which motor swap? sc3.8 or 4.9 caddy? by atcrider1
Started on: 07-24-2014 03:53 PM
Replies: 20 (563 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 07-25-2014 08:43 PM
atcrider1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for atcrider1Send a Private Message to atcrider1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whats up guys, i have a 1984 se that im looking to do a motor swap in .right now its a 2.5 3 speed auto, i really dont want another duke lol. i have two motors, but i cant decide on which one i want to use. right now its between a sc3800 out of a regal, or a 4.9 caddy v8. both have low miles. what one is the easier swap? which one will be easier to wire? am i gonna break anything with either one?

thanks for any input
cody

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they are both low mile units, you have the tranny with the engine, the PCM for each motor.....the swaps are comparable in regards to difficulty. Wiring for either motor is similar in regards to difficulty.
You won't break anything IF you have the tranny for the swap motor. If you plan on using the tranny now in your car, it will not last long with either engine, you should find the proper tranny for the engine you decide on.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done 3800SC swaps and am now in the process of doing a 4.9L swap. I agree with olejoedad that the swaps are comparable as far as labor goes but cost is a different matter. I would also agree that keeping the complete powertrain together is the best way to longevity and reliability. The Fiero manual boxes were just not designed to take high torque.
I started with a new engine and have over $7,000 invested in my 3800SC swap but I did add many mods. I have less than $1500 invested in my 4.9L swap so far and will probably get the job done for under $2000.
If you are looking to keep swap costs to a minimum and are content with 275 ft lbs of torque @200HP (not bad actually) the 4.9L is for you. Except for the front engine mounts the 4.9L uses all off the shelf GM parts and you can even buy the ready made front mount from West Coast Fiero.
If your objective is to keep modifying and adding more power, then the 3800SC offers more potential but at a considerably higher 2 x to 4x price .
Both swaps offer comparable HWY gas mileage but the 3800SC is more economical around town.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
If your objective is to keep modifying and adding more power, then the 3800SC offers more potential but at a considerably higher 2 x to 4x price .

Comparing cost of modding the engines is hardly a fair comparison though. There's basically zero aftermarket parts available for the 4.9L, and a huge amount for the 3800. With the 4.9, you can throw a turbo on, and you're basically as far as you can take it.

If you can get both engines/drivetrains at roughly the same price, they're both going to cost roughly the same to install in a Fiero.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think what you want to do with it at the end should dictate which engine to chose. If you like to obey the speed limits, don't plan on racing this at the track but want to pin your passenger in the seat going from light to light, then you will want the 4.9. The 4.9 torque at the low end is unbeatable. However, if the next light stays green and you want to keep your foot down, then you'll probably prefer the 3800sc. Much more that you can do with the 3800sc....perfect for a track car, and much better at the high end.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Comparing cost of modding the engines is hardly a fair comparison though. There's basically zero aftermarket parts available for the 4.9L, and a huge amount for the 3800. With the 4.9, you can throw a turbo on, and you're basically as far as you can take it.

If you can get both engines/drivetrains at roughly the same price, they're both going to cost roughly the same to install in a Fiero.

There was no mention that the 4.9L was modifiable in my post or any cost comparison of modifying such. On cost the 4.9L swap seems to be going in way cheaper than my 3800SC did as it doesn't require all the custom swap parts that the 3800SC does. My 3800 has custom mounts, custom axles, a trans shift bell crank and some modification "hot rod" parts. that I could not resist. On the 4.9L you can use standard GM trans mounts "off the shelf" axles and a modified shift lever . Since you will be keeping the 4.9L stock you won't have the temptation to modify unless you decide to turbo and change throttle bodies, ECM's and retune. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

atcrider1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for atcrider1Send a Private Message to atcrider1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, as of now I only have the engines. No trannys, will the th125 hold up to the 4.9 for a little while? Lol, what's needed to wire the 4.9 ecm? My brother has a n/a 3800 in his sand rail and its only like 3 wires to make it run.

Sorry for all the questions lol this is my first fiero and I'm tired of seeing it sit our back blown up haha
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just my 2 cents worth, but i'd NEVER sink a lot of money into an 84 cause you'll NEVER get it out of it .....
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

just my 2 cents worth, but i'd NEVER sink a lot of money into an 84 cause you'll NEVER get it out of it .....

I agree to a point. I would personally never bother with a pre 88 Fiero since I don't like the feel of the suspension/steering). With that said, anyone pouring money into a mass produced 1980's economy car should have no expectation of ever getting their money back upon resale. These cars are a hobby, not an investment.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the last Fiero on earth 200 years from now may be worth slightly over scrap metal price.....
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I agree to a point. I would personally never bother with a pre 88 Fiero since I don't like the feel of the suspension/steering). With that said, anyone pouring money into a mass produced 1980's economy car should have no expectation of ever getting their money back upon resale. These cars are a hobby, not an investment.

Ditto. Putting money into a Fiero will never (well... extremely rarely) see a return on investment.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 07-25-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Well, the last Fiero on earth 200 years from now may be worth slightly over scrap metal price.....

Slightly, but not much.

It'll be an underwhelming example of an obsolete technology at that point. How much is an 1814 stagecoach worth nowadays?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Slightly, but not much.

It'll be an underwhelming example of an obsolete technology at that point. How much is an 1814 stagecoach worth nowadays?

Assuming there's any scrap or humans left around that would even care, in 200 years.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO, you should shelve the engine swap and instead spend your money on a move to some location that isn't covered by snow in July.
atcrider1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for atcrider1Send a Private Message to atcrider1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im not too worried about getting my money back on it a anytime soon lol i plan on having it for a while, i like it too much to sell it whether its an 84 or not haha
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Slightly, but not much.

You might be surprised!

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

that's odd.. I think the open wheel guys might have something to say about that.. as the 4.9 and 4.0 olds are the same basic family..
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by PaulJK:

some build them to enjoy ,not looking to make every penny, back.. soe say the enjoyment while you own it, has some worth..

I'll bet also that money spent on my 84 will bring more than any other fiero model/year out there..
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

that's odd.. I think the open wheel guys might have something to say about that.. as the 4.9 and 4.0 olds are the same basic family..

If you're talking about the 4.0 Aurora V8, it is not like the 4.9 at all. It's a Northstar engine.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, they are both aluminum blocks...
The 4.9 is a ohv cam-in-block pushrod engine, you are thinking 4.6 north star.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll bet also that money spent on my 84 will bring more than any other fiero model/year out there..

That seems like a strange thing to say. Assuming equivalent condition base cars, with identical swaps, you would get much more for an 88 if you were to sell them.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock