Rodney's headlight rebuild kit by deceler8
Started on: 08-07-2014 07:53 PM
Replies: 6 (499 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 08-08-2014 09:54 AM
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Headlight wouldn't stop running. Probable stripped gear.

Ordered Rodney's headlight motor kit. Metal gear, new bumpers, and screws to reassemble.

Never done this before. It was actually pretty easy, taking about an hour from start to finish.

If I could provide any assistance, it helped having a Dremel tool to do the job. A 1/8 drill bit in the Dremel took the rivets out in no time, and a wirebrush attachment made it easy to clean the gunk out of the gears from the green sand and old lubricant.

A pretty dirty job, but easy with minimal tools. I just remember thinking "damn" when everything worked when I was done.

Thanks Mr. Dickman.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deceler8:

Headlight wouldn't stop running. Probable stripped gear.

Ordered Rodney's headlight motor kit. Metal gear, new bumpers, and screws to reassemble.

Never done this before. It was actually pretty easy, taking about an hour from start to finish.

If I could provide any assistance, it helped having a Dremel tool to do the job. A 1/8 drill bit in the Dremel took the rivets out in no time, and a wirebrush attachment made it easy to clean the gunk out of the gears from the green sand and old lubricant.

A pretty dirty job, but easy with minimal tools. I just remember thinking "damn" when everything worked when I was done.

Thanks Mr. Dickman.

Was this on an 84-86? I used his kit on my 87 and it worked awesome... but from the 84-86 Fieros I've owned, I remember thinking a rebuild would be a huge pain...
deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It wasn't. I started about 7:30 last night wondering if I would run out of daylight, and I didn't.

Everything went according to plan. When does that happen....

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Was this on an 84-86? I used his kit on my 87 and it worked awesome... but from the 84-86 Fieros I've owned, I remember thinking a rebuild would be a huge pain...

Looks like we're supposed to guess what exactly deceler8 was responding to.

Originally posted by deceler8:

It wasn't.

It wasn't what? An 84-86... or a huge pain?
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would THINK he means it wasnt huge pain. If he ordered the new gear most probably it's a gen 1 I would assume.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keeip it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
"Don't hate ... Carburate!"
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

deceler8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, it was an '86.

Actually, the metal gear is a much tighter fit on the shaft than the plastic original, so it takes a lot more force to get it on, but that was the only difficult part of the job. Other than cleaning up all the crap inside the motor from the ground up bumpers and old grease.

------------------

BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rebuilt my Gen 1 drivers side about a week ago and it was painless. I used a TFS kit and it went smoothly. I have found a solvent that loosens the old grease, Hops #5 gun solvent. Left the gear in overnight and it only required a light brushing with a brass brush to make it look like new.
It turned out not to be a stripped gear in mine but the metal eared part that rides against the rubber stops had popped out of it's staked area. I swapped out the old gear for the new one but the old one looks like new so I saved it for the next time I need one. My green rubber inserts were just beginning to break up so I didn't have any green sand issues to deal with, not bad for an almost 30 year old 179K Fiero headlight motor!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock