3800SC 1998 swap-" temp gauge" question by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 08-03-2014 07:01 PM
Replies: 10 (695 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 08-04-2014 05:05 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 1998 Riviera 3800SC is in and running fine. Question is, I'd like to install the 3 gauge pod like I have in my other car (where the volt/oil is in a GT, WILL the 3800 Temp sender "WORK" with the 2" "aftermarket Temp gauges" ??? Can I just run the wire from the Factory GT temp gauge to the aftermarket gauge and have it work ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

My 1998 Riviera 3800SC is in and running fine. Question is, I'd like to install the 3 gauge pod like I have in my other car (where the volt/oil is in a GT, WILL the 3800 Temp sender "WORK" with the 2" "aftermarket Temp gauges" ??? Can I just run the wire from the Factory GT temp gauge to the aftermarket gauge and have it work ?

I currently have a 3800 SC Series III engine in one of my cars and I used a VDO gauge for water temperature measurement. You need to be certain that the gauge and sender are matched appropriately and compatible. I also have another 3800 SC Series II vehicle that uses the stock gauges but the sender and receiver/gauge also are matched pairs.

Nelson
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One gauge per sender each wired separately.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so, if I leave the stock gauge alone, there is No WHERE to put a "second" sender , is there ?? Doesn't the Stock sender Have to remain for the ECM to use ?
Does anyone KNOW that the" specs" are of the Stock 1998 Buick Riviera "Sender" is ? so I can see if it corresponds to the aftermarket gauge
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is room right next to the stock sender to drill and tap for a second sender.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple solution. Use the Fiero temp gauge along with the three pin AC Delco CTS that has the temperature feed connection to the PCM and the pin for the temperature gauge. Direct bolt in but a different connector. These sensors were used on a number of GM cars and some early 3800 series II engines as well. Might save you the cost of using an aftermarket gauge.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to have to Look at the engine to see if there is actually Room to get in there to "Drill and tap". I'm thinking there is no room.
Dennis, now you have me Totally confused, "use a harness with an extra pigtail to run 2 gauges" ? diagram, picture ..?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He is thinking you have the two pin CTS in your engine. He doesn't realize that you already have the 3 pin combo CTS/Temp Gauge Sender alreay installed.

I'm going to have to Look at the engine to see if there is actually Room to get in there to "Drill and tap". I'm thinking there is no room.
Dennis, now you have me Totally confused, "use a harness with an extra pigtail to run 2 gauges" ? diagram, picture ..?

-----------------------------------------------------

There is enough room for four senders

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-04-2014).]

IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the three pin temp sensor will work with your fiero gauge and feed the computer the correct signal.

Having said that though, I still like using two water temp gauges, that is, a mechanical coolant temp gauge and the stock electric one to feed the dash gauge. The mechanical gauges are more accurate and provide better measurement. If you do a mechanical gauge, you will need a 10 foot capillary tube as opposed to the 8 foot ones. Nice to have two gauges to back you up.

Mechanical oil is also worthy in addition to your stock electric gauge.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so, if I leave the stock gauge alone, there is No WHERE to put a "second" sender , is there ?? Doesn't the Stock sender Have to remain for the ECM to use ?
Does anyone KNOW that the" specs" are of the Stock 1998 Buick Riviera "Sender" is ? so I can see if it corresponds to the aftermarket gauge

Yes you must have the OEM CTS for the PCM to function correctly. The 3 pin stock temperature sensor might just drive the aftermarket gauge. Take a resistance measurement across the pins of the aftermarket sensor at ambient. Compare this to the specs of the GM sensor that are in the shop manual. If they match heat the tip of the aftermarket sensor in boiling water. Measure resistance again. Compare to the GM specs. If they match everything will be fine. If not then drill and tap as suggested earlier.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IXSLR8, that is What I would "Like to do, that's what I have in the 4 cyl Fiero. I did use a 8ft capillary, ( Was a very tight and carefully "routed "installation.)
Putting another (2nd) sensor in where the stock one is, is Not going to happen with the engine assembled, there's no way to get back there. (Should have thought of it before I put the engine in) I just thought of it, but haven't looked, IS there a place on TOP of the intake to install a sender ?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock