Fiero blowing out coolant and overheating by what would a josh do
Started on: 08-01-2014 05:47 PM
Replies: 7 (280 views)
Last post by: Billy2M4 on 08-02-2014 03:39 PM
what would a josh do

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for what would a josh doSend a Private Message to what would a josh doEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after I replaced the clutch we got the engine back in the car to find out that its overheating. We checked the radiator and found out that a lot of coolant was going into the overflow tank. Then we let it sit for a little and saw the temperature sky rocketed and coolant started spraying out the top of the overflow tank where the cap is. Even when the fan is kicked on it still overheats. I don't know whats wrong.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cracked head or blown head gasket. You're pushing compression into the cooling system.

Check your plugs and see if any are exceptionally clean.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you filling it properly? Did you take the thermostat out when filling? Did you run it then and burp out the air from the thermostat cap a few times? Did you try driving it then with the thermostat out AFTER you made sure it was full of fluid?
what would a josh do

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for what would a josh doSend a Private Message to what would a josh doEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When adding coolant do you have to drain the original coolant in the engine already?
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by what would a josh do:

When adding coolant do you have to drain the original coolant in the engine already?

I wouldn't worry about that. You just got to get the air bubbles out of the cooling system or the coolant won't flow properly. I would worry about bubbles first and foremost.

You have to "burp" the system. I have had luck with a "gravity/burp" fill. I jacked the rear end way up, pulled the thermostat out and slowly filled it. Then started it for a second, filled more, started for a second, filled more etc. Then lowered and used the "burp" system to double check it.

You really gotta get all the air out of there. Even the heater core. Or you might get air lock. With any luck, hopefully this is all your problem is!

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

face78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for face78Send a Private Message to face78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the car get jacked up on the side pinching/crushing the coolant tube? Just an idea. Good luck!
Billy2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billy2M4Send a Private Message to Billy2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine did the same thing after my belt broke. It burned up the head gasket

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock