Getrag 5th and reverse hard selecting by crt454
Started on: 08-01-2014 03:38 PM
Replies: 7 (212 views)
Last post by: hiwil88formula on 08-03-2014 12:27 AM
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the title states, I have always had a hard time shifting my getrag into 5th and reverse. I'm mainly concerned about 5th gear, it is a bit of a struggle to get in and out of gear. No grinding or anything, the shifter is tough to move away from me. I have searched the forum and found to look for cracks in the shifter assembly (I don't see any) and that the select cable may be bad (both transmission cables are new from Rodney). I have also unhooked the cables and the transmission shifts fine and cables move smoothly by hand. I am stumped, what should I try next?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked into your clutch hydraulics? My Getrag's reverse had been a little notchy since I bought the car two years ago. I bled the clutch when I got the car, and flushed the whole system last summer with no improvement. Last month my clutch slave cylinder actually failed and I replaced it. Reverse is now easily reachable - the whole box shifts better.
crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't really looked into that. But just sitting with the car in neutral it is harder to push to the right then it is to the left.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 'select' cable is always the first one to go bad. That one gives you the side-to-side motion. If you disconnect both ends and the cable does not slide easily, it needs replacing.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bent cable end

or

Out of adjustment
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just fixed a getrag that would not go into 1 or 2. We ended up replacing the select arm pin and now it shifts like new. Check for any play in the select arm the one we replaced had a lot of play. The new pin eliminated the play completely. The illustration is here http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=28&products_id=60 Worked for us maybe it will work for you and both of his cables had been fried by the exhaust but still work fine.
crt454

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I adjusted the cables, it seems to have helped some. I do like the idea of the bushings and seems like it couldn't hurt to try.
hiwil88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like I said check for play first before you throw any money at it. It might be your problem it might not be.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock