Helmholtz Resonator? by White 84 SE
Started on: 07-24-2014 02:44 PM
Replies: 5 (321 views)
Last post by: Zac88GT on 07-26-2014 11:14 AM
White 84 SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone try or know anything about Helmholtz resonators. I heard they can give power and dampen sound a little. Seems like something the Duke can especially use. Where would they be connected? Apparently they can be tuned to resonate at particular frequencies..say at cruising RPM etc.

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They don't do anything for power and use sound cancellation to reduce cruise rpm drone common with 3" or larger exhausts.

the hard part is finding room to route a 26"+ section of pipe for the resonator.

I need to measure, but I think there is 26"+ of pipe on the passenger outlet of my magnaflow muffler. If there is I could install an electric cutout on that pipe and reduce the cruise rpm drone. Or just cut the trunk and install the vibrant performance ultra quiet resonator (used it on my last swap with a very similar exhaust setup) and it was drone free.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Helmholtz resonators are also used to cancel out intake noise.

You *CAN* design an intake plenum and ram-tube to operate as a Helmholtz resonator if you have 4 or fewer cylinders pulling from the plenum. It can boost torque at one RPM point, but will ALWAYS reduce torque at another RPM point.
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Helmholtz resonators are also used to cancel out intake noise.

You *CAN* design an intake plenum and ram-tube to operate as a Helmholtz resonator if you have 4 or fewer cylinders pulling from the plenum. It can boost torque at one RPM point, but will ALWAYS reduce torque at another RPM point.

oh... Thanks Will!

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can probably find a photo of an exhaust helmholtz chamber if you look at photos of 350Z exhaust systems.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Mazda K series V6's use a helmholtz intake manifold with 3 different chambers that it switches between.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock