poly bushing question by gambler85
Started on: 08-02-2014 03:34 PM
Replies: 17 (767 views)
Last post by: Puglet01 on 08-12-2014 02:50 PM
gambler85

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have an issue. I tore apart an entire front and rear suspension out of a 85 Fiero. I had it all sandblasted and now its all por-15 and painted. I went to put in my new poly bushings and I noticed that they just slid right in the hole. Well after some research I found out that I was supposed to keep the old metal sleeves from the rubber bushings.

So my question is, can I press out another set of rubber bushings out of the suspension on my car,and then burn the rubber out once the whole thing is out of the control arms. then press just the poly into the metal sleeve, and then press all that back into the control arms?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gambler85:

So I have an issue. I tore apart an entire front and rear suspension out of a 85 Fiero. I had it all sandblasted and now its all por-15 and painted. I went to put in my new poly bushings and I noticed that they just slid right in the hole. Well after some research I found out that I was supposed to keep the old metal sleeves from the rubber bushings.

So my question is, can I press out another set of rubber bushings out of the suspension on my car,and then burn the rubber out once the whole thing is out of the control arms. then press just the poly into the metal sleeve, and then press all that back into the control arms?

You could remove the rubber from a new set of bushings to install poly but I would recommend these bushings only for a show or hobby car. They make the ride firmer and if they are not regularly lubricated they will wear faster.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For Control Arms... Just get new Moog rubber and done.
New rubber will perform better and last for Years with no Maintenance.

Polly does work well for Cradle and some others.

See my Cave, Bushings and rest of section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done the whole poly thing on front ends, and the problem is that they just squeak like a son of a gun. I've never had a front end with them that didn't. I tried grease fittings, and it was just a maintenance nightmare with very short lived results. And frankly, the performance improvement was negligible, On my present build I'm using Moog rubber bushings.

Edit- so after passing along my sage advice, the answer to your question is "yes". You can simply burn out the sleeves from another set of bushings. If you're not in a huge hurry, and can wait a few days, I'll actually be removing the bushings from my 85 this week, and you can have the housings for shipping costs. They had poly in them, so they've already had the rubber burned out and been cleaned.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 08-02-2014).]

gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taijiguy yeah I can wait. If u can pm me your PayPal info and a time frame. Shipping to 55950. Thanks
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably next weekend I'll pull the old housings out, so it's possible I can send them out the following week. I'll keep you posted. If I recall, they do have small holes drilled in them for the purposes of a zerk fitting, but that shouldn't be an issue even if you don't use them.
gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good man. U can just pm me when u get them out and we can settle on a price
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have poly on all suspension and roll bars. I use anti-seize grease on
them and this keeps them quite. I have to re-apply/rework the grease once
a year to keep them quite. I have had them on the car for approx 15 years
and don't have any wear issues. Note; engine mounts are rubber except
for the dog bone mount (didn't want the ride to be too rough).This is for my
88GT.
rd1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rd1Send a Private Message to rd1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the poly on my rear, squeaking also, they're driving me crazy
Puglet01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Puglet01Send a Private Message to Puglet01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have to re-apply/rework the grease once
a year to keep them quite.
Did you take everything apart and spread it all over the bushings? I just put poly bushings on my front end and I notice it does squeak on the bumps. I put that clear lube on my bushings and grease on the bolts.
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I don't take the suspension apart. I just spread it wherever the plastic
meets the metal. The cap on the bottle of anti-sieze grease has a brush attached to
it. This is what I use to apply the grease. It will always squeak on
large bumps, but is quite otherwise. If this didn't work I probably would have
changed back to the rubber along time ago, but with the grease is OK. It's
just a trade off for a stiffer suspension.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the squeaking issue and ride quality issue with poly bushings is worse on the 84-87 front suspension because the two bushings on the lower control arm are not co-linear (you can't pass a piece of rod through both bolt holes). What this means is the bushings must defect as the suspension is cycled up/down and this is harder to do with poly. So when you add poly to the front lower control arm, the bushings themselves contribute to some binding in the suspension as it cycles and makes it harder for the poly to slide on the metal sleeve and against the side support tabs.

The 84-87 upper a-arm, rear A-arm and all 88 A-arms have the bushings co-linear so with poly they can still cycle full droop to full compression w/o any binding so the poly can slide on the steel sleeve and against the side supports w/o any additional force from binding.

X2 on the use us anti-seize for the poly bushing lubrication. It works well and sticks/stays in place better than grease. Put some on your hand and try to clean it off. Don't get it on your clothes as it won't come off.

------------------
Products: 88 13" Brake Kit, 88 12" Brake Kit, 88 Lateral Link Relocation, 84-87 Machined Front Hubs, Custom Machining
Engine Swaps:
LS4/F40, HSR/SBC/F23, Pro-Flo/383/Getrag, 4.3CPI/4T60, Ramjet SBC/Getrag, 4.9/Isuzu, Carb SBC/Isuzu, 4.5/Isuzu

redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

I've done the whole poly thing on front ends, and the problem is that they just squeak like a son of a gun. I've never had a front end with them that didn't. I tried grease fittings, and it was just a maintenance nightmare with very short lived results. And frankly, the performance improvement was negligible, On my present build I'm using Moog rubber bushings.

Edit- so after passing along my sage advice, the answer to your question is "yes". You can simply burn out the sleeves from another set of bushings. If you're not in a huge hurry, and can wait a few days, I'll actually be removing the bushings from my 85 this week, and you can have the housings for shipping costs. They had poly in them, so they've already had the rubber burned out and been cleaned.

I added gease fittings. So far so good. I added channels to mine and installed grease fittings. Now I can grease them up to keep them in shape and avoid squeeks. I wish i could link in some DIY info, but cardomain crashed my site with all the pics and write ups. Still waiting on them to fix it. I will see if I can pull some pics to add into the post though!

No squeeks and they have been in since 2011. Granted the car does not do daily driving. The ride is stiff but the bushing were not the only thing I did. I lowered it with a coil over conversion in the rear and a spring trim in the front. I can feel the tar lines covering the cracks in the road now... lol! But for an 84... I wanted it super tight. This little car has always been a wanderer. I got poly for the cradle, but never did the job. I think I want to go solid to stop the side to side I have at speed with this little one!

------------------
Please forgive my typos, I'm typically posting via cell.

1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gambler85:

Sounds good man. U can just pm me when u get them out and we can settle on a price

I got the sleeves out of one side yesterday, I'll get the other side done today. PM me your address and I'll just send them out in the morning and let you know what it costs. I can't imagine it would be more than 10 bucks or so. They don't weight a lot and will go in a pretty small box I think.

gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by gambler85 (edited 08-12-2014).]

gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gambler85

292 posts
Member since Nov 2010
Is this just front stuff or everything for the entire car? Just wondering
Taijiguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now just the front upper and lower, but I'm probably going to be doing the back eventually, but that's a ways off. Have all 8 sleeves out now, cleaned 'em up a bit. A couple will need to be re-shaped a little, getting them out without deforming 'em was a PITA and didn't work on all of them, but they're all completely reusable with a little love.

I would suggest removing your address from the thread, and send me your name and address in a PM.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 08-10-2014).]

Puglet01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Puglet01Send a Private Message to Puglet01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is so noisy anyway, that little bit of squeaking isn't that bad. I hear it most when almost coming to a full stop with the windows down. It's probably more noticeable to people outside the car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock