Radiator fan and AC question by pHoOl
Started on: 07-28-2014 09:47 AM
Replies: 12 (374 views)
Last post by: pHoOl on 08-13-2014 10:38 AM
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last hot day that I was driving, I noticed my engine temp seemed higher than normal, and when I hit the AC to turn it on, I didn't hear the fan come on. Popped the hook while in traffic to take a quick look, and sure enough it was not running. My AC has worked fine for the last few years that I've had the car, and even seemed to be working earlier this summer. I've got an 86GT with the stock R12 coolant.

So I took it into a shop and they called saying they think I'm just low on R12. That if my coolant is low, the fan won't turn on, and that it'll still come on if the engine gets warm, but that the temp set for that is something like 240*.

From previous Fiero experience, I thought the radiator fan should come on when you hit the AC button no matter if you have Freon or not. At least, that's what I used to do in my 88GT whenever it would start getting warm.

I tried turning the ignition and AC on without the engine running in the garage, and I could hear what sounded like the AC trying to click on in the rear, but the fan still didn't turn on.

All this said, the shop confirmed that the fan is not seized and is working properly.

Any ideas on where I should start looking? I'm wondering if there's a switch or whatnot from the AC unit that's not telling the fan to come on properly.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you detach the wire at the temp sensor on the engine and ground it to the block, the fan should turn on. If it does, there is a problem with your A/C circuit.

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't had a chance to try the wire yet, but I did confirm that the fan DOES NOT come on with heat. Kinda warm day today, got stuck in traffic and it was around 220. Got home, let it idle in the driveway for a bit, and it warmed up til the light came on. Tried turning on the A/C, nothing. No fan, no AC.

Drove it around til it cooled off, didn't take long. Going to try checking that wire this weekend.

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by TONY_C (edited 08-08-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also always thought the fan should come on when you push the AC button even if the AC isnt working too.
The stock fan switch is set to turn it on at 235 degrees. I recommend getting a lower one from Rodney.
http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html engine/Low Temp Radiator Fan Switch

I run the 210° on / 200° off switch .

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-08-2014).]

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I think I found that fan switch you were talking about. Take a look in the pic. So I disconnected, shorted it to the block. The rear blower fan came on (86GT), the one that blows on the ignition coil or whatver. But the one in the front did not turn on.

Where does that leave me? Should I start checking fuses and/or relays?

------------------
97 Suzuki GSXF 600
04 Saturn Ion Redline
86 Fiero GT

AIM: phool88fiero

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fan relay in front is bad.
In front of the left headlight.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, good news bad news. Good news is that my fan relay was bad. Plugged it in and the fan came on when it was supposed to.

Potentially bad news. I started it up in the garage. Didnt drive anywhere but turned the ac on with engine running. I heard a click in the rear and the engine would bog down for a sec. Then itd idle normal for about ten seconds then click and bog for a second.

I think thats my ac clutch trying to engage. Should I drive it around, let the engine come up to temp before trying the ac again and coming to any conclusions?
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pHoOl

2496 posts
Member since Jun 2000
I should prob also note. Ambient temp is in the mid to high 60s maybe low 70s
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should prob also note. Ambient temp is in the mid to high 60s maybe low 70s
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the refrigerant is low.
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Ok, good news bad news. Good news is that my fan relay was bad. Plugged it in and the fan came on when it was supposed to.

Potentially bad news. I started it up in the garage. Didnt drive anywhere but turned the ac on with engine running. I heard a click in the rear and the engine would bog down for a sec. Then itd idle normal for about ten seconds then click and bog for a second.

I think thats my ac clutch trying to engage. Should I drive it around, let the engine come up to temp before trying the ac again and coming to any conclusions?

My Ac will click about every 20-30 seconds when idling I was told this is normal. 10 seconds does seem excessive and is probly due to low refrigerant.
For sure I'd drive it around 1st tho, nothing to lose.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good. I'll test and report back. Ive got 1 can of freon on the shelf. Doubt itd be enough to fill it if its empty but ifbits just low it might work

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock