Lighting and gauge issues by Sigler85GT
Started on: 08-04-2014 01:58 AM
Replies: 5 (147 views)
Last post by: Sigler85GT on 08-05-2014 12:18 PM
Sigler85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT has had issues with the none of the gauges working accept for the speedometer. I was assuming this was a bad ground as they all seem to be a sensor input. However when I would use the backlighting for the dash the door chime would ring, so I unplugged that and didn't have any issues until as of late. The headlights do not come down anymore and my running lights no longer come on when the headlights are on. Highs lows work fine as well as the brake lights. The "Pontiac" lights up as well.
the previous owner had the cooling fan switched in, to a relay, but what it is grounded by a green/black wire under the instrument cluster. I was also told the headlights were upgraded to the Gen II headlights, but I don't know the difference by just glancing at them.
Any schemtics or help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
I also swapped out the light switch from my parts car, an 85GT, and it didn't help or hurt the issue except the driver light now struggled to raise on its own power. Seems like bad great, runs alot longer than it should when I turn the lights off.
Phonedawgs you're the man, unless bloozeberry chimes in first. 😉
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like bad grounds perhaps. I dont know where they all are to help you much though.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing that all of the gauges (except the speedo) have in common is the power source: the Gages Fuse. Check to make sure it's not blown and even if it doesn't appear so, try swapping it out for a known good fuse.

The headlight closing power and your running lights all get power from the Tail Fuse, so I would look for a blown fuse there to fix those problems.

If that doesn't start to cure at least some of the problems, then post back here and I or someone else can help troubleshoot further.
Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will double check the fuses tomorrow. Then headlights were intermittent in the beginning, some days stay ing up after I turn the switch off but when I leave for work the next day they are down again. Seems now they won't retract. I guess should mention that the cooling fan runs all the time now, like the switch is burned and just a constant closed circuit, no matter the position.
Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sigler85GT

209 posts
Member since Aug 2010
Ok the fuse is blown for the gauges and the tail fuse socket is burned and melted. Looks like something isn't right here. Thank you for the help. I will be replacing the box and see what may have caused the overload.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock