Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  MY NEW Headlight Mod What do you think (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
MY NEW Headlight Mod What do you think by Fieroking
Started on: 02-24-2006 12:13 AM
Replies: 194 (39467 views)
Last post by: Nzorn2009 on 08-01-2023 11:52 AM
salo4587

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2006 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for salo4587Send a Private Message to salo4587Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what kind of headlights are they

how is the night visibility (high/low beam)

IP: Logged
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More pics of this mod on Alex de Jorge's car.
(pics taken at CFF meeting 4-6-06.)

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-07-2006).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2006 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those pictures give a much better idea of what it looks like... REALLY GOOD!

This is definitely going under my favourite threads... gotta keep this in mind...

------------------

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2006 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you guys think this will clear virginia's safety check?
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

To finsh this posting

7. View of the light unit from the Right

Looking Good!! Could you take a pic like this but not so close and another in the same position with the hood down and the lights up? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 04-15-2006).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do you have to do to adjust the beams ?

What do you have to do to change a bulb ?

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are adjusters for each light (3 per light) the way I mounted them I can get to all of them. However I found it easier to adjust them by removing the unit from the car. To remove the bulbs it is just a matter of unplugging the connector and removing the light bulb

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE 2.8 - beater coupe-
86 SE 3.4 -in progress 3800 II SC -
88 Formula GT 4.9 5 speed beast
Enough parts outside for another one
-And a 3.4 push rod for sale in the mall Go and look-

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For adjustments, i was thinking about drilling holes in the back of the black plastic housing that allow you to stick a thin screw driver through to access the adjustment screws. After adjustment, put rubber grommets in the holes.
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your's have screws? My headlight unit have 3-10mm nuts on threaded rods that come out of the light units.

Joe Sokol

------------------

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oooops - you're right - I just checked. There are 3 rods, (2) on the top with nuts and (1) on the bottom with a wingnut. Maybe put nuts on all (3), trim down the rod length and use one of those tools that looks like a screwdriver with a socket end to do the adjustment. (?) I think grommets are available that big. The hole in the center of the grommet can be filled with a dab of black silicon sealant.
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One Idea I have is to use these light, unfortunatly its not in my budget right now Here the lights are 4in across more info

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 08-11-2006).]

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone that has done this mod ran the lights for a few hours or more yet? I have see lots of cheaper headlight units on the ricer cars (one that looks just like this but designed for a honda) melt because the plastic is not rated for high temp use. The lenses actually sagged as well as the plastic mountings...

If these dont melt after a while I think it's a fantastic discovery!

also has anyone tried chopping away more of the back of the units to make it easier to change bulbs,adjust,etc?

BTW, anyone worrying about too much power can use the cheap Bosch auto relays to switch on the high beams. 3 relays will swich on low and low+high easily as you need 2 seperate wires to trigger the configuration because of how the Fiero switches for stock lights, plus if you get the ones with mounting tabs you can put them in the headlight bay or hood area.

Anyone needing relay wiring details, let me know.

Delphince

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DelphinceSend a Private Message to DelphinceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:
3 relays will swich on low and low+high easily as you need 2 seperate wires to trigger the configuration because of how the Fiero switches for stock lights, plus if you get the ones with mounting tabs you can put them in the headlight bay or hood area.

Anyone needing relay wiring details, let me know.

Interestingly, I run almost the exact opposite. I have my projectors set up to run the lows at full and the highs at 25% intensity on the low setting, and just the highs at full with the high setting. Since my low beams have a horizon and the high beams don't, running the highs at a quarter strength makes them look about the same as the lows from other vehicles' drivers' perspective and help with illuminating reflective signs, both of which are above the horizon.
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An update on the Light mod I drove back from the Northwest Fiero Show last Saturday night. The drive was about 200 miles all at night with no problem from the Lights. The plastic used for these units is at least 3/16" of an inch thick so no issue from the heating up and melting.

Joe Sokol

------------------

Oversteer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2006 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You gunna sell these kits?

Neil
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2006 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

One Idea I have is to use these light, unfortunatly its not in my budget right now Here the lights are 4in across more info

Did you see rhe deminsions of the lights?
Dimensions: 7-3/4"H x 7"W x 4-1/8"D
The lights are 7" across they are huge.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bump for a cool mod.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Did you see the dimensions of the lights?
Dimensions: 7-3/4"H x 7"W x 4-1/8"D
The lights are 7" across they are huge.

There are multiple sizes there I might have linked to the wrong one. This should be the right one

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 10-10-2006).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2006 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you'd be able to get them to work as headlights because of the asymmetrical reflectors. Hella does make other 90mm headlight set for driving and bright light setups. here
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it is getting on toward winter and I am wondering how much interest there is in kits for this mod. I am looking at about $300.00 for a kit. At this point I am just gauging interest.

Joe Sokol

------------------

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Joe, I already have the same lights as you bought, but I'd be interested in a mounting kit maybe ...
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested in a kit.....they are sooooooooooooo cooooooooool !!!!!!!! I am waitinfg to hear back from the eBay sight that auctioned, they don't list them in their store anymore. I am wondering if the 240 SX lights are the same.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rjblaze

1159 posts
Member since May 2006
Can you please check the atomicstreet eBay store to see if the 240SX dual halo replacement lights would work just as well as the Mazda RX-7 lights? They look very similar, but only the original guy who did this could tell me for sure. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to add site and thread links to these replies?
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can still find the lights on Ebay

Joe Sokol

------------------

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieroking

2144 posts
Member since Jun 2002
PaulJK

You had an email

Joe Sokol

------------------

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieroking

2144 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I looked at the 240SX dual halo light kit and they look very similar to the RX7 kit. I would think that they would work just as well.

Joe Sokol

------------------

rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you tell me where on eBay. I did a search thru parts and accessories and found nothing, only lights for the MX6.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
240sx headlights

RX7 headlights

I hope these help.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 10-12-2006).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

topher_time

3231 posts
Member since Sep 2005
I almost forgot, here's my headlights. Uses Camaro housings with dual filament bulbs.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

I almost forgot, here's my headlights. Uses Camaro housings with dual filament bulbs.

Awsome, I'd use those if they where wider.
PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks topher_time. I search and couldn't find them anywhere there.
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on those auctions the 240 lights are regular reflectors, but the rx7's are now in projector for the low beam.
better, no?
RhinoDj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RhinoDjSend a Private Message to RhinoDjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a set of these. $300 is resonable if you make them easy enough to drop right in and go...Put me down for a set if you decide to make them.
rjblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroKing have you had any problems with the top of the fiberglass housing wearing due to the rubbing against the bottom of the headlight door? Did you reinforce this area somehow?
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Basically it would be unbolt the old headlight upper ( 3 bolts) and bolt int the new unit. For the Angle Eyes I just tap into the running light for power on each side. Then you need a 12 Volt source to power the High Beams (there is a relay kit included) Takes less than an hour to install.

Joe Sokol

------------------

Brian27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian27Send a Private Message to Brian27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be real interested in a kit too. Let us know if you decide to offer one...
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got a pair of rx-7 headlights yesterday and I'm finished cutting all of the unnecessary plastic.

Simply put, I need to know how to wire these babies (please elaborate I don't anything about wiring) and how to get the ground to the battery terminal in the rear. I'll post pics later on today.
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wiring is plug n play. The only headache was the wire that goes to the battery. It wasn't hard at all just time consuming. Be sure to post pics!
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2006 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well damn, the camera I'm using is complete garbage and the one I need takes crystal clear pics. I'll just do with this one for now.

The two pigtails go to each headlamp. You have black+blue and black+red, which one goes where there are only 2 logical choices The left or the right? Then you have one other connector must be the power.

On each headlamp, you have 2 stripped ends and 2 other ends, do these wire to the headlamp connectors?

I told you I don't know a thing about all this electrical stuff

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock