Started on: 09-05-2005 06:31 PM
Replies: 146 (19384 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 09-14-2018 01:58 PM
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Due to a request on another thread, this will attempt to show some steps to reupholster a stock Fiero seat w/ OEM type fabric.

You'll need access to the following items:
sewing machine
seam ripper
sharp scissors
wire cutters
hog ring pliers
marker (I used a roller ball pen)

One may still purchase grey ripple seat cloth for US$14.98/yd from
http://www.yourautotrim.com
They may still have saddle tan also.

Unbolt the seat w/ a 13mm wrench & remove.

Unzip the seat back at the bottom & pull up. Using the wire cutters, cut the hog rings on the left & right vertical rods & remove them. Don't damage the black material.

Pull the upholstery up until the horizontal rod is exposed. Cut the five hog rings.
Remove the rod from the upholstery.
Remove the upholstery from the seat.

With the seam ripper, cut the stitches at one end of any seam in the upholstery.
If done at the proper end, grab the loose stitching and remove it for the entire seam. If it doesn't want to cooperate, try the other end of the seam.
Repeat until all panels are separated.

Next separate the foam from the fabric without damaging anything except the thread holding them together.
Then layout the fabric panels on the material.

(PS If nobody finds this thread useful, I'll just let it die & not waste time writing & posting pics.)

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-02-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep goin i am about to do this myself actually. Thanks Austin
iSh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iShSend a Private Message to iShEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vendetta:

Keep goin i am about to do this myself actually. Thanks Austin

Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By all means, continue. This is good stuff.

Also, please address any work necessary on the seat foam.

Thanks!

bomaze

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomazeSend a Private Message to bomazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please continue I find this very interesting and insightful. I can't wait until you post some more info.
Thanks, keep the info coming!!!!

[This message has been edited by bomaze (edited 09-05-2005).]

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I agree. This is GOOD stuff.
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah keep it up and then show us the way to put some cool custom upholsterd graphics on the seat. Sewing rules!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also like to see how you finished the project.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iron patterns to flatten folds & wrinkles prior to tracing outlines.

2 most important points:

1. Don't let your pattern move on the new fabric as you trace the out line, may want to use straight pins.
It's OK to make the traced pattern on the fabric a little bigger than the old stuff. NOT OK to make it a little smaller

2. Notice the old material has "V" notches or darts in the edge every so often. You must get these in exactly the same position on your new material.

Cut out the patterns & leave a little extra on the edge. Cut the "V"s using the tips of the scissors as to not cut past the point of the V. Then one may go back and trim to size. Don't cut inside the lines.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-03-2006).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please continue! I've always wanted to do this (my driver's seat is in BAD shape)

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about some pics of Fiero seats with worn fabric?
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly which material is it that one should buy? I suppose one should alos buy the heavy duty thread from the same site? The las seats I re-upholstered, I did on a singer home sewing machine. The machine had a hard time with the material. Can this material be sewn on a home-grade machine?

Please continue with the lesson! I'm sure that I'll be following in your footsteps!!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting post and informative instructions. Question:
You said not to make the pattern any smaller than the original piece. Isn't the old piece probably stretched from years & years of sitting in the seat? If so, isn't there a chance, that when you get all thru, that your brand new cover won't fit very tightly?
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-OEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This must be fate... I just bought a bunch of material that I liked to use for something, my wife has our sewing machine out to fix my daughters pants, and to find this post- I guess I'll be taking my seats out tomorrow.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane:
You said not to make the pattern any smaller than the original piece. Isn't the old piece probably stretched from years & years of sitting in the seat? If so, isn't there a chance, that when you get all thru, that your brand new cover won't fit very tightly?

No, not a big enough of one to be concerned about from my experience. Besides, have patience, this issue will be dealt with in a future installment.

cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Probably could add a 1/4"- 1/2" of foam to fill the seat back out also. Just spray glue the seat foam and cut peices to add thickness.

^ The 1st thing I would think of doing.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

this is actually what I ran into had to add a bunch of foam to fill it out - even the headrest

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050119-1-045842.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044666-2.html

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 09-08-2005).]

Shibbypoopalot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShibbypoopalotSend a Private Message to ShibbypoopalotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question on laying out the old seats and tracing them:

Do we want to cut out the cigarette burns and rips and stuff too??

Alright, I'm sorry. This is awesome. Thanx a ton. I can get rid of my cheap-o seat covers now!

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Exactly which material is it that one should buy? I suppose one should alos buy the heavy duty thread from the same site? The las seats I re-upholstered, I did on a singer home sewing machine. The machine had a hard time with the material. Can this material be sewn on a home-grade machine?

Please continue with the lesson! I'm sure that I'll be following in your footsteps!!

Depends on what you want your seats to look like, ask for a sample. I'm using "ripple grey" to recover an 87 driver's seat.

Some home machines may be beefer than others.

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't help but notice the directions that you laid the pieces on the fabric. It looks like you matched the original direction of the fabric pattern. Nice!
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the individual panels have been cut out, take a panel and lay the old panel flat on top of it.

Check the edges for the proper V notches carefully. Any that are missed (and you will find some),
any that are cut slightly off or are not cut deep enough, re-cut them using only the very tips of the scissors. All notch points on the new panels should be as close to the location of the notch points on the old panel.
Repeat for each panel.

This is the most key step up to this point. DO NOT skip it! You have been warned!!

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-06-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

How about some pics of Fiero seats with worn fabric?

We have pics of about everything else on this forum.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next use the same technique to cut the five new panels from seat foam to replace the worn and dirty ones.

The old foam measured 1/4" thick. The new foam I'm using is 1/2" thick. This answers part of the question of streched fabric or loose patterns.

Cut the notches accurately based on the old foam.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1/2" thick Seat Foam panels
3 of 5 cut
2 of 3 notched

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 09-13-2005).]

dguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright dude, are you working slowly or just posting slowly to keep everyone watching this thread in suspense?
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working full time actually. Leave at 6:20 am & get home at 5 pm. Last evening I also replaced a broken A/C belt.

Last Sat. I removed the front lowering springs from my project car and replaced them with stock to keep the stops from crashing on bumps. Also installed missing torque rods for the deck lid.

Plus duties of normal married life.

If anyone can't wait and gets ahead of me, post instructions & pics!

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 09-15-2005).]

LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2005 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent topic. I will be following this one closely.
Thank you!
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trim all panels to the marked lines, if you haven't already done so. Sew the foam panels to the fabric panels. If any of the notches don't match up use the old panels to check it out before sewing.

Use any thread and stay as close to the edges as possible.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 10-13-2005).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the front panel, grey thread is required due to the exposed horizontal stitching for the dual thickness seat foam piece.

A spool of slate grey Button thread from Wal-Mart for $0.96 is what I plan to use for exposed seams.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 09-21-2005).]

matchmade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2005 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for matchmadeSend a Private Message to matchmadeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+ for you.

I've been wanting to attempt this for a while and my mother-in-law is an excellent seamstress and says she could help. I've just been wanting to get my hands on a spare seat skin before trying because I don't want to mess up my current seats any worse in case I fail to get the job done right.

Please keep the updates coming, I look forward to seeing the end result!

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front foam piece that I want to reuse looks stained. So it gets washed.
PFF
System Bot
Darren's 87 coupe

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren's 87 coupeSend a Private Message to Darren's 87 coupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you doing both seats? If you are, have you noticed any differences at all between the pass and drivers seats? I'm talking only about the upholstery. I think you can put a pss on a driver seat, but want to know for sure. I would also have to use my pass seat as a pattern since the drivers is so torn up.

Thanks a ton for this thread. It really look good so far.
Darren

------------------

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've recovered both in my other Fiero. I think there is only one set of bottom patterns and one set of back patterns for both seats.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 10-03-2005).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Darren's 87 coupe:
Thanks a ton for this thread. ...
Darren

OBTW The button thread is too heavy for the wife's machine, so I'm using a pale upholstery thread instead.

Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how many yards of fabric was used per seat?. does the new fabric match the color of the old perfectly?

mike

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the most useful and interesting threads I have seen here. Thanks for doing this.
DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clicked the bookmark on this one. My wife is planning this for both our cars over the winter.

Keep up the instructions and a + for you

David

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike OHIO:

how many yards of fabric was used per seat?. does the new fabric match the color of the old perfectly?

mike

1 per.

Only if the old was never exposed to sunlight.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Project has been on hold due to installing a new flex plate on my daily driver. Almost have everything reconnected.

Got a code 41 on my 87 coupe project car, 3800 V6 camshaft sensor problem.

If you have more than one Fiero that you're trying to keep in service, things like this seat project take time.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's photos of the upholstery on my daily driver that I did several years ago.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-06-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock