Slow overheat by fieromatty
Started on: 08-04-2014 07:28 PM
Replies: 5 (103 views)
Last post by: fieromatty on 08-05-2014 04:59 AM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Everyone! Just purchased another fiero. Its an auto 87gt. It has a slow overheating issue and before I go replacing things. I wanna know the best approach.

Some things to note. I drove it from pueblo to colorado springs 50 miles goin 80 with no problem.

I dont see any white smoke coming from the tail pipes at any time. Engine seems to run strong so I think I can rule out the head gasket.

Normaly, When I am crusing the temp stays around 190.... when i hit a red and idle it quickly goes to 220.

After a 15 MIN ride the car comletely overheated. I checked the resivoir and its pretty ugly. looks almost like a rust color. I don't see any of the coolent lines leaking and the send and recieve pipe are not bent. Where should i start?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure your fan is running, and if it is, make sure it's not "wobbly".

------------------

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fan runs and is mounted secure
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieromatty

393 posts
Member since Apr 2010
pulled the t-stat and no difference.
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rust color is probably BAR's Leak. I know my Fiero had that in it and it makes the overflow tank look rusted.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it turned out to be the water pump. I took the old one off and tried to rotate the pully by hand.... it made a horrible silent squeak. I put the new one in and filled it full of water. Didnt even get over 120 deg without the t-stat on idle/ drive for 20 mins.

Thanks for the help tho.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock