Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Project 3400 Roller Cam Block (Page 19)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project 3400 Roller Cam Block by lou_dias
Started on: 07-27-2006 06:49 PM
Replies: 777 (30526 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 04-16-2024 09:22 AM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you giving up on the 3.4 PR?? Come on Lou!!! You are my inspiration dude!! One of the things that I made me do my 3.4 is that you never lost hope!! Come on man!!
IP: Logged
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL I think you are confused. My 3.5 will be a 3400 block bored to 3.7" with iron heads.
3.4 and 3400 pistons are similar but the 3400 pistons have a deeper dish...as do 3500(non-VVT) pistons. Hence I will use longer rods and shave down the top of the pistons to lower the dish dept to compensate for the longer rod. 2.8 flat top pistons can support .510" of lift and luckily, there is a roller cam available from WOT-Tech with that lift.

Longer rods will increase dwell-time near TDC. Allow for a higher revving bottom end as the angle of rod deflection is reduced.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

LOL I think you are confused. My 3.5 will be a 3400 block bored to 3.7" with iron heads.
3.4 and 3400 pistons are similar but the 3400 pistons have a deeper dish...as do 3500(non-VVT) pistons. Hence I will use longer rods and shave down the top of the pistons to lower the dish dept to compensate for the longer rod. 2.8 flat top pistons can support .510" of lift and luckily, there is a roller cam available from WOT-Tech with that lift.

Longer rods will increase dwell-time near TDC. Allow for a higher revving bottom end as the angle of rod deflection is reduced.

Oh ok! LOL. I was going to get longer rods for mine but I decided not to. I have .533 lift on mine with DOHC pistons and the crown sticks out of the deck about .050 or so and I don't have a problem with interference. My 2.8 had flat tops and I had .512 lift and never had a problem either.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2017 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^ That's good to know. I'll be using 3.4 F-Body pistons, which have a slight dish on top (about 0.1" deep). So that should give lots of valve clearance!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Had some axle-snapping fun yesterday. Made it to final race and snapped an axle on launch. End up with 2nd place trophy. First event of the season.

Also first race after switching to E85 and picking up 10 rwhp and 12 ft*lbs

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-26-2019).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2019 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What tires are you running in the front?
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2019 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Had some axle-snapping fun yesterday. Made it to final race and snapped an axle on launch. End up with 2nd place trophy. First event of the season.

Also first race after switching to E85 and picking up 10 rwhp and 12 ft*lbs

Way to go Lou!! Nice Job!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2019 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

Here is the whole event in it's axle-snapping glory!

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2019 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this #6 since 2009? I've lost count...

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last month's not-done-tuning yet dyno:

After this I discovered someone had regapped my plugs back to .060 hence the misfires (are down to .050" now) and I also made some adjustments to lean out the top end some more but I haven't had a chance to go back to the dyno yet to "record" the results. Though the axle-snapping performance is telling...
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this #6 since 2009? I've lost count...

That almost looks like it wasn't fully torqued.
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the torque setting? I've heard 200# and 100#... But part of the problem is the Arraut bearing isn't "right" where the spline doesn't go 100% thru it due to a spacer that is required...
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero is 200 lb-ft.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
What tires are you running in the front?

Same as in the back just a different brand. Nitto NT01 and Toyo R888

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 05-31-2019).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2019 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you had to work to tame lift-throttle oversteer?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2019 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm using the same HELD kit, slalom front with bump-steer correction in the back except now 13 years later my front "heim" joints are loose as a spruce goose... Alignment is straight. I just play with tire pressures. Lower on the inside, rear is 23 and 28 psi.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2019 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A locked diff or a tight peg legger like you call it fixes that problem. It also fixes the high speed braking rear wondering of the car.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 06-03-2019).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2019 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My front end is more of a problem... I need to replace the heim joints that hold the pivot bar of the upper arms... That's the only thing preventing me from hitting turn 3 at WOT right now... Rear end is planted pretty damn good.
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2019 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My front end is more of a problem... I need to replace the heim joints that hold the pivot bar of the upper arms... That's the only thing preventing me from hitting turn 3 at WOT right now... Rear end is planted pretty damn good.

Give the front end a bit of toe-in

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't launch the car on Saturday.

You can see my nose bounce on both launches. I think I under-revved the launch... My tach has been inaccurate for years.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2019 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"An inside look" at my car!

PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for no direct updates in a while.
The car may have 1 last race in it for this season in October if:

I only have valvetrain issues that can be fixed before then.
On the Memorial Day race of this year, the track was wet and I over-revved the motor on both launches. 2 weeks later when I had brought it back to the track the car had a noticeable power loss. It now seems to be running on 4 cylinders.
I am hoping it's just a valve-train issue that can be fixed. In the meantime I have started building up a 3.5L build but waiting on the custom pistons and rods from La Fiera.

The other thing I am trying to fix is the handling. The rear HELD bump-steer correction arms are old have the heim joints are worn which is why I've been spinning out in turn 3/4 when driving hard rather that sliding out like an '88.
I ordered some parts from Grainger: 20F989 male rod end, RH, 3/4-16. That is based on information another ARRAUT rear bump-steer kit owner gave me. They need to be un-tack-welded and hopefully these are a perfect replacement and eliminate my wiggly behavior coming out of turn 2 and into 3 and 4.

So the car will be down another month. In the meantime I am adding some coil-overs to my red 3800SC-auto car so that may show up at the track again soon. F40 -> 4.9 swap is pending as well.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2023 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long-story short, I lost compression in 2 cylinders.

Anyway here's the heads that were on that motor, the guides were warped so I had them drilled out and new guides were put in.

I will use these on my stock Formula once it's time to replace the 2.8...

https://rumble.com/v2aonfa-...-v6-heads-redux.html
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those 1.4" ID exhaust ports are incredible! Did you also do the custom mod to the middle intake??

Do you think you are now upper Intake limited? I guess the MPFI straight-shot intake must be quite a bit better than our stock, distributor-avoiding upper, yes??
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2023 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, as I documented, I picked up 22 rwhp at 6000 rpm by notching the middle intake

I'm switching to a custom upper+middle combined intake for the next engine.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 02-24-2023).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New build is finally getting closer to being done...

6" rods, custom pistons with 3.7" bore; titanium valves 1.8"/1.5" and a higher revving cam with ~.550" lift

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's an interesting oil filter adapter.
Tell me more.

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-06-2023).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It came with the used 3400 engine. It may hit our cradle and will probably get removed during the installation. I believe the donor was a 2000 Oldsmobile w/3400. It's 3.5L now. The machine shop was putting everything back on from the 3400 and I had to stop him. He had the 3400 water-pump on as well. I clipped that out of the pics... Ordering all new Fiero hardware.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-06-2023).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It came with the used 3400 engine. It may hit our cradle and will probably get removed during the installation.

I was wondering about that. It looks like it might.

But it's crowded in that area on my GT.
(NOTE: I have a later model small starter on engine now)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-06-2023).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I was wondering about that. It looks like it might.

But it's crowded in that area on my GT.
(NOTE: I have a later model small starter on engine now)

Fierosound that looks like a work of art! What engine is that?

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

La fiera

2197 posts
Member since Jun 2008

New build is finally getting closer to being done...

6" rods, custom pistons with 3.7" bore; titanium valves 1.8"/1.5" and a higher revving cam with ~.550" lift

Take some extra axles to the track because you'll go through them much faster now with that engine combo. Ask me how I know! And I don't know what clutch disk you have but a sintered iron disk would be perfect if you want to soften the punch on take off and be able to do it over and over. For your kind of racing I'd use a solid hub iron sintered clutch. You can slip it, dump it, etc and it will take the abuse. That way you don't look so predictable to your competitors. Can't wait to hear it roar!

PFF
System Bot
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2023 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of exhaust gasket will you be using on this engine?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2023 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

Fierosound that looks like a work of art! What engine is that?

Thanks! 3400 roller cam block with iron heads and Vortech supercharger. (built in 2000)
http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-07-2023).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2023 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Thanks! 3400 roller cam block with iron heads and Vortech supercharger. (built in 2000)
http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm

aka my original inspiration!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2023 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lou_dias

5258 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by jdv:

What type of exhaust gasket will you be using on this engine?

There are individual Volkswagon gaskets I can use. There's also a larger gasket that comes with 3.4L Summit Headers that fit well.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2023 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are individual Volkswagon gaskets I can use. There's also a larger gasket that comes with 3.4L Summit Headers that fit well.

I used the VW exhaust gaskets as well. (not sure if they're available in Stainless Steel)
But I got these copper ones with the 1-5/8" hole that people were recommending. (4 in a package)

It's only once I got them that I noticed the stock exhaust gasket and heads only have a 1-1/2" outlet anyway.
1-1/2" rings also available - could have also used those. All installed - no leaks. YAY!!

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2023 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got holes closed up and had the Trueleo headers ceramic-coated. Also engine has been delivered to the shop for installation.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 10-04-2023).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2024 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's going in! Finally! And it didn't take 15 years!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 01-31-2024).]

La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2024 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alright Lou! Can't wait to hear it roar!!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 01-31-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2024 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow! I just noticed this. Your passenger side driveshaft has some sort of support bracket with bearing... rather than I guess what the other Fieros have, which is an absurdly long driveshaft which can probably get somewhat easily unbalanced. This is pretty cool... was this custom, or is it specific to the transmission you're using?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock