Overheating Formula, i'm Stumped by hiwil88formula
Started on: 08-05-2014 09:28 AM
Replies: 7 (176 views)
Last post by: hiwil88formula on 08-05-2014 09:43 AM
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 formula V-6, auto. Replaced the water pump, replaced thermostat (tested good), fan works as it should, new aluminum radiator installed by PO, repaired the crushed coolant tubes. I have no leaks whatsoever. If I go on cruise around town it overheats, coolant blows out the radiator cap. I'm not 100% sure the PO installed the radiator correctly. The radiator cap hits the hood when closed, could this be the problem. It looks like a 3 row radiator and i'm not sure they shaved down the lower rubber supports. The top of the radiator is pretty snug in the brackets. Engine runs very strong and no white smoke out the tailpipes so I don't think headgaskets could be it. Kinda stumped on this one.

[This message has been edited by hiwil88formula (edited 08-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, of course the radiator cap should not hit the hood when closed. It's also supposed to be a NON vented cap on the radiator. Did you properly fill the system with coolant making sure there are no air pockets?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When it blows out the radiator cap it goes into the overflow tank right?
Could be the wrong radiator cap. It needs to be "non vented".
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No it just blows out the sides of the cap, and the proper fill procedure was used. Which cap should it have as far as PSI rating?
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

No it just blows out the sides of the cap, and the proper fill procedure was used. Which cap should it have as far as PSI rating?

How old is the radiator? I did a 3800 swapped in to a car with one of the aluminum radiators that was put in she they first came out. No matter how I bless the car it would not run cool and coolant would come out the cap. Traded it out with a new plastic tank radiator, bled one time and no issues..That radiator also did not fit correctly at all..

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.vanhorntruckpart...-Radiator-Cap-10230/
non vented, 15-16 psi

http://myfiero.oceanmoon.co...at-caps-do-i-use-why

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-05-2014).]

hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure on the age of the Radiator PO had no clue about fiero's and farmed out all his work, still fixing that mess. I'll check the Rad cap to make sure its correct and reinstall the radiator the proper way.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock