Started on: 02-09-2006 11:23 PM
Replies: 96 (17976 views)
Last post by: Jerb on 09-10-2022 02:04 AM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did mine I used these :

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

IP: Logged
chorcob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could not get the hardest screw out so now im getting the dickman tool

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

Bill Eaton

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill EatonClick Here to visit Bill Eaton's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bill EatonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just followed this procedure on my Formula and it works very well. Thanks much for posting this information. However I had an idea when ready to put the new dew wipes into place. Just to make it a bit easier, I used metal tape like is used on heater vents in your home or shop environment. It is very, very thin, but it is metal with self adhesive material on the back. I cut two small squares to cover the alignment hole and the other hard to get in place screw hole slot, with the metal tape, then carefully threaded the screws thru that tape. Since it is metal (as opposed to masking or painters tape, it holds the screws right there. Then when inserting the dew wipes, you can see the holes and align the screw easily into the hole and then turn it into place with a phillips screw driver. I did this on both sides and it worked like a charm. I just happened to have that metal tape laying around, but if you need some - just about any hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. will carry it.

Again, thanks for the posting of this procedure.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you get that last screw out? How do you slide the window sideways?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

How do you get that last screw out? How do you slide the window sideways?

Remove the upper limit stops and the rear vertical track, roll the window up as far as it goes, and carefully slide the glass towards the rear of the door. This will expose the 2 middle screws under the glass. You may need a helper to lift up on the glass a bit. Get a screwdriver that has a very small diameter shaft, this will make it easier to get under the glass and get on the screw. I bought a long screwdriver and ground the end smaller to fit.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Remove the upper limit stops and the rear vertical track, roll the window up as far as it goes, and carefully slide the glass towards the rear of the door. This will expose the 2 middle screws under the glass. You may need a helper to lift up on the glass a bit. Get a screwdriver that has a very small diameter shaft, this will make it easier to get under the glass and get on the screw. I bought a long screwdriver and ground the end smaller to fit.

Got it! Thanks! Now how do I get the felt windows guides out and the new ones in?
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the dew wipe out, slide the window forward back into place and roll it down all the way. Be careful doing this and go slowly to make sure the window doesn't catch on anything because the track is out. Hold the guide by the felt end and remove the bolt. You will need to apply some pressure against the glass to get the room to sneak the guide out. It takes a little wiggling to get it out but it will come out. I did this on a door just the other day, it took a little bit but I got them out.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

With the dew wipe out, slide the window forward back into place and roll it down all the way. Be careful doing this and go slowly to make sure the window doesn't catch on anything because the track is out. Hold the guide by the felt end and remove the bolt. You will need to apply some pressure against the glass to get the room to sneak the guide out. It takes a little wiggling to get it out but it will come out. I did this on a door just the other day, it took a little bit but I got them out.

With all the pressure I can possibly put on it, there is just not enough clearance.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this dew wipe replacement for the second time, and here are my comments. First, I replaced my Fiero Store set of dew wipes because they looked terrible, and the felt was already worn out after just a couple years of use.

Here is a picture showing the door, since I think the picture links for the original post are broken:

The red circles are the bolts for the guide track. The yellow circle is the upper window stop. There's one more window stop on the aft side of the door, it looks the same as the one shown.

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics from the original article are gone but I fond a hard copy I had so I scanned it in, pasted it all together and made it into a new doc.

You can get it here (pdf) http://ltlfrari.no-ip.com/P...ewWipes/DewWipes.pdf

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Pics from the original article are gone but I fond a hard copy I had so I scanned it in, pasted it all together and made it into a new doc.

You can get it here (pdf) http://ltlfrari.no-ip.com/P...ewWipes/DewWipes.pdf

Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add my thanks, too, Ltlferrari!

Also add this link to the Fiero Store for how to adjust your windows when you manage to erase<?> your bolt markings on the door! http://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=365

Larry
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very helpful, thank you Dave.

Cheers
PK

0z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 0zSend a Private Message to 0zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why doesn't anyone just remove the glass to enable access to the screws?
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2022 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 0z:

Why doesn't anyone just remove the glass to enable access to the screws?

I suspect because it's fairly challenging.

The PDF linked above seems to be unavailable, annyone have a mirror?
Jerb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2022 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JerbSend a Private Message to JerbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dew wipes - long job but really not all THAT bad.

Get an air-wedge like auto locksmiths use, couple nylon door wedges, and the smallest-head 90 degree ratcheting Apex-bit driver you can find (used to be a Husky 1/4 and 5/16 dogbone, discontinued. Now Autozone sells it as just the 1/4 apex side.)

Grind a #2 phillips apex bit to very low profile.

----

Tools referenced above as "Dew wipes aren't that bad"

1/4" & 5/16" 15 deg reversible ratcheting dogbone
(Home depot) - Husky pro - 66604 (haven't been able to find on for a couple years)

1/4" 15 deg reversible ratcheting driver
(Autozone or AdvanceAuto?) Toolworks - '1/4" bit reverse gear' '1/4 bits ratchet' chrome body, yellow handle with black overmold

Air wedge
(Menards) - Win-bag 300lb.

Nylon door wedges
(Most truckstops) - Automotive lock bypass kit. It's usually in a large clear flat clamshell type package, red & clear bag to store parts. It's also got a bunch of wires, slimjims, jigglers, strap tool...
Chainsaw wedges (to hold saw kerf in wood open) work just as well. Usually bright orange and softish plastic

For the really bad screws that are camming out, pump the door open enough to get finger between the ratchet head & window, let air back out so . It'll hurt, but it gets them to break free without messing up stuff. Also a dab of 'valve grinding compound' on the bit goes a long way.

--
Then you'll just need to tell that useless cut-apex-welded-to-a-stick 'dew wipe tool' that somebody sells where it can go... sideways, until they have to find a doctor to remove it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock