Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Inside the GM tilt steering column (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Inside the GM tilt steering column by JazzMan
Started on: 12-04-2007 08:54 AM
Replies: 139 (127257 views)
Last post by: ArthurPeale on 06-05-2022 12:43 PM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2007 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 11-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jazz, I was curious about something. When I switched from 15" wheels to 16" wheels, my car suddenly developed an intermittent shudder in the steering wheel at freeway speeds. Its only there at freeway speeds and there's no pattern to it, though it does seem more pronounced on poorer quality roads. Someone indicated to me that this could be a problem in the steering column, and from what I gathered from your article here, it may be those plastic gears that are meant to break in an accident, is that correct? You say this is non-repairable, does that mean I would need to replace the column or could it be rebuilt? My car has an aftermarket steering wheel that was installed by the previous owner, so I have no idea what amount of force may have been used to remove the original. My car is also sans steering dampener, though I would happily put it back if it might make a difference.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2007 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Jazz, I was curious about something. When I switched from 15" wheels to 16" wheels, my car suddenly developed an intermittent shudder in the steering wheel at freeway speeds. Its only there at freeway speeds and there's no pattern to it, though it does seem more pronounced on poorer quality roads. Someone indicated to me that this could be a problem in the steering column, and from what I gathered from your article here, it may be those plastic gears that are meant to break in an accident, is that correct? You say this is non-repairable, does that mean I would need to replace the column or could it be rebuilt? My car has an aftermarket steering wheel that was installed by the previous owner, so I have no idea what amount of force may have been used to remove the original. My car is also sans steering dampener, though I would happily put it back if it might make a difference.

The steering column can't cause a shudder in the car. The opposite is true of course. More likely your problem is the alignment. Damper might be cause but without taking it for a spin it's hard to say.

BTW Jazz, Very nice write-up. I guess you're good for something afterall.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not a shudder in the car, though. Just the steering wheel itself, and only intermittently. The rest of the car feels perfect, its just the steering wheel.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Its not a shudder in the car, though. Just the steering wheel itself, and only intermittently. The rest of the car feels perfect, its just the steering wheel.

I'd check that alignment first. It could be the steering rack, tie rods, or ball joints but start with the cheaper problems first. It is unusual for a steering column to shake on its own. And considering it was fine until you changed wheels I'd go with the undercarriage first.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-22-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 11-22-2011).]

THE BEAST

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I like it.
Thanks,
JG
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Ok, I've tuned this article up as much as I can, so barring any input or suggestions I'm going to consider it done.
Thanks for stopping by!
JazzMan

well you could have had more hot chics.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2007 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to know, I'll check it out.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you posted this, as I "explored" my column when I installed a new turn signal shaft and ended up "forcing" things. Now I can refer to this to take care of issues in a better manner next time.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2007 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-18-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are they afraid ?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow how did I miss this thread? Awesome work. I have a loose column I'm ready to replace the whole thing rather than mess with it. I've been in the column before and it's kind of like brain surgery except harder.

Oh and thanks Cliff, for lifting the pic per post limit. Threads like this would have been impossible before, and harder to read with people interrupting every few posts.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 12-24-2007).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good write up. You get a plus from me. I hate it when mechanics use the steering wheel as leverage to get in and out of these cars.

Dave
shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome. my tilt function is loose. i can just pull the wheel down without using the lever. i have nother column that looks like crap but works good, so i think i'll go tear them down and build one back up. thanks for this write up! i'm going to print the whole thing and get to work!
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2008 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(this post will sound wrong because this person contacted me via youtube)

Troy,
read through this thread also
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/089378.html

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 06-11-2008).]

Intel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2008 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tore down my tilt column today because it was loose.
Everything went smooth, got those 4 torx bolts tightened with red loctite but when I put it all together I got some movement in the shaft.
After looking at your pictures I think I put the preload cup on the upper bearing the wrong way (it fell out when I was struggling with the U-joint separation so I didn't notice how it was placed).
Will have to check this tomorrow. Hope it's the culprint because the threads in my pivot pins won't last another pull (using M4 homebrew puller).
The only thing I can't see in your pictures is how the black plastic ball bearing retainer (upper) is located. It's a little bit bigger in one end and when you put the bearings in you hold it with the bigger chamfered end up. Do you just lower it onto the shaft like this or flip it over using grease to hold the bearings in place?

Anyway thanks for making stuff like this... I know you've put lots of time making this guide. Every time I'm going to make a writeup I get so carried away that I forget to take any pictures and end up with before and after shots.
Intel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2008 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I fixed it.

It was the preload cup that I had reversed so that it didn't put enough pressure on the race.
Now it's all tight and non-wobbly.

And again...thanks for this super detailed writeup!!
Sidecar 2M6 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sidecar 2M6 SESend a Private Message to Sidecar 2M6 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man!! This so informative. If you are not already a technical writer by trade, you should be!
I have two wobbly columns. The one I took out 2 years ago and the one I put in as a replacement which at that time didn't wobble but does now. Now I know why and I agree about the small tab area on the lower plate. Loctite on those 4 torx bolts it is!
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2008 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I'd had this 2 years ago! Awesome job, Jazzman. Another + for ya!

------------------
Journal of a concept: http://southeastfieros.com >>> Build Thread >>> Parts thread (for project funding)

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For anyone who would like a printable version of this I have converted this and another thread to PDF for you.

Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

Stu
PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried to download
result : message File corrupted can't be fixed ?

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 01-01-2009).]

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made so many changes to it I reuploaded it. Might have been whenyou were getting it. I'm done now.
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DIY_Stu

2337 posts
Member since Jun 2007
I decided to make these pdf's because the write up is better than the one in the Factory Service Manual. That and the fact that I need it due to my sector slide gear failing on me last night. I had to drop the column just to get the dang thing started. Now knowing that I have to go somewhere I should have pulled the Ignition switch off until it was fixed. Grrrrrr.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2009 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

I made so many changes to it I reuploaded it. Might have been whenyou were getting it. I'm done now.

Works OK now thanks

telefragg3d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2009 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for telefragg3dSend a Private Message to telefragg3dEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this post is fantastic! thanks so much. i might have to pull apart the column to fix my turn signal switch...agh!
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great How To.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent Work, only suggestion is to add a Tear down part to your rebuild part
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am currently having a problem on my 88 Auto column. I have read through this thread but need some clarification. Here's my problem.

When I go to shut the car off - turn the ignition switch, it sometimes will not turn to the point where you can remove the key - like it is jammed. Sometimes it jams completely and I can not turn it in any direction or get the key out. If I wiggle the steering wheel and move the auto shifter back and forth, eventually it will release and I can get the key out. I believe there is a cable from the shifter to the column? if so, is there an adjustment that can be made or is the problem in the column in the ignition lock setup? Thanks in advance.

Pat

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this problem right before it wouldn't start any more. Here's your fix.

http://www.autozone.com/aut...Value=100836&categor yNValue=101314&fromWhere=&subPartId=prod11818&itemId=prod11818&displayName=Ignition+Switch+Rack+Kit

Autozone Rack Repair kit Part Number: 83211

While you're in there if you wish you can also tighten up the reverse torx screws. Word to the wise MARK THE SHAFT that the steering wheel goes onto to indicate the UP position. I put mine on up side down after the ball joint popped loose at a 90º bend. So I got to tear down and rebuild the column twice!!!

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 03-24-2009).]

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The metal part gets bent over time then starts hanging it all up.
PFF
System Bot
Chris_86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Added to favorites, great job JazzMan, + for you.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot for this thread. I got so disgusted with floppy steering wheels (2 different steering columns) that I got rid of the tilt altogether. I've still got the columns though and will try to rebuild them.

------------------

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

The metal part gets bent over time then starts hanging it all up.

Thanks Stu - Sounds like I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Pat

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2009 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

Thanks a lot for this thread. I got so disgusted with floppy steering wheels (2 different steering columns) that I got rid of the tilt altogether. I've still got the columns though and will try to rebuild them.

you might consider sending them away to jazzman to rebuild if he still does them, it might be worth it
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2009 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread must be... Saved! (as favorite).
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

This thread must be... Saved! (as favorite).

"

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you think a Ignition Switch is bad?

Maybe and Maybe Not.

Check very carefully the linkage. Linkage can die as well because bad switch overloads it. If link is anything but straight then is bad. Do Not try to fix it. Replacement is only option. Check gear teeth to.

Bend then straighten make it weak.

NAPA or Dorman's HELP! at most auto part store.

Always replace ignition switch when you replace linkage! You do not want to replace the linkage twice.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-29-2009).]

jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Ok, I've tuned this article up as much as I can, so barring any input or suggestions I'm going to consider it done.

Thanks for stopping by!

JazzMan

jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jwct7

157 posts
Member since Mar 2004

Originally posted by jwct7:

So I have to dismantle all the top end just to change the ignition Barrel?
The chime switch had me thinking.... I have just had a problem appear where my Chime will not turn off, even while I'm driving??? I pulled it out for now, but I have changed the door switches and the one under the hood, I don't have anything at the rear. The lights all go out but the chime sings away, any ideas?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock