Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Cabin lights, Floor light, Horn, Trunk button and stereo not working? Electrical Prob

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Cabin lights, Floor light, Horn, Trunk button and stereo not working? Electrical Prob by CKlinck
Started on: 08-06-2014 09:57 PM
Replies: 8 (152 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-08-2014 07:58 PM
CKlinck

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKlinckSend a Private Message to CKlinckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally I had a problem with the Horn, Driver side floor light and stereo resetting every time i turned the car off. I had this fixed by a mechanic who just ran a power cord into the fuse box under the driver side dash. Honestly I have no idea what he did, but it worked. Today about 15 minutes ago I turned on my car to head home after playing some tennis and all of a sudden all of that stopped working. I looked at the fuse box to see if that wire was still plugged in and it was (sometimes it would come unplugged and i would have to plug it back in) I was so confused. It was when i got home that i noted that the cabin lights did not come on when i opened the door and the trunk lid would not open with the button. Also I noticed that my blinkers were a bit slow. I have no idea what is wrong. My car just tends to have electrical problems all over the place.

If you need any more info please let me know. I am not the smartest with cars, I just love to drive them haha.

Almost forgot. It is a 1985 2m4

[This message has been edited by CKlinck (edited 08-06-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your Bat Fuse is blown.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may have to do with a short in the lighter socket. Maybe replace that and get rid of the jury-rigged wire?
CKlinck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CKlinckSend a Private Message to CKlinckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went back and looked at it this morning. Turns out that 2 fuses blew. Also the wire that my mechanic put in was apparently doing strange things to the circuit. I ended up just pulling it out and now everything is working fine.

Also just to put it out there...
I plan on taking all of the panels off of my car and painting them myself. If you have any info on removing the panels and such please let me know
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prediction: It will happen again. Happened to me. I ended up jury-rigging just the radio. It might have to do with the location of the lighter socket under the armrest. There is that light socket for the lighter and it's all right under the armrest cushion. Maybe when you lean on it things that shouldn't come together. Just a theory. Others have replaced the lighter socket. It could be replacing the socket in effect means deleting the light. Maybe try searching the forum for that thread?
CKlinck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKlinckSend a Private Message to CKlinckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

Prediction: It will happen again. Happened to me. I ended up jury-rigging just the radio. It might have to do with the location of the lighter socket under the armrest. There is that light socket for the lighter and it's all right under the armrest cushion. Maybe when you lean on it things that shouldn't come together. Just a theory. Others have replaced the lighter socket. It could be replacing the socket in effect means deleting the light. Maybe try searching the forum for that thread?

I will keep this in mind. For now I will see how long things hold up. Hopefully all will go well.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the exact same symptoms and it was the Batt fuse. New fuse, no more problems.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
driver side floor light plugs into the fuse box, it may be blown or just need a good wiggle to clean its contacts, the radio need power all the time to keep its memory and has a separate power wire just to do that, especially if it is not the original radio.

Change the BAT fuse and see if that helps, they can sometimes look good and not be and then sometime it can be as simple as pulling the fuse and putting it back in will fix the problem.

just as a note of interest,

I would rather pound my balls flat with a sledge hammer than hunt down an electrical problem !

And I don't know why someone mentioned the lighter because I didn't see that in your original post, but then my memory is shot,

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my 85 that had this problem I seem to remember the lighter being on the same circuit.

On a point of logic, as to the other option, what size sledge?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock