

I just saved Jazzman's PDF from Ogre's cave. Printing it out now. Thank you Jazzman even if you are mad at something.

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 06-04-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:
All four bolts falling out one hole I am re tapping to see if I can clean it up.

I just saved Jazzman's PDF from Ogre's cave.

Don't "re tap" or even just chase defective bolts or holes.

The metal part the 4 bolts go thru is soft. If you re tap the holes then likely will be doing this again.

Just get a used tilt unit and used that for better parts. Tilt section should be the same on most GM rounded columns. (Is the tube section that made for model of car.)

Yes, my cave does have a link to a "mirror." How long depend on mirror. I'm not fixing dead links every day. I don't know how long last link was dead.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2022 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Primaris:

Edit: Well I screwed that up somehow.

Fixed: .PDF via torrent magnet link
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:AE801AB4720C1B4613434318E1C1C51E58593827&dn=Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce

Plain old torrent: Link

updated link

https://thepiratebay.org/de...ption.php?id=8579126
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave