A sad Day! by tox1cchicken
Started on: 07-28-2014 08:46 PM
Replies: 33 (702 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 08-01-2014 08:27 PM
tox1cchicken

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok So I have to admit I have been a bad Fiero Owner, After buying my 84' 4 speed about 5 years ago I used it as my daily Driver for 3 years and loved the thing, worked on it every weekend, and sometimes during the week when it would break down on the way to work... It was great for a long time, and then problem after problem started coming up, I was traveling a good 50+ miles a day for work and pleasure, and after getting stuck in the middle of nowhere time after time I decided to buy a new car. and left my Fiero to my dad to drive as needed. He drove it for about a month, and it stopped working, (as the car usually did when I let him drive it) it has sat in his yard now for the past 2+ years and has not moved from its spot.

which brings us to today, I have recently changed jobs, and now have time and MONEY for a life and hobbies, and so I decided its time to revive my little red car. I figured I would run into a few problems along the way, but so far I am not even sure where to start.

I turn the key and get one little click...

I guess what I am looking for today is either some great advice, a buddy to work on the car with (in youngstown,OH), someone who can baby the car back to life themselves, or as a last resort use it for parts to give another fiero new life.

I'm not sure where to start and unless I can get a dumpster to clean out my parents garage I won't have space to work on it safely.

Starter won't do more than just click, Gas pedal is stuck, breaks seem to be locked, and the clutch pedal is also solidly in place.

I am very sad and angry with my self for getting it to this point. please help!

[This message has been edited by tox1cchicken (edited 07-28-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tox1cchicken:

I figured I would run into a few problems along the way, but so far I am not even sure where to start.

I turn the key and get one little click...

I guess what I am looking for today is either some great advice...

You can start by charging the battery.

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You can start by charging the battery.

I just brought the battery from being charged, I was told it was charged but not new battery shape.
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be down for helping out but it's a bit of a haul to Youngstown. But yeah, it sounds like it needs a jump to start with.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try a jump tomorrow, any and all help is welcome.
Does any one have a guess on how much a budgeted overhaul will cost?
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a charged battery doesnt mean a strong battery, leave your car running and jump it see what happens. If just a click try whacking the starter with a hammer, rock or near by object.

CHECK THE OIL FIRST, you never know if it all leaked out. After its running let it idle a bit dont rev it like its nascar sunday, just let everything move on its own. Brakes generally do not freeze up from sitting. you may be able to start driving it and the rust will burn off but you may get a brake dragging, when that happens i usally just smash on the brake pedal while moving and it tends to free it up. See what it does and then see what you need to replace.

for that gas pedal try moving the throttle on the engine by hand, the cable is probably just frozen but i have let cars sit for years without that happening, dont force anything see where it may be binding such as the pedal swivel. bring some pb blaster, your gonna need it.

glad to see people keeping these on the road
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought an 85 2M4 that had been parked for 8 years. Motor would not turn over. On mine the alternator was seized. I changed all fluids and put a little marvel mystery oil in each plug hole and let it sit for a day. After that I put a large socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley and turned the engine over by hand. After that it turned over with the starter but would not start. I had to replace the fuel pump and then it started right up and I now use it regularly and it runs like a champ.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked at the breaks a little closer, break pedal pumps fluid. the whole brake system was replaced about 3 years ago, except for the parking brake, and that seems to be stuck, can't move the lever at all.

the gas pedal does move a little, and looking back at the engine it looks like the throttle is where it is jammed at. I'll see if i can get some of that rust off and get it loose.

the clutch doesn't seem to move at all, and the resivor seems to b low, but not empty.

took the plugs out and I was able to hand turn the engine, but even after putting it back together and starting it, just still getting a small click. not sure how to get to the starter, but I know in the past when it wouldn't start that the lead from the battery to the starter used to come loose and cause this whole problem. how can I safely get to the starter? the car is parked in grass right now, and when I try to jack it up the stands and the jack just sink into the ground.

I didn't have time to try jumping the whole car yet but I will try that this evening.

as for fluids, I'm sure I'll need to replace nearly all of them, but none of them have dried up or leaked out, even the oil in the engine is still in the operating range.

it appears the reaon my dad stopped using the car years ago was when the belt from the engine to the alternator snapped off, he thought the car or the battery died and he never was able to get it started again.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The starter may be bad. On mine the clutch slave cylinder was frozen, once I replaced that the clutch pedal and clutch worked okay.
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off to get something cleared, did the fiero brake down WHILE your father was driving or just when i wanted to started at some point? Then you can say that the engine is fine if it not broke down while driving
PFF
System Bot
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gambit:

First off to get something cleared, did the fiero brake down WHILE your father was driving or just when i wanted to started at some point? Then you can say that the engine is fine if it not broke down while driving

I am pretty sure what I he told me it was after he parked it.

the belt to the alternator is missing, and the car has an aftermarket cooling fan that keeps running after the car is turned off. I'm thinking those to thing killed the battery, and he was never able to get it running again after that. but thats just my best guess
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 'click' means that not enough power is getting to the starter. It could be as simple as removing the major cables and cleaning the connections. They may look tight, but corrosion reduces the contact area. Clean both ends of both battery cables as well as where they go.....and clean the cable connection at the starter.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

The starter may be bad. On mine the clutch slave cylinder was frozen, once I replaced that the clutch pedal and clutch worked okay.

I would hate to see the clutch replaced again, since all the parts on it are just a few years old.
I hate bringing it to a mechanic, all the time I had it working I could never find a mechanic that knew what they were doing with Fiero's I even had a few refuse to look at it. and the couple that did work on it usually messed up one thing while trying to fix something else.

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tox1cchicken

267 posts
Member since Oct 2010

Originally posted by Gall757:

The 'click' means that not enough power is getting to the starter. It could be as simple as removing the major cables and cleaning the connections. They may look tight, but corrosion reduces the contact area. Clean both ends of both battery cables as well as where they go.....and clean the cable connection at the starter.

just got new post for the battery, however I am thinking I will probably need to replace the battery as well at this point.
how can I get to the starter to do anything with it?
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The suggestion of MMO in the cylinders is a good one IMHO. MMO, ATF, Seafoam - something very thin that will work it's way past the rings. Let it sit & soak for a day or so.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way back in the early 90's I bought a 1975 MBG for $500 that had been parked for years under an awning next to a barn. I had it towed to my house, the engine was locked up. I put MMO in each cylinder and let it set for 3 days. After the three days I was able to turn the engine over by hand and after a tune up I got it running. I had a lot of fun with that car for several years and then sold it for $1500.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I just got some new oil, some MMO, and other fluids. I'll try those and jumping it tonight. It had cranks with just a little stiffness. so if that cant get it started what would my next step be?
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tox1cchicken

267 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Ok trying to jump it and I have it hooked up to a strong source and still just getting the same click. Everything else is powered.
What can I do to get access to the starter?
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tox1cchicken

267 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Started turned over! No ignition yet.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might try pulling the spark plugs out and trying to crank it - give the starter every possible advantage. Just be sure to remove the ignition module (so no spark or fuel) and be aware anything you poured down the cylinders will shoot out.
PFF
System Bot
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

You might try pulling the spark plugs out and trying to crank it - give the starter every possible advantage. Just be sure to remove the ignition module (so no spark or fuel) and be aware anything you poured down the cylinders will shoot out.

Starter spun pretty strong. Put everything back and still no ignition. My guess is 2 year old gas might be the problem. But I know gas is getting through.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starts, and sounds decent so far. Put the belt back on and it's squealing. Looks like the alternator is froze up. I'll see if I can get it loosened up or might just need to replace it.

What are my options for my clutch? I want to get this back on the road soon.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brendo907:

a charged battery doesnt mean a strong battery, leave your car running and jump it see what happens. If just a click try whacking the starter with a hammer, rock or near by object.

Ditto with the hammer, the starter may just be hung up from sitting to long and no use.

Sorry just to dam far for me to help anymore than on here.

OOPs didn't read past the first few posts.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 07-29-2014).]

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's it up and running.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like its firing on all four, if you put mmo in the cylinders that will smoke until it burns off. Sounded like it was idling high though. If it was me I would get an alternator from a local parts house that has a lifetime guarantee and keep the receipt.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2014 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Hmmm. Burning off something. Don't burn the belt through if it's slipping, although I didn't hear that, or see belt smoke.

Glad it's running. Haven't had a 4-cyl, but that sounds a bit loud. Does the smoke clear up?

The belt wasn't on in the video. It seems to be running a little loud, but that was usual when it used to run, for the first few mins.
Brendo907

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brendo907Send a Private Message to Brendo907Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Fiero brakes love to sieze if left sitting. Free up the calipers and pads. DO NOT try driving it without getting the brakes working first. The brake lines need to be checked.

Jamming on petals, at this point, is a good way to brake something. Follow the mechanisms. They may be rusted in place.

Replace the battery. Flush and change all the fluids. If the fluids aren't changed, you are encouraging the engine to self-destruct.

The click is the starter relay. Yes, the starter isn't turning. I hope the engine isn't seized. Try some WD40 in the alternator, along with a few taps.

If the car has been sitting outside, you'll probably need to check the wiring & hoses. You should clean the engine compartment. The tires may no longer be safe.

kinda hijacking the thread but what do you reccomend for cleaning the engine bay? the gunk foaming stuff and hose it down? any place to avoid getting wet/water into? Mine is kinda looking a little ratty, previous owner used a pepsi box as a valve cover gasket :/
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so does anyone have a solution on how I can get the alternator out? its such a small area to work in, and I still can't get the car on stands where it is sitting in the yard. is there an easy way to pull it out from the top?
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still pretty new to this whole mechanic thing but I live pretty close and have a fair amount of free time. I couldn't really advise you on mechanical stuff very much but I'd love to learn some stuff first hand and am more than willing to come down and provide an extra set of hands if you need any.

As for getting it up to work on it... does it roll? Can you get it up on a ramp? It's not much but at least it's something... If not try putting some boards under the jacks to distribute the weight and prevent them from sinking.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took off the tire and wheel well liner and was able to get enough access to replace my alternator.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock