Struts - its been a long time by Lowerit
Started on: 08-05-2014 10:43 PM
Replies: 8 (230 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-06-2014 07:56 PM
Lowerit

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoweritSend a Private Message to LoweritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi guys / gals.

I am in the midst of putting my 86 GT back together (after 20 years of ownership) and I am wondering if the go to strut is still the Koni or if someone has found a cheaper alternative. I had a set of koni's outback and somewhere along the way they got lost (when the car was disassembled post northstar and after a move) I will autocross the car and run it at a few track events, but primary duty is street and looking good (lower)

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jholda

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm eager to see what others have done, I need struts all the way around too and need help deciding what to go with.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am running Monroe Sensa Tracs and they work fine for me. I cut the lower perches and have a coil over set up.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
monroes all the way around. Better than stock and cheap enough.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put Koni Reds ("Specials") on mine last year after positive experiences with them on other cars. Very happy with the result - the car is a beast in the corners. If you are going to do any autocrosses, I wouldn't mess around with a cheaper shock that's likely to aerate (Monroe, KYB, etc.). You aren't saving big money, and you are losing big results.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 08-06-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

I put Koni Reds ("Specials") on mine last year after positive experiences with them on other cars. Very happy with the result - the car is a beast in the corners. If you are going to do any autocrosses, I wouldn't mess around with a cheaper shock that's likely to aerate (Monroe, KYB, etc.). You aren't saving big money, and you are losing big results.

I used Monroe Sensa-Tracs in my '84 duke which I autocrossed for four years, and I now autocross my '88 Formula with the same brand struts/shocks. Both cars lowered, no issues with handling.

I'm not suggesting that Koni don't make a good product, but I'm curious... what did the four Koni Red struts/shocks cost you?

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

I bought a set of Sensa-Tracs (two struts and two shocks) a few months ago for my '88 Formula during one of their sales events (discussed HERE).

Price after (cash) rebate... $40

No, not each... for all four of them!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-06-2014).]

Steelsoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelsoulSend a Private Message to SteelsoulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this on the Koni website
Not bar prices either

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_...fid=jYcND6L%2FLeM6RZ 23OaVx

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I used Monroe Sensa-Tracs in my '84 duke which I autocrossed for four years, and I now autocross my '88 Formula with the same brand struts/shocks. No issues with handling.

I'm not suggesting that Koni don't make a good product, but I'm curious... what did the four Koni Red struts/shocks cost you?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

I bought a set of Sensa-Tracs (two struts and two shocks) a few months ago for my '88 Formula during one of their sales events (discussed HERE).

Price after (cash) rebate... $40

No, not each... for all four of them!

[/QUOTE]

Looks like front are $110 each for front and $180 each for rear... with a quick search.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-06-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Looks like front are $110 each for front and $180 each for rear... with a quick search.

So let's see... $580 for Koni verses the $40 I paid for Sensa-Tracs (after rebate, and which also included shipping).

I'm sure that Koni struts/shocks are good, but more than 14x better than what I got? I dunno...

Originally posted by thesameguy:

You aren't saving big money, and you are losing big results.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-06-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock