Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  MY NEW Headlight Mod What do you think (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
MY NEW Headlight Mod What do you think by Fieroking
Started on: 02-24-2006 12:13 AM
Replies: 194 (39473 views)
Last post by: Nzorn2009 on 08-01-2023 11:52 AM
fierogtowner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the pigtails, I think I can go by from Fieroking's pics.
IP: Logged
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogtowner

1610 posts
Member since Aug 2005
One headlight for the driver side almost done, I had to cut the bracket in half because the rx-7 halos that I purchased are the Euro version and so the high beam will not flush against the bracket because it is a longer headlight.

Therefore I had to cut the bracket in half and modify the one half because the hack saw can't get to where I need to cut.

This is extremely stressful but a test fit was successful. Now it's a matter of replicating the other half. Once they are in place, I don't know how I'm going to get the ground wire to the battery terminal. Question, are the original headlights grounded? Can I just go off of this wire?

If not pics today I should have pics tomorrow.
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierogtowner,

Remenber that the system is a plug n play. One side of the pigtails go to the lights and the other plugs to the vehicles harness. The red cable is for your angel eyes when you have your high beams on, if I am not mistaken. That cable goes to the battery. I hope this helps and don't get frustrated.
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pretty nice expensive tho...
personally i like single bulk light lol
never liked the sleepy eye look
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2006 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The red wire is to power the High beams. You need to find a 12 volt source to power them. The Angle Eyes are the short wires coming out just behind the light units. I put connectors on them and tapped into the running lights. That way you can have just the Angle Eyes on without the head lights being on.

The red wire and relays use 12 Volts and the high beam from the Fiero headlight connector to have the both the low and high beams at the same time, also the head lightr connector for the Fiero does provide a ground. So you do not need to add a ground to the system.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE 2.8 - beater coupe-
86 SE 3.4 -in progress 3800 II SC -
88 Formula GT 4.9 5 speed beast
Enough parts outside for another one
-And a 3.4 push rod for sale in the mall Go and look-

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2006 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for no update, the thing is I had no choice but abandon the project at least for now. The only reason is that the high beam is farther out in the back than the low beam. Therefore, the modified bracket can't flush evenly with the lights, there is no way at for it to work out. I'll submit pics later.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2006 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You got those pics yet? I like this conversion so I am interested if something has changed from the housing Fieroking bought.
Raifalino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2006 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaifalinoSend a Private Message to RaifalinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your lights look awesome! If only I had the time....

Raifalino
pheonix97031

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pheonix97031Send a Private Message to pheonix97031Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a condesnsed step by step? That would be so awesome! If you really wanted to get fancy, you could put it into a word document or PDF and email it to people.... Anyways, PLEASE!!!???

Thanks,

Mike
gunnu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2007 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gunnuSend a Private Message to gunnuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would also like to see more on this, i am very interested in doing this mod
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2007 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This deserves a bump!
PFF
System Bot
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got my headlights in the mail today and i worked on them today. They look great ive got one side mount cut just trying to line it up perfectly b4 i mount it with epoxy and the other mount is ready for its fitment cuts. Hopefully i'll find my camera and take some pics to add to this thread. So cross your fingers i can find my camera and keep this thread alive with some new pics.

-Austin
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Austin - if you're using epoxy, just make sure you leave a way to adjust the headlights and replace the bulbs later on without needing to cut your way in
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Austin - if you're using epoxy, just make sure you leave a way to adjust the headlights and replace the bulbs later on without needing to cut your way in

Good point ! I will have to keep that in mind as i install mine on my GT. I recently purchased the set Alex De Jorge had on his GT pictured earlier in this thread and below.

He got a set of the new ones from Fiero1Fan, but i like these better because they give the car a sleeker more sleepy eyed effect, versus opening up too wide.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-30-2007).]

Vendetta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Thats whats taking so long and plus i'm trying to make it look as factory as possible. I'm kinda a perfectionist on everything even when i know no one will really see it. Its nice when projects are finished but during its kinda annoying. Thanks Austin
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nicest headlight mods that I've seen so far. When you speak of Fiero owners; are we good fabricators or what?

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Vendetta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2007 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah we are. So i broke my bracket today so its been set back and well now im just trying to get them to work and then ill make them pretty.
ly041181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who do I talk to about getting a set for my 87 gt?
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pair just like the pic on the first page. New in the box. Anyone is interested, pm me while i dig out my receipt and find out how much i have into them. The way i am going, i will never get them on and have too many other things right now anyway ....
InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2007 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, i told one of my class mates the extent of the fabrication fiero owners go through and he didnt believe me that some have made pop up projector lights and their own body kits regularly.
Nice to be a part of that (even if i suck at fabricating myself!)
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally found a set of fiberglass housings that "you" used for cheap. They are for the mr2 but no bulb mounting plate. I have to do the mods and cutting to the housing so they fit, After cutting it all I want to re-layer a little fiberglass to clean it up. I have extra buckets and brackets too. I have to fabricate a bulb bracket but that's easy. Slowly but surely.

After dry fitting the piece I see that I have to cut the back and the front to make it work. I will then try to mold it to the stock front plastic flap to aquire the height needed to show the whole bulb.

Where can I find a good deal on the bulbs? Looking for Hella 90's and the brights. Prefer with harness that I can modify. I'm not fond of the ring light bulb that I've seen. I would try to do something like the BMr with the piercing light. Hella WHITE.

Fieroking----- By the way... Thanks for finding other options than the 400 dollor set of spot weld sheet metal + $40 shipping.

Question.... How's the heat holding up to the fiberglass? Is a heat shield necessary?
PFF
System Bot
vafierro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2007 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vafierroClick Here to visit vafierro's HomePageSend a Private Message to vafierroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only a Fiero owner would believe Cadillac and Chevy Lumina parts can be used to build a Ferrari or spend a year building something you could buy for $50

------------------
Virginia is for horsepower lovers....

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply about my Headlight mod. I have not had any problem with heat melting the plastic mounts. The lights have been working great for me.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

fieromikes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromikesSend a Private Message to fieromikesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fireoking..... this is what i was looking for. I have two questions though

1. what kind of epoxy did you use to attach the housings to the factory buckets once the were trimmed.?

2. (I may have missed this one or read it wrong) If the halo lights come on with parking lights what did you have to rewire for the headlights to motor up with the parking lights? the stock headlights don't go up when the parking lights are turned on. i'm sure I can figure this out on my own just thought if you already did it then i won't have to do the testing to figure it out.

I am going to check into HID conversions for these i think. They use H7 bulbs don't they? otherwise a more affordable option is some xenon bulbs. if anybody is looking for these light glow makes high wattage ones that look very blue (bluest i've seen) we sell them at the stereo shop i work for. they run about $40 per pair but thats just what we sell them for.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lights look great any other mod in the near future?

------------------
Happiness is a choice

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To try and answer your questions I used a two part epoxy that I bought at Home Depot, it comes in a tube and is an Ivory color. I have had no problews with the units coming apart.

As I used the the Fiero Light mount the units behave just as they would in any Fiero/ For the wiring the following is how I hooked them up using the provided wiring harness.

The red wire is to power the High beams. You need to find a 12 volt source to power them. The Angle Eyes are the short wires coming out just behind the light units. I put connectors on them and tapped into the running lights. That way you can have just the Angle Eyes on without the head lights being on.

The red wire and relays use 12 Volts and the high beam from the Fiero headlight connector to have the both the low and high beams at the same time, also the head light connector for the Fiero does provide a ground. So you do not need to add a ground to the system.

I hope this helps.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieroking

2144 posts
Member since Jun 2002
As far as any new mods I have started working on my 96 DOHC 3.4 with a FWD Getrag on an 88 cradle that I will be putting in my 85 SE. I also am working on several interior mods for my 88. A new dash with a Caddy instrument cluster and Climate control hooked to a computer controlled heating and cooling system. And a HUD out of a 93 Grand Prix

The fun never ends (I am addicted to my Fiero's)
Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromikes:
2. (I may have missed this one or read it wrong) If the halo lights come on with parking lights what did you have to rewire for the headlights to motor up with the parking lights? the stock headlights don't go up when the parking lights are turned on. i'm sure I can figure this out on my own just thought if you already did it then i won't have to do the testing to figure it out.

Turn the headlights on as normal, then just pull the headlight half of the switch back with your fingernail.

Norm
chevypro101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chevypro101Send a Private Message to chevypro101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got mine from ebay.. Like $170 shipped... Starting cut and trim... They look alot better then the big flip up factory lights... thanks
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... can these headlights be upgraded with bulbs that are have the blue HID tint to them? Or even with an HID kit?

I kind of want a purple/violet tint to my lights...
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about on Rainy days. Won't the rain simply passs through the openings. These lights appears to expose in the interior trunk quite alot. Anyone?

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget to click on the ads!
http://educatorstop15.we.bs/fieropage.htm

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really fantastic looking headlights but I just wonder if the light beams clear the doors. Looks like a close fit.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awsome!!!! Bump for a great mod.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrismclubm:

What about on Rainy days. Won't the rain simply passs through the openings. These lights appears to expose in the interior trunk quite alot. Anyone?

Would it not be the same as with the std lights?
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had these lights for over 2 years now and I have had no trouble with the at all. The connectors are fairly water tight so I have not had any concern with them getting wet. I do get plenty of light from them and they do not get cut off by the hood. As far as changing bulbs I haven't tried to find different any others.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for great looking headlamps!

------------------

Arizona Fiero Club
Support your local clubs!
If they take away our guns, can we use swords?

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2009 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just finished one of these for the driver side of my 86, took all but 30 minutes (thanks to your instructions and pix) I plan on doing the right side and then another pair for the 87 tomorrow.

------------------
1986 Coupe w/ Duke
1987 GT w/ F355 kit & L67 Swap

Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-10-2009 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the looks of this headlight mod.. The stock Fiero lights leave much to be desired and realy suck..

I have found the Rx7 headlight setup on fleabay and this one comes with true HID kits for high and low beams.. $188 shipped.. I think this is the way I will go..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

------------------

Fiero-117A

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-117ASend a Private Message to Fiero-117AEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice. ive heard of a kit that will be coming out soon just like this here in the states.
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Christmas bump just purchased a set. Nice work Fieroking.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock