Painted heat shields? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 07-31-2014 05:08 PM
Replies: 12 (589 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 08-02-2014 10:15 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking about buying some exhaust heat shields for my GT. They look really good. The seller says he cleaned them up and painted them. I doubt these were painted when new and I'm skeptical about the effect of under the hood temperature extremes on the paint. Especially on the one next to the EGR / distributor. When I asked him if he used some kind of high temp paint he said he had no idea what the temp rating is on the paint. I'm thinking this stuff is going to smoke, melt or burn. Any input?

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There supposed to deflect some of the highest engine bay temps away from components. Id seriously doubt they would take much heat painted. Maybe if it was a high temp paint or ceramic coated it might. Id strip the paint and do some sanding on them to get a nice finish. If you want some bling, have them chromed. I painted my header pipes with the same paint used in jet afterburners and it was toast in a few weeks. Even chromed, it could turn blue at hot spots.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some non-painted ones if you want to save yourself some hassle

*shipping would probably be a pain with the size all the way to Cali...*

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 07-31-2014).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

I have some non-painted ones if you want to save yourself some hassle

*shipping would probably be a pain with the size all the way to Cali...*

I guessing the longest one is not more than a couple of feet long. Depending on the price I might be OK with that.

But... these would be going on an '88 GT which was swapped to a 3.4L a few years ago. I'm not sure how many sections were re-installed or left out. I know the one protecting the coil is not present since the coil was relocated to the trunk. The section I am most concerned about currently lacks the heavy insulating sleeve that was used on the original '88's. This would be the long exhaust section that is routed below the EGR. distributor, ICM, and throttle body. Currently, on my GT, this area is shielded by a flat metal shield that partially extends over that area. I have no idea if this is an OEM piece, one from a prior year or just home-made (see pic), but this one is my main concern. The main piece I am considering is a curved and formed metal two-piece arrangement that fits in that area. I assume this was from prior year models and I am guessing they would still bolt into place(?). I also learned recently that the spark plug boots originally came with metal "socket-like" shields that fit over the boots. I know there are others and I am pretty sure the one that fits over the alternator is missing as well. I wonder how important these boot shields are since I doubt many have survived the years and the periodic replacement of the spark plug wires.

Anyway... my desire to replace and/or install the missing pieces is driven primarily by the fact that I had to replace the ICM very recently and am fairly convinced that it's failure was due at least in part to high engine bay heat. So that, and the fact that the PO felt it necessary to relocate the coil at some point, has me investigating this topic.

The pic below is the style of heat shield I am talking about. But not the one that has been painted.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 07-31-2014).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can get some original non-rusted ones, they shine up pretty well using steel wool.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would wrap the crossover with DEI Titanium header wrap. It would look good and do a lot to cut down on the heat. The heat shields look to be non OEM.

Edit to add

We have had good results with VHT aluminum and VHT clear on the heat shields.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 07-31-2014).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I would wrap the crossover with DEI Titanium header wrap. It would look good and do a lot to cut down on the heat. The heat shields look to be non OEM.

Edit to add

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Edit to add

I use VHT on my full 4.9 exhaust. It's held up well and has a nice colour once baked.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I use VHT on my full 4.9 exhaust. It's held up well and has a nice colour once baked.

So the VHT is essentially spray paint?

Sounds good but I'm assuming the exhaust pieces to be painted need to be removed and super clean prior to application. If so, I'll probably go with the wrap or the shields. Removal would be a lot more work than I am looking for right now.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 07-31-2014).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wire brushed those parts around the coil and sprayed them with Rustoleum grill paint. They've held up fine.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On both my cars, I got all the engine bay heat shields ceramic coated the same as the headers. They'll look good forever.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

On both my cars, I got all the engine bay heat shields ceramic coated the same as the headers. They'll look good forever.

They probably work better too.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

They probably work better too.

That's what I figured too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock