86 chop top has begun by CTDIV
Started on: 04-19-2006 09:10 PM
Replies: 132 (8163 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 09-14-2013 12:22 AM
CTDIV

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have completed Welding the mounts for the V8. I also installed new stainless steel brake line from the fiero store.

Keep checking back for more updates

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

IP: Logged
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bump
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2007 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have really been working hard on the old girl. I just have not been very good at doing any updates.

I did my starter work.

I did some work on the interior. I started making room for the subs that are going behind the seat. Here I made the holes and use expanding foam to fill in the holes. Later I will cut the the extra foam away and use it as the base to fibergass and fill. Driver side

pass side

[IMG]http://myfiero.com/uploads/7385_.jpg[/IMG

Here is my new clutch.

Here is my entrire drivetrain ready to go including the headers.

So today I started doing the very first test fit. After I go it in, I took it back out and notched the frame. I installed the heat shielding for the firewall. In do that I had to clean up the holes from the factory wire harness. I also started doing the fill for the speaker boxes.

Well, I will be working so more on it this week. I hope to have the motor in all together by next weekend. Thanks for the bump.

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have finally got the motor in.

I have some questions for those that have done this before. One is what did I do wrong? How can I get this all under the hood line?

Second questions is that I do not remember the centers of the strut tower coming up so high. Does anyone know how the strut tops are installed?

One last shot to show the progress to this point.

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTDIV:

Second questions is that I do not remember the centers of the strut tower coming up so high. Does anyone know how the strut tops are installed?

You've got the strut bushing installed upside down.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what are your plans for the connectors that went through the area you welded up? On mine, I ran the tail light harness through the passenger tunnel where you plan to install the sub and then out to the wheel well area and back to the rear.

When you lower the rear of the car, it normally is suggested to flip the strut bushings over to get more strut travel. So if you are going to lower it, I would leave it the way it is.

Your swap is looking good, but I would suggest running the plug wires differently. It is coming together real clean and organized, but the plug wires just bother me. If you would like an example, I can post a pic.
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I would love a pic. And thank you for the advice. I will make the change on the strut towers. So do you have any advice for the height of the air cleaner?
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CTDIV

112 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Oh I forgot I am planning a whole new wiring. I am buying the 18 circut painless kit.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2007 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I would love a pic. And thank you for the advice. I will make the change on the strut towers. So do you have any advice for the height of the air cleaner?

Here is an old pic... I always buy the cut to length version and run the wires under the manifolds.

It looks like the air cleaner will be close, just put the decklid on to see what you have to work with. If you only need about 1/4" then you may cut the base flange on the air filter or get one that is flat on the bottom.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chops are a beautiful thing !

Any new pics ??
dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes...updates please!!!!

------------------
--David

Black '86 GT-under construction
Silver '87 GT-daily driver

PFF
System Bot
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For how long will this motor stay so clean?

Well I have finally got the motor in.

I have some questions for those that have done this before. One is what did I do wrong? How can I get this all under the hood line?

One last shot to show the progress to this point.

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I clean it and and tuck it into bed everynight...................Really, just ask my wife

------------------

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I would throw in my two cents.

Really just wanted to encourage you to keep the updates coming. I love the roof line of your chop...really anxious to see it with some body panels on to see if it looks as good as I expect. You were doing a notchback, right?

People have commented about your wife's willingness to accept this. Just in case there is any tension there, I thought I would toss up a couple pics of my project and she will understand how lucky she is. This is my kitchen:

I neglected to take pics of the clutch on the counter....or the sink/parts cleaner. I will be moving in December where I will finally have a real garage....can't wait.

------------------

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will keep updating here soon. I have a ton of stuff coming and I cannot wait to get it together. Thanks for the encouragment. I have to say the there is no tension with my wife on this project. She has been and continues to be very supportive. She just like to joke with me about how much time I spend with that car. In saying all that though, I highly doubt she would like to have it in here kitchen. I showed her your post and she said "I love you, but do not even think about it!"

------------------

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have to say that this is a very exciting day. I GOT MY RIMS. It is amazing how the little things can really make your day. Here they are in their little boxes

Here is the tires that are going on them tomorrow.

Here is one of her tires by itself

SO here is a rim by itself. Just had to see what it would look like on the car.

I will post more when I get more. Be prepared I have a lot of parts coming so there will be lots of updates.

------------------

NextFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NextFieroSend a Private Message to NextFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a beautiful project, very inspiring.

Just have to ask, what kind of rims are those and where did you get them??

I don't like a lot of aftermarket rims on a Fiero, but those look awesome!

------------------
D: "We'll just give it the smoke test."
B: "What's the Smoke test?"
D: "Turn it on...and see if it smokes"
---The above is from an actual Fiero repair conversation. Names have been omitted to protect the ignorant.

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the kind words. I got them from vqmotoring.com. They were very helpful and the shipping was very fast. I found them as I was searching on ebay. They were originally listed there but I had a lot of questions so I called them directly. they are 18" rims and the tires are 225/40 r 18
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CTDIV

112 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I got the rims mounted and balanced today. I brought them home and just had to see what they would look like. I hope that the space below is partially because the suspension sat extended for so long. It also needs to be lowerd. Does anyone have any advice on this topic?

I am trying to push it down to see what it would look like. But this was as low as I could get it.

------------------

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got the rims mounted and balanced today. I brought them home and just had to see what they would look like. I hope that the space below is partially because the suspension sat extended for so long. It also needs to be lowerd. Does anyone have any advice on this topic?

I am trying to push it down to see what it would look like. But this was as low as I could get it.

CTVID, good point about the front end gap. I'd also like input on why a car that's been sitting with out much weight on the suspension would make the fiero look higher.
Is this myth true??

Thanks for any feedback.

fierogt28
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005

CTDIV, has a good point. I like input about a car that's been sitting with the suspension unloaded for a long time. (1 month or 2) Is this myth true?? I talking about this extra gap between the wheels and the fender.

Thanks for any feedback.

fierogt28
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Opps, double post. Sorry....

fierogt28
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice wheels.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theres a washer thats suppsed to sit on the strut to keep the strut tops from coming up that high, basically if they are up that high, whats to stop the strut from going all the way out the top when the springs compress.

i learned the hard way with my 84 t-top 3800 car.

matthew

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 10-21-2007).]

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a very busy weekend, although it does not look it. I got the radiator and stuff installed back in the car. I then completed the cooling system in the back. It included a Stewart warner EMP Electric pump. It was very easy to install. I basicallt finished up a lot of little things so I could get the drive train finished up and move on to the doors. I got my new hinges. but I cannot believe that I forgot to get a picture. So I will up load these picture for now. The list of things I have purchased and is waiting to be installed:

Lambo Hinges
Dynamat
Custom interior with 2 rear subs and one front trunk sub
Complete wiring kit
Battery relocation kit
exhuast
Mr Mikes seats and doors
Rear glass, side glass and new front windshield

Also in need to purchase some new lowwer springs and ball joints. As it turns out the front is just not looking they way I wanted so I am going to lower it a lot.
My new rims had to be sent off to get machined. The center hubs were to small so now they are going to match perfect. I should have them back Tuesday.

Responce to ealier post. I did end up fipping over the strut tower caps and it installed a lot easier.

------------------

GT Quick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2007 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT QuickSend a Private Message to GT QuickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering....I saw that you welded a padeye onto the K member to attach the stabilizer arm to on the tranny side of the V8 block. Did the V8 kit call for this or did you decide to do this on your own. If you did it on your own I am very curious as to the philosophy around this decision. Thanks and great looking car !!!

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the kit called for it.

CTDIV
GT Quick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2007 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT QuickSend a Private Message to GT QuickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did the kit say to mount the stabilizer bar specifically ?

phoenixbeginning

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phoenixbeginningSend a Private Message to phoenixbeginningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly what a great thread....and thanks for all the help you've given me with my project.....Michael
Creativity..a dream...using a Fiero as a base, you can have something remarkable ; )
phoenixbeginning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phoenixbeginningSend a Private Message to phoenixbeginningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

phoenixbeginning

228 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Honestly what a great thread....and thanks for all the help you've given me with my project.....Michael
Creativity..a dream...using a Fiero as a base, you can have something remarkable ; )
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

CTVID, good point about the front end gap. I'd also like input on why a car that's been sitting with out much weight on the suspension would make the fiero look higher.
Is this myth true??

Thanks for any feedback.

fierogt28

At times I have had my 88 Mera on jack stands for long periods. One time for about a year and a half. It did not seem to sit higher when I took it off the jack stands.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000
New springs will settle over time. At some time they reach a point and do not settle anymore or very little over many years.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i got to work on it agin this weekend. I am still going to be doing more tomorrow. Today I rebuilt the headlight motors and completed the sound deadner for the interior. It really is starting to turn out. I can see the light at the end on the tunnel.

------------------

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks like it should be quite comfortable inside sound wise........ that is til you turn on the big sub..lol. By the way, where you going to put the sub?
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to be putting one in the front like i have before. this time though, I am doing a different design. Then I am doing two 8" subs behind the seats. That is why I did the mods in the rear fire wall. Thanks again for following the thread.

------------------

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CTDIV

112 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Well I have been busy today. I was able to get at least one door completed. I have to say that it really was not that hard to get these universal hinges installed. It was a lot of trying then, tweak, try, tweak. After it was all done, I believe I can get the passenger side done quicker and so far it looks great. I tried the fender and just have a little triming to do.

Keep checking for updates.

------------------

Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CTDIV,
I sure enjoy following this thread thanks for the updates.
I'm interested in chopping my car a bit and installing the lambo hinges as well.
On the hinges. Can you say where you got them?
Do you think it will be hard to get in and out of the car without catching your knees on the door?
On the chop. How to you go about buying custom glass for the rear and side windows?
How do you go about measuring for the side glass to fit. Make a pattern?
Thanks and great work!
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the hinges from a guy on ebay. I did a search for Vertical hinges for weeks. I knew if I could ge teh basic hinge I could modify them enough to make them work. As far as getting out. The door sit out further then it look in the photo. There is pletty of room to get out.

The glass for the back window can be cut by any auto glass place. the side windows are going to be lexan. however the guy that I got doing my back window suggest useing a fairly new product called "mar guard" It is suppose to be more scratch resistant then lexan. He has already done the pattern.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if an auto glass place can cut the rear window if they could shape the side ones as well.
Maybe they can only cut the safety glass in a straight line.
Or maybe it's possible to shape the glass with a stained glass diamond grinder set up?
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you cannot reshape the side glass. it will break with no doubt. You could cut new glass, but the problem is the bend that you have to put in the shape. this bend allows the window to go down with out hitting the inside of the door. Also if it was straight when you put it up it may not hit flush on the door gasket.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock