Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  I've searched, cant find it. Do 1988 four cylinders have the "revised" suspension?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I've searched, cant find it. Do 1988 four cylinders have the "revised" suspension? by bigjoe25
Started on: 08-04-2014 04:38 PM
Replies: 10 (310 views)
Last post by: TopNotch on 08-04-2014 10:18 PM
bigjoe25

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigjoe25Send a Private Message to bigjoe25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What the title says. What is different about 1988 four cylinder fiero suspension compared to a GT? I know it's not anything like WS6, but what are the differences say between a 87 four cylinder and a 88? There a 88 four banger near me in good condition with the options I want (roll up windows, manual mirrors, manual locks, hardtop.)

Pretty much I'm asking how different the 88 four cylinder suspension is up front? I know you can put 88 suspension in the 84-87's in the rear if you have a cradle. I just want to know if it's a better platform to build on for handling than lets say getting a 1985 SE with all the options I want. Never been in a 88 so I don't know the difference.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 four cylinder cars have the same suspension as the V6 cars front and rear, with the exception that the V6 cars have a rear sway bar that the four cylinder cars don't. It can be added on. There are minor differences in bushing stiffnesses as well, but by now that won't matter since the original bushings are going to be worn out.

Edit to add: The '88 four cylinder platform is a better starting point than an earlier car even if the earlier car had a V6, in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 08-04-2014).]

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 88's have the same front and rear suspensions except for different spring rates for v6 and 4 cylinder models. Virtually nothing interchanges with 84-87 models, front or rear.
Forgot to add that 88 V6 has rear sway bar, Dukes didnt get that

[This message has been edited by TONY_C (edited 08-04-2014).]

bigjoe25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigjoe25Send a Private Message to bigjoe25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I needed to know
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

All 88's have the same front and rear suspensions except for different spring rates for v6 and 4 cylinder models.

The spring rates were all the same in 88 (205 front/143 rear), just the spring lengths changed which raised and lowered the ride height for the different models.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-054238.html
TbirdMarc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the '88 duke have offset front wheels?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TbirdMarc:

Yes... same suspension (minus the rear sway bar), hubs, brakes, etc as the GT and Formula.

EDIT: Ooops, see fieroguru's post below. I was thinking of the front hubs sticking out the same on all 88's, but wasn't thinking of the actual wheels.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-04-2014).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 4cyl cars used the same 14" wheels on all 4 corners. The V6 cars had the 15's with the staggered offsets. The front suspension parts between the two are the same.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-04-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Fiero with roll-up windows. I never want another one. They are wide cars and with the console in the way, it is VERY difficult if not impossible to lean over and operate the passenger side.

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 08-04-2014).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I had a Fiero with roll-up windows. I never want another one. They are wide cars and with the console in the way, it is VERY difficult if not impossible to lean over and operate the passenger side.

I agree, my 4 spd has roll ups, if the car didn't have AC, it might have been gone long ago.

BR's,

Mark
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88 Dukes came with 14" wheels just like earlier years, with the same offset. However, since they have the same front suspension as the V6 models, the front wheels "stick out" from the fenders more than other years.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock